Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kazran
Level 1
Level 1

Installing Amd Drivers on Mint 19

Post by kazran » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:43 pm

Hello, i have an'old laptop with amd radeon 7650m graphics, i'm trying to install the property drivers, but until now i didn't had success, i'm new o linux mint so can anyone give me some hint? thank you.

catweazel
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Installing Amd Drivers on Mint 19

Post by catweazel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:05 pm

kazran wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:43 pm
Hello, i have an'old laptop with amd radeon 7650m graphics, i'm trying to install the property drivers, but until now i didn't had success, i'm new o linux mint so can anyone give me some hint? thank you.
You need to be far more specific. What driver are you trying to install? Please post a link if you downloaded it. What does it mean when you say you didn't have success? Are you getting error messages, if so, what error message?

Please post the output of this terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results in-between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

karlchen
Level 18
Level 18

Post by karlchen » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:10 am

Hello, kazran.

In addition to what catweazel advised, let me ask a question / point to some relevant piece if information, please.
You mention the term "proprietary driver", which you want to install for your "amd radeon 7650m graphics card".

Is this proprietary driver by any chance known as "AMD Catalyst (fglrx)"?

Provided this is the case, then there is unpleasant news:
Starting with Mint 18 (Ubuntu 16.04) and the corresponding Xorg 1.18, this "AMD Catalyst (fglrx)" driver software can no longer be used.
AMD Catalyst (fglrx) drivers wrote:The AMD Catalyst (fglrx) drivers are not compatible with Xorg 1.18, which is the version used in Linux Mint 18.

These drivers are proprietary and so their code is not available. AMD indicated they no longer wanted to support them and urged their customers to use open-source drivers instead.

If you are using an ATI GPU in Linux Mint 18, the operating system will either select the Radeon or AMDGPU drivers for you, and these are installed by default.
Please, also do as requested by catweazel and post the output of the terminal command inxi -Fxz

Regards,
Karl
Old bugs good, new bugs bad! Updates are evil: might fix old bugs and introduce no new ones.

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:19 pm

Also note, the hardware section has a sub-section. I missed this alot when i first started.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

Return to “Hardware Support”