I found a better OS than Linux Mint 19.x

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
User avatar
vonMos
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:19 am

Re: I found a better OS than Linux Mint 19.x

Post by vonMos » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:10 am

majpooper wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:14 pm
I have been running LMDE3 in a VM just to play and did put it on an old Lenovo that I run as a PiHole server - really like it - very snappy and boots fast. I may switch to it at some point. I did run into some install issues when I tried to install it on a PC - it just would not boot after the install for some reason so ended up putting LM19 on that PC . . . . oh well.
You have to configure the GRUB on the main sda ... easy stuff

User avatar
majpooper
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 651
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 1:56 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: I found a better OS than Linux Mint 19.x

Post by majpooper » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:49 pm

too easy - somehow I picked the the right partition on the laptop but not on the PC - I think I will give it another shot. THX much.

sgtor
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 9:39 pm

Re: I found a better OS than Linux Mint 19.x

Post by sgtor » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:42 pm

ud6 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:00 am
What's the software you need in Windows you can't use in Linux?
I know you weren't asking me but the one piece of software I need windows for is tax software. I run a windows vm and start it up every once in a while to let it update and that's when I truly realize what a headache it is to use windows. I don't want to know how bad it would be if I only booted it up once a year to do taxes. lol

I have tried to install it with wine and it doesn't really work.

User avatar
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1248
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:28 pm

Re: I found a better OS than Linux Mint 19.x

Post by Arch_Enemy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:15 am

sgtor wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:42 pm
ud6 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:00 am
What's the software you need in Windows you can't use in Linux?
I know you weren't asking me but the one piece of software I need windows for is tax software. I run a windows vm and start it up every once in a while to let it update and that's when I truly realize what a headache it is to use windows. I don't want to know how bad it would be if I only booted it up once a year to do taxes. lol

I have tried to install it with wine and it doesn't really work.
I'm quite the opposite. I run Linux to get a couple of freebies that are megabucks in the Windows world. But they aren't keeping up on the free stuff as much as the paid for versions, and getting them to run can be tricky. I blew up a few Arch installations because of the libraries I had to have installed, and then Arch "rolls" and doesn't know how to deal with the installed libraries. It is much easier in Mint...easier to run. It's a breeze to install in Arch because the maintainer keeps up on it...sometimes. Another one I have to massage the build file to make it work.

In Mint I can just install the libraries. Or, could. Mint 19 doesn't like them so much. LMDE choked quite a bit at first, but I was able to get it running. Another one...no way. And the other one I rely on...sometimes does, sometimes doesn't. Even the Debian archives have given up on it. All of them work just fine on 17.x...
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

User avatar
ud6
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 3:41 am
Location: Malawi

Re: I found a better OS than Linux Mint 19.x

Post by ud6 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:02 am

Arch_Enemy wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:15 am
sgtor wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:42 pm
I know you weren't asking me but the one piece of software I need windows for is tax software. I run a windows vm and start it up every once in a while to let it update and that's when I truly realize what a headache it is to use windows...
I'm quite the opposite. I run Linux to get a couple of freebies that are megabucks in the Windows world...
Yeh, I guess there's an evolution of software on both systems that seems to follow different paths:
Linux:
No software available for task you want to do>software without gui>useable software with gui but not very good>acceptable software almost as good as windows>software as good as or better than windows>various pieces of good software>continuing improvement

Windows:
Software the gui which is a bit buggy>great software>increasingly expensive software with new features that are just there to sell the latest version

For video editing software, Linux is great for me as it is towards the later stages of evolution (but in the past I had to use windows). For tax software, I guess it's still in early stages so windows only option. Maybe we can pray to the linux god that someone will start development :lol:

User avatar
BG405
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1537
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:09 pm
Location: England

Re: I found a better OS than Linux Mint 19.x

Post by BG405 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:00 pm

This thread has renewed my interest in LMDE & I'm tempted to give the new one a spin. 8)
Arch_Enemy wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:15 am
I run Linux to get a couple of freebies that are megabucks in the Windows world.
I'd be interested to know what those are! Is GIMP one of them? :)
ud6 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:02 am
Yeh, I guess there's an evolution of software on both systems that seems to follow different paths ...
I agree with your summary & as for video editing, I used to use Nero with Windows and its later editions became an obstacle course with all its licencing nonsense. A real pleasure to discover the excellent Kdenlive .. & I can run that on any of my machines, not just one per licence, as with Nero etc.. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Acer D255E 2GB - Manjaro KDE, LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB305 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

User avatar
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1248
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:28 pm

Re: I found a better OS than Linux Mint 19.x

Post by Arch_Enemy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:52 am

BG405 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:00 pm
This thread has renewed my interest in LMDE & I'm tempted to give the new one a spin. 8)
Arch_Enemy wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:15 am
I run Linux to get a couple of freebies that are megabucks in the Windows world.
I'd be interested to know what those are! Is GIMP one of them? :)
ud6 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:02 am
Yeh, I guess there's an evolution of software on both systems that seems to follow different paths ...
I agree with your summary & as for video editing, I used to use Nero with Windows and its later editions became an obstacle course with all its licencing nonsense. A real pleasure to discover the excellent Kdenlive .. & I can run that on any of my machines, not just one per licence, as with Nero etc.. :mrgreen:
One is an old version of Photoshop I have archived and the other is a newsreader. Yup, still use the Newsgroups. You can get free ones for Windows but they don't work very well.

As far as Nero, I never cared for it very much at all anyway. Another reason to run Linux. I have LiVES and Avidemux, both compiled by hand to get the most bang for the 'buck'. Besides, the LiVES version on 17 is 2.2.0 and it crashes whenever it opens a video. They still haven't replaced it.

I actually stopped using the Photoshop because I was able to get AfterShot Pro from Corel for $29.95, and I have it running on both Linux and Windows...on the same license. Can't beat a deal like that!

But after years of running Linux for the freebies you could get, I'm stuck. And Windows 10 sure isn't worth $199!
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”