guguma
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved, Kind of] Reboot Hang, Freeze and Hardware Issues on Dell XPS 15

Post by guguma » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi All,

I just managed to solve this issue:
Computer: Dell XPS 15,
Issue: Reboot, shutdown, suspend would cause system freeze, inxi -f and other hardware related executions cause system freeze, music players cause system freeze. Long story short, unusable system out of the box.
Problem Cause: Turned out to be a driver issue

Solution (short version):

1) Install the Nvidia Driver, hard restart.
2) Then switch to Intel, unless you want some hot warehouse vibe, since Nvidia makes your fans go haywire.
3) Long story short, nouveau is useless, nvidia drivers are subpar, and you cannot use your computer as it is meant to be used.

I have meddled with Linux distros before, I am returning to Linux after a while and decided to give Mint a shot. I immediately ran into issues as expected :).

I am running Mint 19 Tara with Cinnamon, alongside a Windows 10 on a Dell XPS, with a shared FAT32 partition on a single SSD.

I am having 2 major issues:

1) My laptop hangs on reboot, this possibly has something to do with the Nvidia driver (nouveau), if I try to use the nvidia driver recommended in the driver manager this takes care of the reboot issue but then my fans go blasting at full speed which I really do not want to happen. Not sure how to proceed.

2) I tried running rythmbox and it crashed, it possibly crashed cinnamon or other system apps as well, as I had to do a hard reset. I installed Clementine music player instead and it did the same thing. I am not sure if this is a music player daemon issue, or a desktop environment issue.

I need to do some work on this computer and I still have not managed to get a stable barebones system, some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by guguma on Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DAMIEN1307
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Reboot Hang, also MPD Problem

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:05 pm

when your booted into LM, could you please copy and paste the following into the "terminal" and post the results back here?...DAMIEN

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
ORDO AB CHAO

guguma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by guguma » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:42 pm

as soon as I ran

inxi -Fxz
system just hanged. Tried running it from the live USB, same thing happens.

guguma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by guguma » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:55 pm

I used kernel mode options

acpi_rev_override=1
then

acpi=off
Got some results, acpi=off worked better, but the situation is still a disaster. inxi runs with acpi=off, rhythmbox also ran surprisingly. However the reboot is still an issue. I saw some reboot messages where it said something along the lines of "rebooting the preinstalled LIVE system" or something like that. I have no idea at this point what is going on.

Restart also hangs after a fresh "Live" installation, does this message have anything to do with that?

momist
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [Solved, Kind of] Reboot Hang, Freeze and Hardware Issues on Dell XPS 15

Post by momist » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:58 am

Hi guguma
I too am using a Dell XPS15 256GB SSD Dual boot with Win10 and LM19. I'm trying to sort out why it hangs when it goes into 'suspend' in Mint. I have the Nvidia drivers loaded and running, the only other option offered is the Nouveau driver. How do you revert to the Intel driver?

EDIT: [SOLVED] for me simply by switching off the Nvidia driver. "NVIDIA X Server Settings" the little icon on the tool tray down near the clock. Open that and set it to 'Intel - Power Saving Mode'. Voila! Suspend works as it should, the laptop consumes less power, so the battery will last longer, and if you need the Nvidia board for some graphics or game thing, it's easily switched back on. It does require a log out/log in.
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.

Return to “Installation & Boot”