Update Manager not showing 4.17 kernel in list of kernels

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Update Manager not showing 4.17 kernel in list of kernels

Post by Nick Payne » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:45 pm

I just updated from Mint 18.3 to Mint 19 (reformat and clean install). I've installed the 2.17.5 kernel from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.17.5/ and booted it, but when I run Update Manager and select "Linux Kernels" from the View menu, only the 4.15 kernels appear. I also had the 2.17 kernel installed and running on 18.3, and the Update Manager in that version *did* show the 2.17 kernels installed from the same location when asked to show Linux Kernels. Here's a couple of screen grabs from Mint 19, showing the running kernel and the Kernels dialog box in Update Manager:

Code: Select all

nick@nick-mint:~$ uname -a
Linux nick-mint 4.17.5-041705-generic #201807081431 SMP Sun Jul 8 14:33:41 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
kernels.png
Last edited by Nick Payne on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
smurphos
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:18 am
Location: Britisher...

Re: Update Manager not showing 2.17 kernel in list of kernels

Post by smurphos » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:22 am

I'm guessing this is something to do with package format - the current 4.15 ubuntu supported kernels are delivered to mint as 5 packages - ubuntu have made a lot of changes here recently and mintupdate was adapted to deal with them. It looks like the mainline kernel builds are based on 4 packages.

Which packages did you install in total for 4.17.5? Please post back the output of dpkg -l | grep "linux\-[a-z]*\-"


You are not the first to notice this - https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/issues/356

User avatar
trytip
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1681
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: Update Manager not showing 2.17 kernel in list of kernels

Post by trytip » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:16 am

it will only show up if you use ukuu
Image

User avatar
smurphos
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:18 am
Location: Britisher...

Re: Update Manager not showing 2.17 kernel in list of kernels

Post by smurphos » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:20 am

trytip wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:16 am
it will only show up if you use ukuu
Manually installed mainline kernels used to show in update manager prior to the fixes applied to mintupdate to support the new 4.15 kernel packaging conventions. I'm pretty sure the underlying issue is that current mintupdate doesn't recognise the mainline package naming format linux-image-unsigned-$version$-generic

Mintupdate appears to be looking for the format linux-image-$version$-generic.

User avatar
trytip
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1681
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: Update Manager not showing 2.17 kernel in list of kernels

Post by trytip » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:33 am

it was easier for me to use ukuu then try to figure out which mainline files i needed. ukuu did it all with no issues. i made a big ooopsy while ukuu was installing 4.17.5 i wanted to copy that format , but as soon as i hit ctrl+c to copy :lol: the ukuu terminal command said Error: something dpkg. my brain was not working ctrl+c aborts any and most operations in terminal. it was able to remove and install again. good idea not to play with the keyboard while terminal is doing surgery
Image

User avatar
smurphos
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:18 am
Location: Britisher...

Re: Update Manager not showing 2.17 kernel in list of kernels

Post by smurphos » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:08 am

Does ukuu handle mainline kernel removal as well?

gm10
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Update Manager not showing 2.17 kernel in list of kernels

Post by gm10 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:30 am

smurphos wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:20 am
trytip wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:16 am
it will only show up if you use ukuu
Manually installed mainline kernels used to show in update manager prior to the fixes applied to mintupdate to support the new 4.15 kernel packaging conventions. I'm pretty sure the underlying issue is that current mintupdate doesn't recognise the mainline package naming format linux-image-unsigned-$version$-generic

Mintupdate appears to be looking for the format linux-image-$version$-generic.
Basically that, it doesn't handle unsigned Ubuntu kernels in the repos, either. In fact it is hardcoded to look at only package names starting with "linux-image-3" or "linux-image-4". It's a rather limited piece of code in that regard.

User avatar
smurphos
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:18 am
Location: Britisher...

Re: Update Manager not showing 2.17 kernel in list of kernels

Post by smurphos » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:34 am

gm10 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:30 am
Basically that, It doesn't handle unsigned Ubuntu kernels in the repos, either. In fact it is hardcoded to look at only packages starting with "linux-image-3" or "linux-image-4". It's a rather limited piece of code in that regard.
Thank-you gm10 - that explains why my attempt this morning to locally patch mint-update to fix this didn't work....time to try again.

gm10
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Update Manager not showing 2.17 kernel in list of kernels

Post by gm10 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:39 am

smurphos wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:34 am
gm10 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:30 am
Basically that, It doesn't handle unsigned Ubuntu kernels in the repos, either. In fact it is hardcoded to look at only packages starting with "linux-image-3" or "linux-image-4". It's a rather limited piece of code in that regard.
Thank-you gm10 - that explains why my attempt this morning to locally patch mint-update to fix this didn't work....time to try again.
It's a few files you'll need to patch, checkKernels.py, kernelwindow.py and Classes.py at first glance.

User avatar
smurphos
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:18 am
Location: Britisher...

Re: Update Manager not showing 2.17 kernel in list of kernels

Post by smurphos » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:09 am

Yep - limited success with my limited python knowledge - I can display all unsigned kernels (including the 4.15 ones) or none at all. It doesn't look pretty.... :roll: I might come back to this if I decide I need a challenge and the issue hasn't been properly patched already. it wasn't on my to do list.... :)

gm10
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Update Manager not showing 2.17 kernel in list of kernels

Post by gm10 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:57 am

smurphos wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:09 am
Yep - limited success with my limited python knowledge - I can display all unsigned kernels (including the 4.15 ones) or none at all. It doesn't look pretty.... :roll: I might come back to this if I decide I need a challenge and the issue hasn't been properly patched already. it wasn't on my to do list.... :)
That's simple to fix though, in checkKernels.py just skip all unsigned ones that are not flagged as installed, should cover all use cases.

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10462
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Update Manager not showing 2.17 kernel in list of kernels

Post by Pjotr » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:30 am

Why do you want to run an unsupported kernel in the first place? :shock:

Furthermore, UKUU kernels are only meant for testing and aren't fit for normal use:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... e-Utility-
(item 6.3.2, right column)

Finally: it's 4.17, not 2.17. You might want to fix your topic title and first message.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

User avatar
Moem
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6084
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Update Manager not showing 2.17 kernel in list of kernels

Post by Moem » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:58 am

Pjotr wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:30 am
Finally: it's 4.17, not 2.17. You might want to fix your topic title and first message.
That explains a lot... Silly me, for always assuming that people mean to write what they end up writing. :?
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”