Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
patwwh
Level 1
Level 1

[BUG] TimeShift: Problems after deleting snapshots via GUI

Post by patwwh » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:04 am

I am using Linux Mint 19 (Mate).
I have made 20 snapshots in Timeshift. To clean up the space for my other installations, I delete half snapshots via its GUI.
But after a while, when I re-open Timeshift, only 2 snapshots are shown and cannot be removed.
And when I browse into the snapshot folders, there are still over 10 snapshots folders, just not shown up in the GUI.
Then I have tried to remove all of them via caja (root), but error occur during the removing process and thus disallow me to do it.

I met this case in several times before when I was using Timeshift in other Linux distributions, but in that moment I haven't figured out the above source of problem, so I cannot effectively report to the developer. And since Timeshift is now tightly bonded with Linux Mint, this problem seems to become more unsolvable.

If anyone know how to solve it temporarily, please kindly share your method.

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [BUG] TimeShift: Problems after deleting snapshots via GUI

Post by slipstick » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:49 am

I don't know why the two snapshots cannot be removed, but as for the 10 snapshot folders not shown in the GUI, are they really full snapshots, or perhaps broken symbolic links? I have seen TimeShift leave broken links when I deleted a snapshot using its GUI. For example, I deleted a boot snapshot using the TS GUI, and TimeShift no longer shows it, but if I use the file manager to open the Timeshift partition as root and look into the folder of boot snapshots, there is a broken symlink - the actual snapshot was deleted from the main snapshot folder, but the symlink didn't get deleted. This doesn't seem to affect the operation of TimeShift and at some point it seems to clean up these broken links, but not immediately.

Note - I am running on LM18.3 and have a separate partition for TimeShift snapshots, mounted to /media/root.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

patwwh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by patwwh » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:37 pm

I think I have clearly described my case in last post. I am sure I have just deleted half of the snapshots via Timeshift's GUI, and remain half of them undeleted. Sorry but really do not create another story for this case. As I said, this is not the first time I met this kind of case.
Both 10 snapshot folders (hided) and 2 snapshot folders (shown) cannot be removed by caja (root). And the 10 folders consume and lock the space.

gm10
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gm10 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Code: Select all

sudo rm -rf </path/to/remove>
(careful not to write the wrong path)

patwwh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by patwwh » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:39 pm

gm10 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Code: Select all

sudo rm -rf </path/to/remove>
(careful not to write the wrong path)
I have tried that before, but useless.
I gusess that the Timeshift folders are actually a representation of SubVolumes, or protected by system specially, so even Root cannot do anything.

gm10
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gm10 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:55 pm

Oh btrfs. I haven't used timeshift with btrfs, not sure how it operates there, but assuming it's using btrfs' built in snapshot feature then that would indeed create a subvolume each time. You probably have to use btrfs subvolume delete for those.

Return to “Software & Applications”