Thunar not having option to run scripts

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
awaisali
Level 1
Level 1

Thunar not having option to run scripts

Post by awaisali » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:37 am

Until recently, I could double-click a script (or link to a script) in Thunar or on the XFCE desktop, and it would execute

Now, however, when I double-click a script, it opens in Leafpad (my text editor). I've browsed the wiki and searched the forum and web, but can't find any clues as to what has changed or why this is happening.

I can right-click in Thunar and use the "Open With>" option to set the script to open with another application, but there's no obvious option to run a script. Opening with a terminal emulator results in a brief hourglass, then nothing.

The script I'm testing with (the Tor Browser Bundle startup script) is in my /home/myname directory, has -rwx------ permissions (with me as the owner), and the file type in Thunar shows "shell script". It runs fine if I execute it in a terminal with "sh /path/to/script" -- just not via Thunar or the XFCE desktop.

Can anyone suggest anything I could check?

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Thunar not having option to run scripts

Post by Moem » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:56 am

Mod note:
This topic was split off from viewtopic.php?f=57&t=202303
Please do not revive old topics, start new ones instead. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:24 am

There was, if I remember correctly, mention some time ago (previous version of Thunar) that Thunar defaults to not automatically running scripts. Probably as a basic security measure, preventing users from unknowingly - or at least unthinkingly - running a malicious one.

Here, I found a thread with the announcement:
viewtopic.php?t=202303

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

trytip
Level 8
Level 8

Post by trytip » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:48 pm

yes that's how Thunar and Dolphin works. you want executable scripts you need a GTK file manager . nautilus,nemo,caja
Last edited by trytip on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

all41
Level 13
Level 13

Post by all41 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:27 pm

I am not that familiar with XFCE but this sounds impossible.
Is it that you are unable set a script as executable even using chmod to set the attributes,
or is it just Thunar's gui does not have an option for setting a file to be executable?
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

trytip
Level 8
Level 8

Post by trytip » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:05 am

yes thunar has ability to run binary files as executable but double clicking on an example.sh will just open it in text editor not run it. i don't mind it. if i need to run a script i open directory in terminal and drag the script in there.

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hoser Rob » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:49 am

trytip wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:48 pm
yes that's how Thunar and Dolphin works. you want executable scripts you need a GTK file manager . nautilus,nemo,pluma
Thunar IS written using GTK.

Return to “Xfce”