Strange window focus issue

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Huecuva
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Strange window focus issue

Post by Huecuva »

Ah, I see. There's a specific place to look for kernels in the update manager. I was unaware of that option. If that's the case, then my Linux install on my gaming rig is probably fine. I manually updated the kernel through the terminal, but the update worked and it is running 4.18. Still having the window focus issue though. Do you think fresh installing 19.1 would fix it? I don't know how much of a difference that would make over upgrading from 19. I guess it's worth a try anyway.

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

Probably a good idea to try a fresh install.
smurphos wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:02 am
No bright ideas, I suspect some issue with your hardware and kernel version or the graphics card / mesa version but anything further than that would be pure guesswork.
Other than that I guess it's time to start on the pure guesswork. Try updating mesa and/or xorg.

There are a few PPA choices - only use one of the following. Do take the time to read through the blurb on the launchpad pages so you know what you are adding to your repos.

PPA's offering 'stable' builds

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+a ... tu/updates
https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dia ... untu/pkppa

PPAs offering cutting edge builds

https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dia ... untu/mesa/
https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/u ... cs-drivers
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

hotkey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hotkey »

I am experiencing the same issue on my Mint. The problem was there from the very first start (install of 18.x) and is still there on 19.1. So far I have no idea where it comes from. There are no traces in the logs about anything suspicious.
(Using Mint/Cinnamon 19.1 on an Intel i7 [1st gen] and nVidia G-Force 950 using the "nvidia-driver-430" driver)

I am now living with it and not expecting it to ever get fixed. :| After boot I press [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[F1] to switch to a text console, then [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[F7] to switch back to GUI. I usually need to do this twice, then I am able to interact with the GUI. This is my life now.

hotkey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hotkey »

I have now found out that the problem only occurs (on my machine) when automatic login is activated.
Without automatic log-in everything is fine: After entering the password, the desktop is revealed without any focus issues.

So it might have something to do with the system "not being 100% booted" when the desktop is revealed which causes the issue. Waiting at the login prompt until the system is fully booted before showing the desktop seems to solve the problem.

Dehumanizer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dehumanizer »

I have the same problem for at least a year now... I think it has started when I upgraded from 18 to 19. As you say, the issue gets fixed when switching to console and back and it gets also fixed (at least for me) when I minimize all windows (press the show desktop button or manually minimize all windows from the taskbar). I am running Mint 19.2 with Mate and kernel 5.3.0-19. It's really annoying at times.
However I don't have automatic login activated and I still have the problem...

ten0s
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ten0s »

The same problem on Mint 19.2 xfce and kernel 4.15.0-54. Locking the screen (Ctrl-Alt-L) or switching to console and back (Ctrl-Alt-F1/Ctrl-Alt-F7) temporary works :(

Dehumanizer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dehumanizer »

Still no solution for this issue? It's really annoying. I have recently reinstalled my desktop to the latest mint (19.3) from scratch and the issue keeps appearing there too, so it's not something broken due to upgrade from older version or something like that. It happens on a clean install as well.

MikeWhiskey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MikeWhiskey »

We have this issue too on my son's machine - an Intel NUC i5, 8GiB memory. It started as a fresh install of Mint Cinnamon 19 and is now 19.3

Usually I am at work when it goes wrong, so I ssh to the machine and do

Code: Select all

sudo service lightdm restart
Like other posts, we have lived with this on and off for a long while, except I'm not sure what triggers it.

Thanks for the other suggestions of how to work around it, I shall let him know those as they are less disruptive than mine! :roll: I'll follow this thread for updates

anox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by anox »

Huecuva wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:37 am
Here are my specs:

Asrock B450 Pro mobo
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Sapphire Radeon RX580 Nitro+
16GB RAM
My mouse is a Madcatz Cyborg R.A.T. 7
Hello!

So I had the same Issue wenn I used my linux mint laptop at home in my docking station. Without the docking station the issue did not arise so I just worked without the docking station being connected and all was fine.
Now I have homeoffice with no end in sight so I thought I would give the problem another go. I first disconnected all Hardware from the Docking Station and reconnected everything and observed when the Problem started again.

Well.... it was the Mouse. Wenn I have my mouse connected I can not focus any buttons or windows. And what kind of mouse do I have? Madcatz R.A.T. 3. You have a RAT 7 so this might very well be the same bug.

Try disconnecting your mouse or use a different one. Hope this fixes your Problem.

MrEen
Level 19
Level 19

Post by MrEen »

Nice troubleshooting anox! And welcome to the forum! :D

Huecuva
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Huecuva »

anox wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:52 am
Huecuva wrote:
Here are my specs:

Asrock B450 Pro mobo
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
16GB RAM
Hello!

So I had the same Issue wenn I used my linux mint laptop at home in my docking station. Without the docking station the issue did not arise so I just worked without the docking station being connected and all was fine.
Now I have homeoffice with no end in sight so I thought I would give the problem another go. I first disconnected all Hardware from the Docking Station and reconnected everything and observed when the Problem started again.

Well.... it was the Mouse. Wenn I have my mouse connected I can not focus any buttons or windows. And what kind of mouse do I have? Madcatz R.A.T. 3. You have a RAT 7 so this might very well be the same bug.

Try disconnecting your mouse or use a different one. Hope this fixes your Problem.
That is interesting. I never considered it could be the mouse itself that causes the problem. I will try with a cheapo microsoft USB mouse and see if that causes the issue. If you had the same problem with the same mouse though, I think that's probably it. Thanks for getting that sorted out! It's been annoying me for months.

MikeWhiskey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MikeWhiskey »

Huecuva wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:53 pm
anox wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:52 am
Huecuva wrote:
Here are my specs:

Asrock B450 Pro mobo
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
16GB RAM
Hello!

That is interesting. I never considered it could be the mouse itself that causes the problem. I will try with a cheapo microsoft USB mouse and see if that causes the issue. If you had the same problem with the same mouse though, I think that's probably it. Thanks for getting that sorted out! It's been annoying me for months.
Our mouse & keyboard is a Logitech one. I tried pulling the usb dongle and plugging it again but that did not fix the focus issue, the mouse events were going to the bottom window. Neither did switching to tty and back or screen lock and unlock :( :( I had to restart lightdm.

I tried looking at dmesg , syslog and the last Xorg log but there was nothing obvious.

vcozma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vcozma »

Hi, I am having the same issue ( windows not raised when in focus )

My setup is hp Elitebook x360 (touch-laptop convertible) + external monitor

My observation is that is started on Mint 19 . I am using Mate .

If I enable , from Window Preferences -> Behaviour -> "select windows when mouse moves over them" , it works normally ( focus and raise the window when mouse hover )

But I don't like that much .

Otherwise, ALT-TAB is required periodically .

I noticed that Java windows are especially affected ( I used IntelliJ and/or AndroidStudio ) , for some reason AndroidStudio prefers to sit in background , it's a struggle to get it in foreground .
Maybe this Java -strangeness is older, the other machine I used had some issues as well ( 18.x ) , but they were "bearable" . Now it's becoming really annoying .

As a workaround i use multiple desktops , keep the windows in one desktop at a minimum , but I need a real solution .
Maybe my comments will help .

And I don't think it's a kernel or graphic driver issue , looks like a marco or some shared lib issue .

Note to mention that I also have problems with xed AND gedit ( a library crashed when editing small files ) - that's (very) new . They might even be related .

Thanks !

vcozma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vcozma »

New findings :

In "Window preferences", I unchecked "Enable software composition window manager"

Now it looks a little different , however seems the problem has gone away ( working as expected for 2-3 hours ) .

Huecuva
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Huecuva »

I still haven't gotten around to testing this with a different mouse other than my R.A.T. 7.

AlbertDude
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AlbertDude »

I had a similar issue with 19.3 Cinnamon.
For me though, switching to console and back didn't provide a temporary fix.
What's fixed it for me is to disable effects (under Preferences/Effects).

Hope this is useful for someone.

cheers,
albert

Return to “Cinnamon”