Questions for Mint users who have investigated Manjaro

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Petermint
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Questions for Mint users who have investigated Manjaro

Post by Petermint » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:31 pm

"Mint and desktop components are updated continuously"
I did not looked at the underlying Debian component. The mint and desktop components created enough problems when first released.

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Post by smurphos » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:21 am

mediclaser wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:33 pm
I thought LMDE is not a rolling distro. :?:
Petermint wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:31 pm
"Mint and desktop components are updated continuously"
I did not looked at the underlying Debian component. The mint and desktop components created enough problems when first released.
Indeed Manjaro (Arch based) and LMDE (Debian) based are worlds apart in this respect.

Arch is pure rolling - all upstream releases are sent out to users as soon as the Arch maintainers can package them. Manjaro adds a couple of weeks delay and a bit more stability as packages go through their unstable and testing branches on their way to stable, but ultimately you can expect a couple of hundred separate package updates every couple of weeks on Manjaro.

Debian is stable - updates are few and far between. Mint team don't push new DE components as soon as available to LMDE. Cinnamon 4.0 has been tagged for nearly a month now but hasn't been pushed yet to LMDE. It's going through fairly rapid development ironing out the initial bugs that any major version jump brings and taking on feedback from Arch users. LMDE won't get 4.0.0 - it will be a 4.0.x as will 19.1 beta once released.

TinaNamdev
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TinaNamdev » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:59 am

I think that while Manjaro is at least faster
Capitalvraddhi

Return to “Non-technical Questions”