Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Siassei
Level 1
Level 1

Install Mint 19 on SSD + HDD with BTRFS for snapshot function

Post by Siassei » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:20 pm

Hello,

I'm new with Mint 19 (coming from ArchLinux) and I'm will installing Mint 19 on my Laptop with an SSD and HDD. The HDD should hold the /home partition and the SSD the rest of the system.
The goal is to use the mint 19 snapshot-function with the btrfs.

So, my first step would be to create two btrfs partition, one on the ssd and one at the hdd. Is that step correct or the first pit fal?
Is there something I must manuelle prepare? Or does the installer all the configuration shit for me?

Thanks, Thomas

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Install Mint 19 on SSD + HDD with BTRFS for snapshot function

Post by rene » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:05 pm

Unless things have recently changed in that respect a swapfile on btrfs is not a good idea / not yet supported. That is to say that although Mint 19 normally prefers or is at least fine with a swap file rather than swap partition you may still want to add a swap partition if you want to have swap at all (16G of RAM or more: you don't really need any for the kind of use a Mint desktop typically sees; 8G is a boundary case).

The installer is capable of creating partitions and of formatting them as btrfs; you need to pick the "Something else" option to create, format and designate the partitions; the procedure will be obvious. Also if you choose to pre-create the partitioning you will need the "Something else" option to place / on the the SSD and /home on the HDD.

But a bit of meta-comment: consider also placing /home on the SSD and just symlinking e.g. ~/Documents, ~/Music, ~/Videos and what have you to your HDD mounted on say /data. For some uses speed of your home directory is in fact quite important -- and you supposedly once bought the SSD for said speed advantage.

smurphos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by smurphos » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:26 am

rene wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:05 pm
But a bit of meta-comment: consider also placing /home on the SSD and just symlinking e.g. ~/Documents, ~/Music, ~/Videos and what have you to your HDD mounted on say /data. For some uses speed of your home directory is in fact quite important -- and you supposedly once bought the SSD for said speed advantage.
+1 for this advice.

Siassei
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Siassei » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:50 am

Thanks for your answers.

Swap-Partition
I'm not 100% sure, but .... :) Todays, is it not the normal case to has a swap file? Of course, a swap partition garanties space for the enire RAM (if it big enough, RAM Size + xxx GB for swapping), but why should I create a partition if a file can do the same job?
smurphos wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:26 am
rene wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:05 pm
But a bit of meta-comment: ....
+1 for this advice.
+1. Thanks for the advice. The resean for the hdd is only for my photos and videos. Before the post, I do not care there are .config, .cache, ..... folder in the home direcotry. Thanks!

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Post by rene » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:14 pm

Siassei wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:50 am
[ ... ] but why should I create a partition if a file can do the same job?
Due to you aiming to use btrfs and, as explicitly mentioned, btrfs not at this time supporting swap files: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php ... p_files.3F

Note that it is technically non-trivial; virtual memory support lives at the lowest level of the technology stack, inside of the CPU directly. Filesystem-drivers quite a bit above that, possibly leading to circular dependencies in the case of said virtual memory support needing to go through that on itself building level. Basically.

Return to “Installation & Boot”