[SOLVED] Clock disappears from panel

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
milon
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Clock disappears from panel

Post by milon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:34 pm

I'm running Linux Mint 19.1 on XFCE. Software Manager reports everything is up to date. I believe I'm using the latest kernel, 4.18.0-13.

I prefer the AM/PM style clock in the panel. (Is that the correct name for the bar at the bottom?) I right-click it and choose Properties, then select the option displaying AM or PM and press OK. The clock "disappears" - it becomes a bar about the width of the mouse cursor and is entirely blank. I can hover over it, and it will light up, but nothing I do will restore the clock - including setting it back to the original 24-hour display.

The only workaround I've found is to remove it and add a new Clock item to the panel. The clock also disappears just by opening the Properties page and closing it again without making any changes.

Does this happen to anyone else? I haven't been able to find any posts etc about this issue, so I assume it's not a known bug.

What other info should I provide? And how do I get that info? I'm still pretty much a newbie with Linux. ;)
Last edited by milon on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Clock disappears from panel

Post by HaveaMint » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:21 pm

milon wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:34 pm
I'm running Linux Mint 19.1 on XFCE. Software Manager reports everything is up to date. I believe I'm using the latest kernel, 4.18.0-13.

I prefer the AM/PM style clock in the panel. (Is that the correct name for the bar at the bottom?) I right-click it and choose Properties, then select the option displaying AM or PM and press OK. The clock "disappears" - it becomes a bar about the width of the mouse cursor and is entirely blank. I can hover over it, and it will light up, but nothing I do will restore the clock - including setting it back to the original 24-hour display.

The only workaround I've found is to remove it and add a new Clock item to the panel. The clock also disappears just by opening the Properties page and closing it again without making any changes.

Does this happen to anyone else? I haven't been able to find any posts etc about this issue, so I assume it's not a known bug.

What other info should I provide? And how do I get that info? I'm still pretty much a newbie with Linux. ;)
My solution was to remove clock and add DateTime and set it up the way you like.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

milon
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Clock disappears from panel

Post by milon » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:54 pm

HaveaMint wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:21 pm
My solution was to remove clock and add DateTime and set it up the way you like.
Great idea, thanks! That worked for me. :)

Return to “Xfce”