Peculiar (corrupted?) image files

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Kefyr
Level 1
Level 1

Peculiar (corrupted?) image files

Post by Kefyr » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:00 pm

Several times now I've noticed pictures (.jpg files) that I can access on other machines appear corrupted on my machine now.

Instead of having a file name like "file.jpg" they'll be called "._file.jpg" and won't display at all in any image viewing program. It's not consistent either because other .jpg files work just fine. I'm sure it's not the files themselves because on any other machine they seem to work just fine.

I've tried removing the "._" from the file name but it doesn't help at all.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this ?

Thank you.

redlined
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Peculiar (corrupted?) image files

Post by redlined » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:53 pm

Kefyr wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:00 pm
Several times now I've noticed pictures (.jpg files) that I can access on other machines appear corrupted on my machine now.

Instead of having a file name like "file.jpg" they'll be called "._file.jpg" and won't display at all in any image viewing program. It's not consistent either because other .jpg files work just fine. I'm sure it's not the files themselves because on any other machine they seem to work just fine.

I've tried removing the "._" from the file name but it doesn't help at all.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this ?

Thank you.
hi Keyfyr! I'm new to linux, this made me curious so thought to share some idea I have.

It sounds like corruption, but probably not. Can you share what OS you are using, version and desktop environment at least (paste command into terminal inxi -Fxz, hit enter then paste the results in your next reply would answer a lot of troubleshooter questions in this forum, it quickly benefits all involved with the extra environment info up front.

Also, wondering if it could be permission errors. Do you still share the files with another machine(s)? what other OS can view the files? where are the files stored? (as in a half full error free shared drive formatted NTFS or Fat32, etc..

lastly, to clarify, the other machine(s) are/were able to veiw these files as they are named now, in your example, correct?

edit to add: last question, for now, from me :mrgreen: what app or program are you using to view successfully and unsucessfully?
that's all. for now;)
Moem kōan 42: Should tool manufacturers be required to fix their products so that you cannot use their saws to cut the tree branch that you're sitting on?

(The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is... 42!!;)

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Peculiar (corrupted?) image files

Post by Mute Ant » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:57 pm

The ._ prefix looks like an addition made by the file-transfer program. Files can't instantly be created so it assembles a temporary version and renames it when the copy is the same as the original. So, I guess you didn't get a full copy of the original.

JPG is not robust, just one bit wrong can trash thousands of pixels, so it's no surprise if partial copy is unusable.
To lose one Death Star is unfortunate, to lose two is sheer carelessness.

Return to “Newbie Questions”