You want more windows users? Focus the gamers

Chat about Linux in general
ark_t931
Level 1
Level 1

You want more windows users? Focus the gamers

Post by ark_t931 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:48 pm

I think if you can get a sound version of playonlinux running and have a basic OS that runs the most minimal resources so that when they run windows apps/games through pol they dont have to install the needed files to run it, but they install themselves.

All people really want is a fast OS with their desired options already pre-installed for gaming, I understand that you would also have the drivers needed for their pc. But that in a nutshell would be awesome if mint could do this. I am aware of the linux OS options are out there for this. But I prefer mint because of ease of use (yes the signs of a windows user lol).

Having a mint OS for windows gamers would be awesome. Even having an open source screen cast or recorder would be like the perfect touch.

gm10
Level 13
Level 13

Re: You want more windows users? Focus the gamers

Post by gm10 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:03 pm

The problems were never the software - install steam (enable Steam Play) and obs-studio and you're covered with gaming and streaming - the problem are the drivers for the newest hardware that gamers like to field.

lsemmens
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lsemmens » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:41 pm

Rather than focus on the gamers, who would jump ship at the drop of a hat if a better OS for their game came along, You need to focus on the developers of said games to convince them that LINUX is worth developing for. The only reason that gamers stay with M$ is because their favourite game is not available in Linux. No gamer that I know of willingly allows an OS to get in the way of his favourite game running at the highest resolution possible.
Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Linux Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:17 pm

Orrrr do what I do, keep linux for the computer and buy a gaming console for games, unless your a die hard pc gamer only, then yup theirs steam
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:23 am

samriggs wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:17 pm
Orrrr do what I do, keep linux for the computer and buy a gaming console for games, unless your a die hard pc gamer only, then yup theirs steam
Game comsoles is what many OS X gamers use, or you could just dual boot with WIndows, which I would still do if I was a gamer.

Unfortunately the list if things needed to make Linuix a viable gaming platform is is a HELL of a lot longer than the OP realizes.

Return to “Chat about Linux”