Any way to use this partition without reinstall? [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
ud6
Level 3
Level 3

Any way to use this partition without reinstall? [SOLVED]

Post by ud6 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:58 am

Basically is a works computer and additional intention was to have mint as secondary OS on dual boot, but after windows problems, I use linux only.. but I cannot delete the windows 10 system as they may need computer in future. Thus, now I need more space (allocated just 50 GB). I tried to reinstall, but seems to have placed it in the same location as before and created a little hangover of 4.61 GB unallocated ah ah ah, not sure how to clean that up as has windows partition smack in the middle of that ja ja ja :lol: .

Anyway, I have 4 partitions, and an extended partition (where linux file systems is). I have bootable USB so can access gparted from USB boot. I was lucky enough to be able to resize the windows partition (getting 171GB more space) without breaking anything, but how can I use this? It won't allow me to create as normal partition as already have 4, but can't resize my mint partition to fill that space nor can I select it as extended partition to make new home directory. Is only option a new install (mint OS is to the RIGHT of the 100GB space I created).

Any thoughts?

Thanks
ud6
Attachments
Untitled.png
Last edited by ud6 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Any way to use this partition without reinstall?

Post by gm10 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:07 am

First you need to resize the extended partition /dev/sda4, select it and choose to resize/move, then drag its left boundary all the way to the left. Then you can resize the Mint partition /dev/sda5 contained within the same way, or add additional partitions.

Note that you may have to reinstall GRUB after doing that, I'm not sure if GParted can handle relocation of its boot sector on its own.

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Pierre » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:32 am

the adjustment of both SDA4 & SDA5 will also have to be done from an Live Environment,
& not from the actual installed system . .

ie: use the program Gparted, that is on your Live Media:
- do allow some time, for each operation - as well.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

ud6
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ud6 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:40 pm

gm10 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:07 am
First you need to resize the extended partition /dev/sda4, select it and choose to resize/move, then drag its left boundary all the way to the left...
Yup, doesn't seem to allow for this. When I try to resize it has resize button, but no space to resize to.. I think cos is file system or cos on extended partition?

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:44 pm

ud6 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:58 am
Basically is a works computer
With all due respect to all posters, this should ring very loud alarm bells and cause huge red flags to fly. The OP should be talking to their IT department, not to anonymous volunteers on a website.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

ud6
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ud6 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:54 pm

catweazel wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:44 pm
ud6 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:58 am
Basically is a works computer
..alarm bells..
Ah ah ah. The IT dept is one guy, who doesn't know what Linux is. I guess I don't care too much about windows system as no data on there and they can reinstall some time in future. They guy tends to be ever zealous with admin control to point of impeding work (thus my reduction of windows partition in linux rather than windows). So fundamentally speaking to IT 'dept' is pointless and the windows set up was so problematic I gave up trying to work on it.. I just didn't want to wipe completely. Basically I'm pretty happy taking back control of my system, and I'm pretty independent in my work (not in a call centre or anything).

I would have thought you'd be applauding rebelliousness Catweazel eh eh eh

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gm10 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:55 pm

ud6 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:40 pm
gm10 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:07 am
First you need to resize the extended partition /dev/sda4, select it and choose to resize/move, then drag its left boundary all the way to the left...
Yup, doesn't seem to allow for this. When I try to resize it has resize button, but no space to resize to.. I think cos is file system or cos on extended partition?
Here are the steps, one of them went wrong:
- Boot from the Linux Mint USB
- click on /dev/sda4 (NOT /dev/sda5) in the list
- if it's mounted, right click > unmount
- click on the resize/move button or right click > resize/move
- drag left border of the partition to the left or manually enter 0 as free space before and then drag the right.

ud6
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ud6 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:24 am

Many thanks.. left my live USB at home but will try tomorrow :D

ud6
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ud6 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:52 am

gm10 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:55 pm
Here are the steps...
- Boot from the Linux Mint USB
- click on /dev/sda4 (NOT /dev/sda5) in the list
- if it's mounted, right click > unmount
- click on the resize/move button or right click > resize/move
- drag left border of the partition to the left or manually enter 0 as free space before and then drag the right.
Thankyou so much gm10! It worked perfectly. Yep; one I tried to look at the filesystem I couldn't change size, but I could change the size of the extended partition within which it sat (there was no mount/unmount option available but that didn't matter). I resized to left.

I decided NOT to resize the sda5 where file system was kept, as pretty sure the grub menu would not have loaded, but simply formatted the new available space as ext4. When I go into my desktop mint, it says I don't have permissions to view (probably cos I did the reformat from USB mint) but I can just reformat from desktop. I don't usually use seperate partition for home, but maybe now is good time to get try.

I'll mark as solved :D

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gm10 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:57 am

Happy to help.
ud6 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:52 am
When I go into my desktop mint, it says I don't have permissions to view (probably cos I did the reformat from USB mint) but I can just reformat from desktop. I don't usually use seperate partition for home, but maybe now is good time to get try.
Sounds more like a permissions issue with the folder you mounted it in. Let me know if the issue persists.

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:01 am

ud6 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:52 am
I'll mark as solved :D
That's always appreciated. :)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Any way to use this partition without reinstall? [SOLVED]

Post by gm10 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:22 am

leonette wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:48 pm
Thankyou so much gm10! It worked perfectly. Yep; one I tried to look at the filesystem I couldn't change size, but I could change the size of the extended partition within which it sat (there was no mount/unmount option available but that didn't matter). I resized to left.
You are welcome, and thanks for the feedback. Always nice to see when a solution helps more than one person! :)

Return to “Mounting Partitions”