<SOLVED> How to install Redshift

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Peter
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> How to install Redshift

Post by Peter » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:08 pm

Hi I have Redshift-gtk installed from the software manager and it is working.

But I want to install the alternative Redshift.... the version with a GUI that allows various adjustments to be made.

The directions are: (1) "sudo apt-get install redshift"........ ( no problems); then
(2) "Extract to ~/.local/share/cinnamon/applets"
(3) "Enable the applet in Cinnamon settings"

I don 't understand step two (2)....what does that mean and how do I do this step? (and anything else that I should be aware of!!!)

Running Mint 19, Cinnamon 3.8.9, kernel 4.15.0-42....

Thanks, Peter
Last edited by Peter on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redlined
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to install Redshift

Post by redlined » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:27 pm

hi Peter!

I'm new to linux, but was curious so will ask- where did you get those install instructions? reason I wonder is because it is giving you two install options the apt install will do all the extract to and auto-configures for system letting LM know it is present.

#2 and 3 are a manual install method and likely unnecessary if already installed via apt. If you post link to this alternative redshift you desire we may be able to get this sorted.
Moem kōan 42: Should tool manufacturers be required to fix their products so that you cannot use their saws to cut the tree branch that you're sitting on?

(The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is... 42!!;)

Peter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Peter » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:53 pm

Hi redlined, thanks for your reply, the link to the page that I quoted previously is:

https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/296

it looks reasonably official/reputable

Peter

JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JerryF » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:10 pm

If I may, I'd suggest f.lux. It's GUI friendly.

https://justgetflux.com/
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

Peter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Peter » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:13 pm

Tks JerryF,
rather try to get the redshift sorted, but if I have no luck with this I will give 'f.lux' a try
Thanks again, Peter

philotux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by philotux » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:14 pm

Right click on the zip folder redshift@foldermarvel4u (wherever you have downloaded it into): Open with archive manager. In the toolbar click Extract and in the next window click Home. Now press Ctrl-h to make hidden folders visible. Navigate to .local/share/cinnamon/applets and click Extract at bottom right corner of the window. Now go to System Settings: Applets mark Redshift and click + to add it to your panel.

Peter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Peter » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:35 pm

Hi philotux
just done as you suggested (thanks). There was a caution symbol on the screen that mentioned that "this may contain function calls that could crash cinnamon"---- ? So I will see if it appears to work OK without problems and report back later after test driving it for a while...

Maybe it's incompatable with my set-up? time will tell....

Thanks philoltux

Peter

philotux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by philotux » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:40 pm

You are welcome!
If you notice any malfunction like unusual high CPU usage, freezing, crashes etc, just disable it from System Settings: Applets and see if the issue is related to this particular applet.

Cheers
philotux

Peter
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <SOLVED> How to install Redshift

Post by Peter » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:47 pm

Hi philotux
thanks for the suggestions........hey this is sweet..... it's seems to be running well and the GUI is great on this version, streets ahead of 'redshift-gtk', the standard version.

Thanks again to all who made suggestions

Peter

redlined
Level 4
Level 4

Post by redlined » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:50 pm

Peter wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:53 pm
Hi redlined, thanks for your reply, the link to the page that I quoted previously is:

https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/296

it looks reasonably official/reputable

Peter
hi Peter! hey, that is the goodies page for LM. First redshift is installed by default and when you open it from menu you should see this icon in your systray:
icon.png
Redshift systray icon
icon.png (44.47 KiB) Viewed 88 times
for the app you are looking to run for better config options than the systray icon alone allows you want to open menu>a[pplets>download tab>select redshift there and click the download arrow on the right side>then go to applets/Manage tab>click on redshift>click the + (plus sign) at bottom left>then click gear box to configure this applet for your system.

all that other business about extract and such is not needed, as long as you are running cinnamon applet manager is your friend :)
Moem kōan 42: Should tool manufacturers be required to fix their products so that you cannot use their saws to cut the tree branch that you're sitting on?

(The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is... 42!!;)

philotux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by philotux » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:51 pm

Hi Peter,
Thanks to you and this thread, me too, I did install the applet. It looks really good and seems to work well.

Thanks!
philotux

Peter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Peter » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi philotux and redlined.... first, philotux, I am happy that you also like this little app, I am really pleased with it too. So easy once it's installed properly.... and to you redlined, I am so new to the various methods of installing new software or variants to existing software on Linux that I find it very easy to dig myself a hole sometimes, when I am attempting any of this stuff. Just a matter of my lack of experience, although I seem to be improving with practise, so thank you too, for your suggestions and useful information.

Peter

redlined
Level 4
Level 4

Post by redlined » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:28 pm

Peter wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:01 pm
Hi philotux and redlined.... first, philotux, I am happy that you also like this little app, I am really pleased with it too. So easy once it's installed properly.... and to you redlined, I am so new to the various methods of installing new software or variants to existing software on Linux that I find it very easy to dig myself a hole sometimes, when I am attempting any of this stuff. Just a matter of my lack of experience, although I seem to be improving with practise, so thank you too, for your suggestions and useful information.

Peter
hi Peter! I know exactly what you are saying above! I am still very new to linux (installed this past Spring) and clearly recall how it took me a week to get applets sorted using that manager, especially that + (add it once downloaded and installed :lol:

I enjoy the learning and tinkering and am happy when I have semi-figured out how to get something done on LM. My confusion stemmed from those 3 install commands you gave, as they seemed to be saying do the same thing- problem was both the redshift package and the redshift applet have the same name. The applet manager is the main way to do what philotux took you through manually, which was #2&3 problem being I didn't know you had manually downloaded their applet so it all made no sense.

anyways...also, that warning you see in applets beside the redshift applet is that way for a few applets in there a couple of which I use daily and have no issue- but if I did as philotux mentioned just disable it in applets (manager) or remove it using the - (minus) sign.

Return to “Newbie Questions”