[SOLVED] Pointer problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Jack054
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Pointer problem

Post by Jack054 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:50 pm

Running mint xfce18.3 on Acer laptop.

Problem started when trying to use USB Iogitech mouse instead of laptop pad (USB mouse has always worked before)

USB mouse would not work today (batteries are new), but laptop pad pointer worked. I tried the mouse setting panel to get the USB mouse to work, but then the laptop pad pointer stopped working as well (the pointer gets stuck in one location on the screen.) I ran in safe (recovery)mode and got a notice that the "Apply Kernel Variables" failed - I'm not sure what that indicates.

The thing is that the pointer moves as desired prior to my
signing-in and then it freezes up.
All help appreciated.
Jack054

Jack054
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Pointer problem

Post by Jack054 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Problem solved. The USB stick was not seating correctly in it's socket. Once I re-inserted the stick the pointer became operational - computer seems to be ok now.

My next challenge will be to choose and install a VPN.
Thanks to all.
Jack054

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Pointer problem

Post by Moem » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:49 am

Jack054 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:04 pm
Problem solved. The USB stick was not seating correctly in it's socket. Once I re-inserted the stick the pointer became operational - computer seems to be ok now.
Glad to hear it! I've marked your post as SOLVED for you, this time. :)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”