Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
chrisdasp
Level 1
Level 1

SSH - Computer server hibernate

Post by chrisdasp » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi everybody ! :)

I just learnt how to use SSH and well, turns out my main computer is now a "server". I'd like to use it as a hard drive for personal datas, since my new computer has few hard memory.
But the thing is that I would like to let him accessible through SSH while I put him to sleep, or hibernate (pm-suspend), in order to avoid use of electricity too much.

Is it something doable? Letting the Internet connection open while it sleeps? Then I can access to it fro, anywhere with my other laptop.

I heard about Mosh, configured it, but it seems is more about keeping the connection with the computer we use after a sleep period, and not to put the computer server in sleep mode and keep the connection.

Thank you very much in advance for your answers,
Chris

redlined
Level 3
Level 3

Re: SSH - Computer server hibernate

Post by redlined » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:31 pm

hi chrisdasp!

I'm new to Linux and don't know any workarounds or other options, however as I understand it sleep, suspend and hibernate mode the computer will be non-responsive, basically session is saved for a quick(er than start/logon) resumes and computer goes into power saving mode.

Couple options I can think of for saving or minimizing power use of your SSH server is to have it remotely managed (via SSH client from remote PC) and remove keyboard, mouse and monitor which won't be needed. As well running a barebones distro (terminal/no DE) or perhaps a "lighter" Mint DE than Cinnamon, like XFCE would help.

For even more power savings on the SSH server you might look into WakeOnLAN (aka magic packet) which is designed to wake up a remote computer from shut down state (or sleep/hibernate?) if the server ethernet card and mobo support it. This search result should help you get that working: https://www.startpage.com/do/search?cmd ... linux+mint

I do not know if there will be other issues (like password/credntials requirements to address) but this should help get you started!

edit: add LM WOL tutorial link https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1062
Moem kōan 42: Should tool manufacturers be required to fix their products so that you cannot use their saws to cut the tree branch that you're sitting on?

(The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is... 42!!;)

chrisdasp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chrisdasp » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:03 am

redlined wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:31 pm
hi chrisdasp!
[...]
edit: add LM WOL tutorial link https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1062
Hi redlined!

Thanks for your answer, I gotta have to check this WoL process to see if it does work with my situation. Since it is a laptop (Asus ROG pretty fat) it isn't gonna be possible to take off keyboard or screen.

If anyone has other tips to share I'll appreciate, and when the WoL is gonna be tested on my machine I'll let a note here for the people looking forward to do the same!

Regards,
Chris

redlined
Level 3
Level 3

Post by redlined » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:49 pm

hi Chris!

Thank you for checking back in and mention of plan to return and update if this works or you find another option. Perhaps others from forum, more experienced and even running SSH server on their networks, will add their thoughts as well and give advice on better options. I'm keeping an eye on this thread since this is similar to a desire I have for my home network 8)
Moem kōan 42: Should tool manufacturers be required to fix their products so that you cannot use their saws to cut the tree branch that you're sitting on?

(The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is... 42!!;)

Return to “Other networking topics”