Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
abigail9191
Level 1
Level 1

Install Issue Linux Mint 19

Post by abigail9191 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Hi,

I started with Linux Mint 17.1, and have used multiple versions of Linux over the years.

Recently, I upgraded my computer rig, to a new one.

when I try to use my usb, for Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon Edition, it loads Linux Mint Install Grub,

I click install, and it starts installing, then a white set of lines appear flashing once, then all install efforts permenantly stop.

I have a GIGABYTE B360M DS3H Motherboard, and no matter what method of install, I try to use: CD's, USB.

The same result always occurs.

Its heavily disheartening, my arddrive for install is brand new, I have no linux drives currently.

I really need help with this, I have tried everything I can, and nothing is working, despite over over 2 dozen attempts.

JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Install Issue Linux Mint 19

Post by JerryF » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:51 pm

Can you post the following commands from a live USB/DVD?

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
and

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
For easier reading, place the results between [code][/code] tags
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 pm

abigail9191 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:05 pm
Hi,

I started with Linux Mint 17.1, and have used multiple versions of Linux over the years.

when I try to use my usb, for Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon Edition, it loads Linux Mint Install Grub,

I click install, and it starts installing, then a white set of lines appear flashing once, then all install efforts permenantly stop.

I have a GIGABYTE B360M DS3H Motherboard, and no matter what method of install, I try to use: CD's, USB.

The same result always occurs.

Its heavily disheartening, my arddrive for install is brand new, I have no linux drives currently.

I really need help with this, I have tried everything I can, and nothing is working, despite over over 2 dozen attempts.

If you poke around, I think you'll find others with Gigabyte MoBos having install issues as well. I remember one guy for sure having issues. The other one may have been an ASUS, I can't recall right now.

Don't know if there was a resolution or not. Sad thing, because I really like GB MoBos, but if they're going to have issues with Mint I'll stick to Intel...

As an aside, a friend of mine has a recording studio and wanted to upgrade from an old Dell he had. He had a card in it from a company called MOTU (Mark of the Unicorn) that interfaces with some rack mount devices from the mixing board.

Had I done my research FIRST, I would have found the card he has does not play well with Gigabyte MoBos. I had to take the card home with me and massage the installation routine for THREE DAYS on my Gigabyte system I use for testing before I finally got it working (Think of Gary Sinese in "Apollo 13"...) All was right with the world until he upgraded some other audio software. After a few hours (heh...a 'few') we just threw in the towel and he bought a new card from MOTU. Shame...My test system is now 10 years old and does what I use it for flawlessly, but after hearing some horror stories with compatibility issues I may never buy another one.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

lsemmens
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lsemmens » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:40 pm

Bugga! My server has a Gigabyte Mobo in it and works flawlessly, (I'd better not tell it! :wink:)
Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Linux Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:28 am

abigail9191 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:05 pm
New rig = UEFI technology.

Modern UEFI computers default to UEFI/GPT mode but can be set to Legacy BIOS/MBR-msdos mode in BIOS Setup(= the setting for Compatibility Support Module - CSM or Legacy BIOS). Your internal hard-drive should also be in the appropriate mode for the install mode, eg UEFI mode install will not work on MBR-msdos hard-drives/disks.

If installing in UEFI/GPT mode, disable Secure Boot and Fast Boot, and boot the Live LM 19 media in UEFI mode(from the Boot menu) via BIOS Setup. If installing in Legacy BIOS/MBR-msdos mode, enable CSM/Legacy BIOS and boot the Live LM media in Legacy BIOS mode.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloader ... ting-media (Creating EFI-Bootable USB Drives)
https://etcher.io/

abigail9191
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abigail9191 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:52 pm

Hello, I was able to install Linux Mint 19, in compatibility mode only, with Legacy Bios options.

However, on loading the installed Linux Mint 19 computer, the same issue again has occurred, I tried legacy bios options, UEFI Boot options, and various combinations, but it is not working.

When I was installing Linux mint 19, the only option that would work was compatibility mode, the main mode would not work.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:04 am

lsemmens wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:40 pm
Bugga! My server has a Gigabyte Mobo in it and works flawlessly, (I'd better not tell it! :wink:)
You do know you just blew it, right? You shouldn't have told it it was running Linux!
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

lsemmens
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lsemmens » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:58 am

Arch_Enemy wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:04 am
lsemmens wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:40 pm
You do know you just blew it, right? You shouldn't have told it it was running Linux!
It's too scared to give me any trouble, it knows how close it came to becoming a pensioner in the last couple of weeks, I was hoping to pick up an XEON server at auction, but the cheapest one, whilst still good value, went for several hundred more than I was prepared to pay. (One of them had 80TB of storage in it! - that went for $1100 or thereabouts.)
Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Linux Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:14 am

abigail9191 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:52 pm
Hello, I was able to install Linux Mint 19, in compatibility mode only, with Legacy Bios options.

However, on loading the installed Linux Mint 19 computer, the same issue again has occurred, I tried legacy bios options, UEFI Boot options, and various combinations, but it is not working.

When I was installing Linux mint 19, the only option that would work was compatibility mode, the main mode would not work.
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads ... nt.403348/ says that there should be no problem installing LM 19 on your new rig. Try installing Ubuntu 18.04 or Win 10. If still unsuccessful, likely your new rig was not connected or setup properly or your BIOS settings was not correctly set.

Please tell us your computer specs by running inxi -Fxz and sudo parted -l.

P S - 8th-gen Intel/AMD processors require Linux kernel 4.17 or higher for full support. LM 19 = only kernel 4.15 as the default.

tinca
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tinca » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:31 am

I have a Gigabyte motherboard and it has run non stop for some years now. It is a GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK. Rock solid

Best regards Keith
EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 FTW

abigail9191
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abigail9191 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:07 pm

I done further testing, and used a windows 10 cd, to ensure that, it was not a bad USB Install method, that I did, I have installed Linux Mint 17-18, with no issues on other motherboards, including installing, and using Manjaro on another motherboard. I have been using and installing Linux Mint, since August 2015, with no issues.

I used the custom windows 10 cd, I previously burned, and it had no issues installing, with this motherboard, however, once I turned the Windows 10 CD, to a Linux CD, the exact same problem occurred again, refusing to allow me to install, or use Linux Mint 19, on this motherboard.

I have given up with this motherboard, and I am, asking Amazon for a refund, citing, under UK Law, The Consumer Rights Act 2015, it says nowhere, in the sales description for this motherboard, that it is bad for Linux, or not really useable for Linux. This means it violates the laws of my territory.

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:06 pm

abigail9191 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:07 pm
I used the custom windows 10 cd, I previously burned, and it had no issues installing, with this motherboard, however, once I turned the Windows 10 CD, to a Linux CD, the exact same problem occurred again, refusing to allow me to install, or use Linux Mint 19, on this motherboard.
Proprietary Nvidia/AMD graphics cards often present booting and install problems in Linux. ...
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257 (Solve boot problems with AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards)
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tara_cinnamon.php

Return to “Installation & Boot”