Set Atom as Default Editor for FileZilla [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
nupwing
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:55 am

Set Atom as Default Editor for FileZilla [SOLVED]

Post by nupwing » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:00 am

Hello Mint community,
I am a brand new user that seeks your help.
Recently I have installed Linux Mint 19 Tara on my home PC. Since I am a Web Developer I do use FileZilla quite alot and I am used to connecting to the server and directly editing files by right clicking them and going to View/Edit which will locally open the file on your computer and then insta reupload it when you're done editing it.

My question is: What is the path to the atom "executable"?
What kind of path/command do I need to give fileZilla so that it knows to always open files with Atom?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Andi
Last edited by nupwing on Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lalincedeldeserto
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:03 am

Re: Set Atom as Default Editor for FileZilla

Post by lalincedeldeserto » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:42 am

nupwing wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:00 am
Hello Mint community,
I am a brand new user that seeks your help.
Recently I have installed Linux Mint 19 Tara on my home PC. Since I am a Web Developer I do use FileZilla quite alot and I am used to connecting to the server and directly editing files by right clicking them and going to View/Edit which will locally open the file on your computer and then insta reupload it when you're done editing it.

My question is: What is the path to the atom "executable"?
What kind of path/command do I need to give fileZilla so that it knows to always open files with Atom?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Andi
Hi!!! :) :) :) :)
You could try the command whereis package_name so in your case, open the terminal and type:

whereis atom

Press enter and it turns out paths to executables.
Then copy the path in FileZilla.
Remember this command! Is very useful :wink:
But I don't use FileZilla, so for the second question I suggest, you shall go somewhere in settings
I found a post here that could be a solution: https://askubuntu.com/questions/214023/ ... -filezilla

User avatar
kc1di
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4742
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 pm
Location: Maine USA

Re: Set Atom as Default Editor for FileZilla

Post by kc1di » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:04 am

How did you install atom?
most executables are found in /usr/bin/<filename>
some get install in /opt/<pacakage name>/<filename>
Easy tips : https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

nupwing
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:55 am

Re: Set Atom as Default Editor for FileZilla

Post by nupwing » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:11 am

lalincedeldeserto wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:42 am
nupwing wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:00 am
Hello Mint community,
I am a brand new user that seeks your help.
Recently I have installed Linux Mint 19 Tara on my home PC. Since I am a Web Developer I do use FileZilla quite alot and I am used to connecting to the server and directly editing files by right clicking them and going to View/Edit which will locally open the file on your computer and then insta reupload it when you're done editing it.

My question is: What is the path to the atom "executable"?
What kind of path/command do I need to give fileZilla so that it knows to always open files with Atom?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Andi
Hi!!! :) :) :) :)
You could try the command whereis package_name so in your case, open the terminal and type:

whereis atom

Press enter and it turns out paths to executables.
Then copy the path in FileZilla.
Remember this command! Is very useful :wink:
But I don't use FileZilla, so for the second question I suggest, you shall go somewhere in settings
I found a post here that could be a solution: https://askubuntu.com/questions/214023/ ... -filezilla
Hey thanks for your answer I will surely try to remember this command. :D :D :D :D
The problem is not really how to set filezilla up. All I need is the correct path to Atom.

I will check the whereis command the moment I am home in front of my pc :D
kc1di wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:04 am
How did you install atom?
most executables are found in /usr/bin/<filename>
some get install in /opt/<pacakage name>/<filename>
Hello :D
I have installed Atom trough the software center.

User avatar
kc1di
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4742
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 pm
Location: Maine USA

Re: Set Atom as Default Editor for FileZilla

Post by kc1di » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:39 am

Ok the atom editor in the software center is a flatpak program. Which means it doesn't really get installed in the system.
it is placed in either

Code: Select all

/var/lib/flatpak/app/
or in

Code: Select all

/home/.local/share/
you will have to point filezilla's setting in edit>settings>file editing to other and point it to the executable found in one of those locations.
good luck.
P.S. there is a .deb download available from the io site found herehttps://atom.io which may be easier to use that the flatpak.
Easy tips : https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

nupwing
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:55 am

Re: Set Atom as Default Editor for FileZilla

Post by nupwing » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:49 am

kc1di wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:39 am
Ok the atom editor in the software center is a flatpak program. Which means it doesn't really get installed in the system.
it is placed in either

Code: Select all

/var/lib/flatpak/app/
or in

Code: Select all

/home/.local/share/
you will have to point filezilla's setting in edit>settings>file editing to other and point it to the executable found in one of those locations.
good luck.
P.S. there is a .deb download available from the io site found herehttps://atom.io which may be easier to use that the flatpak.
Thanks alot man :D
I solved it downloading the .deb like you told me and use where is like i was told before. It was very easy. Thanks to all of you :)

User avatar
kc1di
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4742
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 pm
Location: Maine USA

Re: Set Atom as Default Editor for FileZilla

Post by kc1di » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Your Welcome and enjoy :)
Easy tips : https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

User avatar
lalincedeldeserto
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:03 am

Re: Set Atom as Default Editor for FileZilla

Post by lalincedeldeserto » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:13 am

nupwing wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:49 am
kc1di wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:39 am
Ok the atom editor in the software center is a flatpak program. Which means it doesn't really get installed in the system.
it is placed in either

Code: Select all

/var/lib/flatpak/app/
or in

Code: Select all

/home/.local/share/
you will have to point filezilla's setting in edit>settings>file editing to other and point it to the executable found in one of those locations.
good luck.
P.S. there is a .deb download available from the io site found herehttps://atom.io which may be easier to use that the flatpak.
Thanks alot man :D
I solved it downloading the .deb like you told me and use where is like i was told before. It was very easy. Thanks to all of you :)
You're welcome!!! :wink: :D
Perhaps you should set this post as solved. :lol:
To do this, just add <SOLVED> to the title. :) :) :)

Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”