Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
m-s-a
Level 1
Level 1

"Use as Hotspot" no longer working

Post by m-s-a » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:14 am

Hello,
I used to use my Linuxmint 18.3 Laptop as hotspot for my iphone and kindle devices.
All of a sudden, (starting a few weeks ago) this is no longer working.

The devices can still see the hotspot, the password prompt still succeeds, but then it takes a long time for the WiFi icon on the iphone to show up.
When it finally does, any kind of network connection that I make on the phone (e.g. browse to some website) times out.
Kindle has the same kind off issue - password accepted but then no connection can be established.

How do I start troubleshooting this?

Thank you in advance!
Mark

doug619
Level 1
Level 1

Re: "Use as Hotspot" no longer working

Post by doug619 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:54 pm

Were you able to solve this? I am having issues that may be similar.

I used to successfully use my Linux Mint 18.x laptop as a hotspot (Internet connection via EasyTether USB tethering). I recently built a new installation of LM 19 and can no longer connect to the hotspot that I enable with the "Use as Hotspot" button in Network Settings. The hotspot created has a different password than what it used to be and I have entered that new password when trying to connect.

I have noticed that the security type is WEP which is different from WPA/WPA2 previously, but don't see a way to change it which may be the cause of my inability to connect to the hotspot and I would very much like to do for security reasons.

Does anyone have any guidance or suggestions?

Doug

Return to “Wireless”