DE or Distro with REAL scrollbars

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
User avatar
greerd
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 978
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:58 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: DE or Distro with REAL scrollbars

Post by greerd » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:33 am

appalbarry wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:19 am
OK smartasses who apparently don't see the problem in making significant changes to fundamental UI elements, two questions.
:mrgreen:
appalbarry wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:19 am
1) Again... what problem is solved by disappearing scroll bars ? What do they offer that's so valuable? Still haven't found anyone to answer that question.
My guess, to maximize screen real estate for laptops and such.
appalbarry wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:19 am
2) Are you part of the group that still gripes about the MS Office "ribbon" a decade after it arrived? Or who criticized Windows 10 for abandoning an entire UI in favour of tiles stuck to the desktop?
Not me, at work we're still on Win7 with Office 2010, but I complain about Win7 anyhow, never used anything newer than Win7.

User avatar
Moem
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6520
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: DE or Distro with REAL scrollbars

Post by Moem » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:38 am

appalbarry wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:19 am
1) Again... what problem is solved by disappearing scroll bars ? What do they offer that's so valuable? Still haven't found anyone to answer that question.
That's a question for the developer(s) to answer. I'm a mere user so I have no idea.
2) Are you part of the group that still gripes about the MS Office "ribbon" a decade after it arrived? Or who criticized Windows 10 for abandoning an entire UI in favour of tiles stuck to the desktop?
No. Never used either of them.

In the meantime, two people have offered you good, workable solutions to both of your problems, which have apparently been botherning you for years, and I'm honestly wondering why that doesn't seem to make you any happier. Personally I would be pleased as punch (and a tiny bit sheepish).
Oh, and it might be nice to thank them.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

ScotchMist
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:44 am

Re: DE or Distro with REAL scrollbars

Post by ScotchMist » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:53 am

:mrgreen:

This thread.... lol

User avatar
JerryF
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2890
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:23 pm
Location: Rhode Island, USA

Re: DE or Distro with REAL scrollbars

Post by JerryF » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:10 pm

appalbarry wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:19 am
OK smartasses who apparently don't see the problem in making significant changes to fundamental UI elements, two questions.

1) Again... what problem is solved by disappearing scroll bars ? What do they offer that's so valuable? Still haven't found anyone to answer that question.
It's not a problem to be solved, it's a choice that some people like. Not everyone uses the computer (and scrollbars) as you do.
appalbarry wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:19 am
2) Are you part of the group that still gripes about the MS Office "ribbon" a decade after it arrived? Or who criticized Windows 10 for abandoning an entire UI in favour of tiles stuck to the desktop?
Not anymore.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

Post Reply

Return to “Cinnamon”