[SOLVED] - Verifying ISO?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
redlined
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Verifying ISO?

Post by redlined » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:02 pm

gm10 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:38 pm
LizC wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:50 pm
Tried it, the output said successful but the numbers didn't match
My apologies, I must have been asleep typing that, I put the wrong filename, replace ISO_FILENAME with the name of the downloaded iso you want to check:

Code: Select all

certutil -hashfile ISO_FILENAME SHA256
redlined wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:35 pm
gm10, I too had issue with that command, getting a simple help response as seen below :?
Sure you do, you're trying to run a command I gave for Windows on Linux. :D
:shock: well no wonder I couldn't get it to work! apt remove libnss3-tools :oops: (until I need to reinstall it for all those cool looking certificate management cmdline functions!:D))
Moem kōan 42: Should tool manufacturers be required to fix their products so that you cannot use their saws to cut the tree branch that you're sitting on?

(The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is... 42!!;)

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slipstick » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:31 pm

I have found the easiest way is to use a script file to verify and authenticate - that way I don't have to remember all the steps after 6 months to a year since I did it the last time. Here's a post where I describe how I do it (this is for LM19 CInnamon - you'll need to update for later versions or different desktops). This is, of course, running under Linux, not Windows. I have the script file stored in my ~/bin directory, so I just need to modify the two "wget" lines in the script for the version I want to verify, download the .iso to be verified, and type in the command line to start it. Easy-peasy.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=275956&p=1514627&h ... e#p1514627
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

redlined
Level 4
Level 4

Post by redlined » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:07 pm

slipstick wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:31 pm
I have found the easiest way is to use a script file to verify and authenticate - that way I don't have to remember all the steps after 6 months to a year since I did it the last time. Here's a post where I describe how I do it (this is for LM19 CInnamon - you'll need to update for later versions or different desktops). This is, of course, running under Linux, not Windows. I have the script file stored in my ~/bin directory, so I just need to modify the two "wget" lines in the script for the version I want to verify, download the .iso to be verified, and type in the command line to start it. Easy-peasy.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=275956&p=1514627&h ... e#p1514627
echo "Be patient, $USER. I am not that good at math"
sometimes terminal telling us what is going is very helpful, as I watched nothing happen (for what seemed an instant shy of eternity!) earlier when using verify instructions from LM guide :lol:
Moem kōan 42: Should tool manufacturers be required to fix their products so that you cannot use their saws to cut the tree branch that you're sitting on?

(The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is... 42!!;)

LizC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LizC » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:50 pm

gm10 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:38 pm
LizC wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:50 pm
Tried it, the output said successful but the numbers didn't match
My apologies, I must have been asleep typing that, I put the wrong filename, replace ISO_FILENAME with the name of the downloaded iso you want to check:

Code: Select all

certutil -hashfile ISO_FILENAME SHA256
Thank you, it worked! At first I thought it didn't because I was expecting the result to be immediate, but while I was checking to see if I made a spelling error, after a minute or so I went back to the command console, and there it was, a match!

Thanks very much for posting even though I already marked the thread as solved, I'm sure it will be of help to other Windows users, and I learned a little about using command prompt.

gm10
Level 13
Level 13

Post by gm10 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:45 am

LizC wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:50 pm
Thank you, it worked! At first I thought it didn't because I was expecting the result to be immediate, but while I was checking to see if I made a spelling error, after a minute or so I went back to the command console, and there it was, a match!

Thanks very much for posting even though I already marked the thread as solved, I'm sure it will be of help to other Windows users, and I learned a little about using command prompt.
Yep, it takes a little while to process 2 GB of data. ;)

And you're welcome. I always find it weird that the instructions on the website include nothing for Windows users even though there sure must be a lot of them trying Linux Mint out. Note that you only verified that the file has the correct checksum, not that it was signed correctly by the Linux Mint team. That's a bit more difficult on Windows since you'd first have to install gpg. Easiest to just skip that step unless you want to be extra sure, but it'll be alright.

Note that you did not yet mark the thread as solved. To do so, edit the first post of the thread and add SOLVED to the subject line.

Return to “Newbie Questions”