Destop icons auto-arrange after restart

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
benchrest
Level 2
Level 2

Destop icons auto-arrange after restart

Post by benchrest » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:06 pm

Yesterday I installed LAMP on my Cinnamon 19 dual monitor system. I had it installed on the previous release but now that it appeared stable after a couple of weeks I thought I could get my server working. After a reboot two problems occur,
1. icons appear auto-arranged on the left side of the primary monitor.
2. dragging an icon from its new location to the other monitor it doesn't move but it copies. There ends up two copies of the icon. One on each monitor. Dragging the icon to another spot on the primary monitor it does a normal move.
A reboot all goes back to the auto-arranged. This is a big deal for me as I have quit a few arranged by subject.
Desktop settings has "Show desktop icons on all monitors"
desktop has "auto-arrange" unchecked
I had gedit installed for a bit but it is uninstalled with no effect. Also I ran Nemo with sudo during the install. From post I have read it appears Nemo might be involved. I installed Launchy the day before.
Any ideas?
LM Cinnamon 19, ASUS M5A97 R2.0 MB, FX-4100, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256gb, dual 24" monitors, MSI GEFORCE GTX 1050ti Areo ITX. Big user of Gramps, LibreOffice, Unison. Entire system on SSD, also WD black 500gb for backup.

kingsthane
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Destop icons auto-arrange after restart

Post by kingsthane » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:44 pm

Have you tried, rt click anywhere on desktop, left click on "Desktop", click to toggle "Auto Arrange" to off (if it is set to on)?

benchrest
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Destop icons auto-arrange after restart

Post by benchrest » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:50 pm

Auto-arrange is off.
I have a suspicion that I caused the problem. During the process of installing the LAMP products I was having problems with synapse which I have used for ever. It would not work correctly with 19. So I uninstalled it and installed Launchy. Launchy does seem to work. But anyhow after removing Synapse I searched for synapse in system files and found quite a few modules still there. One of my pet peeves is that programs that are removed do not really completely remove with lots of trash left. So I foolishly removed 50 or so modules to clean up. I suspect I deleted something I shouldn't have deleted. One thing that leads me to believe this is no one else seems to be having this problem. My plan now is to go over my installation documentation to update. And then upgrade to 19.1 in couple of weeks. If that doesn't fix the problem or if no one else reports the same issue I will reinstall fresh. If the problem still occurs open a bug report.
LM Cinnamon 19, ASUS M5A97 R2.0 MB, FX-4100, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256gb, dual 24" monitors, MSI GEFORCE GTX 1050ti Areo ITX. Big user of Gramps, LibreOffice, Unison. Entire system on SSD, also WD black 500gb for backup.

Return to “Cinnamon”