Before you post please read how to get help
very
Level 1
Level 1

Firefox gives SSL/TLS error on visiting amazon.com

Post by very » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:14 pm

On linuxmint 18, fully updated, i can't visit amazon. I'm getting an error:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.amazon.com. Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s). Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

this is a virgin firefox profile (no addons).

www.ssllabs.com says:
Protocol Support
Your user agent has good protocol support.
Your user agent supports TLS 1.2, which is recommended protocol version at the moment.
Experimental: Your user agent supports TLS 1.3.

TLS 1.3 Yes
TLS 1.2 Yes
TLS 1.1 Yes
TLS 1.0 Yes
SSL 3 No
SSL 2 No

which all looks pretty good as far as I can tell. Anyone know whats going on?

ststech
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Firefox gives SSL/TLS error on visiting amazon.com

Post by ststech » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:30 pm

Hey gentleman I am new here. My name is Mark Yates. I do tech services as a self employed person and I am looking to get better in supporting linux distros such as Linux Mint.

Does refreshing the browser page by hitting F5 as suggested earlier resolve the issue?

If not try clearing your web browser cache and cookies under the Firefox browser settings. If still not resolved answer the questions below.

1) Is it happening in any web browser (ie. try another web browser)?
2) If you have a Windows install does it happen in Windows and or on any other computer?

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Pierre » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:28 pm

Hi Mark,
on my PCs it seems that hitting F5 to refresh the connection, doesn't always fix the issue.

as well as that, this Firefox Error "Secure Connection Failed" is occurring on a couple of sites,
that I'd visit on a regular basis. generally speaking, I'm having to use a work-around to visit those sites.
ie: these sites are typically a Forum Site, rather than a sales site, such as the Amazon Web Site.

all of these issues did start occurring after Firefox introduced that HTTPS everywhere policy,
ie: there were none of these issues, prior to the introduction of this policy.
NB: this is based on my experiences, over the past few months, or so.

when this issue was researched, by myself, at the time when this Firefox policy was introduced,
the official Firefox policy was that, this was an issue on the target web site,
and that it was up to that web site's maintainer to resolve this issue.
:(

and NO - - as yet, I've not bothered to check to see if this issue does exist on an machine
that was still running the Windows based system - so that's an unknown.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

very
Level 1
Level 1

Post by very » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:28 pm

F5 refreshing does not fix the problem. doing a hard refresh (Ctrl+F5) does not fix the problem.

thx-1138
Level 6
Level 6

Post by thx-1138 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:29 pm

...with the browser closed, open your Firefox profile folder (/home/your-account-name/.mozilla/firefox/mwad0hks.default),
& rename the following files (or even better, move them temporarily elsewhere): cert8.db, cert9.db, secmode.db & pkcs11.txt
If that doesn't fix it, then move them back.

ststech
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ststech » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:33 pm

Okay that is great information to have. If it's happening only on the two or three sites your visiting it does seem like it's an issue with them having to fix there SSL. There is an HTTPS rewrite code that needs to be inserted by the site owners.

I would try and get in touch with them to verify they are compliant with the new Firefox policy or to see if they know what your talking about. Other than that perhaps resetting the web browser back to factory settings will do the trick and verifying your upgraded to the latest version.

So try those few things suggested and what the other commenter wrote. If your problem isn't resolved after trying all of that simply reply back. If you need help resetting Firefox to factory settings also reply inline. Thanks for the update and I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I will do my best to be more responsive going forward.

Return to “Software & Applications”