[Solved] Error on restart, suspend, and new install.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
syndi
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Error on restart, suspend, and new install.

Post by syndi » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:50 pm

I have an HP laptop that has Mint 18.2 on it. I had 18.3 on it at first, but had problems. I get a jittery error whenever I restart my laptop and occasionally when I just start up from shut down. Suspend usually just ends with a dark screen, but the computer stays on and will not wake up when prompted. I thought it might be the distro version, so I over-wrote it with 18.2, same issue. I tried to put 19 on it, and it wont install at all, just pure error code appears. I thought it might be an outdated bios, but it looks like the bios is from 2015, pretty recent. My hope is that I just have some weird setting in the bios that is wrong. Secure boot is disabled, but maybe there's something else. I've included relevant pics and a video of the restart. Any tips of what might be wrong would be appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/ikpcLJW

https://gfycat.com/BowedSpitefulLacewing
Last edited by syndi on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

thx-1138
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Error on restart, suspend, and new install.

Post by thx-1138 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:59 am

...try:
gksudo xed /etc/default/grub
Modify the line there as:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="pci=noaer quiet splash"
Save. Then sudo update-grub & reboot for the changes to take effect. See if that fixes it.
If it doesn't, repeat the procedure above, but use pci=nomsi instead.

...two extra notes:
1) your / is rather full, 91%...try cleaning it up a bit.
2) your bios is several revisions older.

syndi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Error on restart, suspend, and new install.

Post by syndi » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:01 am

thx-1138 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:59 am
...try:
gksudo xed /etc/default/grub
Modify the line there as:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="pci=noaer quiet splash"
Save. Then sudo update-grub & reboot for the changes to take effect. See if that fixes it.
If it doesn't, repeat the procedure above, but use pci=nomsi instead.

...two extra notes:
1) your / is rather full, 91%...try cleaning it up a bit.
2) your bios is several revisions older.
Yes! this seems to have worked. The first edit :GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="pci=noaer quiet splash" did it I think.
Also yeah I found a way to empty a couple of my var/log files like kern.log.1 which had 70 gigs in it. So far restart and suspend have work perfectly after the edit. Very excited about this! Thanks, will edit as solved.

note: I experimented with installing 19 over the 18.2 and got the error again, but the other basic functions still work fine. Used 2 different installation medias. So... is this still an issue with grub? The computer is now usable, but I wonder if it will ever be upgradable.

Return to “Installation & Boot”