[solved] Laptop overheating with Linux Mint 19 "Tara" MATE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Goro Daimon
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] Laptop overheating with Linux Mint 19 "Tara" MATE

Post by Goro Daimon » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:18 am

I installed thermald here but the problem persists. Help me. My processor is pentium D and I have 4 GB ram!
I am on big ventilator in the maximum velocity here to refresh, to cool my laptop. Please for love of God help me! My Laptop is Compaq Presario CQ40-612BR.
Last edited by Goro Daimon on Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Re: [solved] Laptop overheating with Linux Mint 19 "Tara" MATE

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:42 am

How was it solved?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Goro Daimon
Level 1
Level 1

Laptop overheating with Linux Mint 19 "Tara" MATE

Post by Goro Daimon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:43 pm

Hey! I did not solve the problem. I need to use a fan here.

idlerwheel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by idlerwheel » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:06 pm

Were the vent holes under the computer blocked by fabric, such as bedding?

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:23 pm

Heatsink Fan Cleaning

1. Get a Paper Clip that is the proper size to fit through the Intake Vents on the bottom of the laptop closest to the Exhaust/Heatsink. Straighten it out so that you can poke it through the vents and hold the fan from spinning.

2. Use on of those Air Dusters you get at your local Big Box Store for Electronics. Don't shake the can and keep it as upright as possible or moisture will come out.

3. Prop the laptop upright so that you can keep the Canned Air Duster upright. While holding the fan still with the Paperclip take your Canned Air Duster and in small bursts blow air into the Intake towards the Heat Sink, which is the Exhaust area. This is to blow as much dust Out as possible at first, but is not mandatory, you can start with blowing into the exhaust first if you like. Now do the same thing but spray into the Exhaust while holding the Fan from moving. Do short bursts into each little slot.

4. Move the fan around a little and repeat these steps over a few times to loosen any stubborn dust and relieve any dust caught on the fan.

In your case do this over and over again to assure the best job possible. You may not get much of it out at all with such an old laptop. The reality is when they get this old the build up of dust/lint will completely clog the Heatsink and you will not be able to use this method, but will need to take the laptop apart.
Last edited by pcpunk on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
HP Series HST NN-104C Bussiness Notebook nx7400, KDE 17.1-64BIT
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB of RAM

sleeper12
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sleeper12 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:56 pm

If you feel up to doing it, open the laptop & clean the vents, fan & heatsink of dust, etc. Maybe even apply some new thermal paste to the cpu & gpu. Youtube has how to videos that make it rather easy or maybe you know someone who can do it.

Return to “MATE”