Need Help getting the Touchpad for the Ideapad330-15IGM to Work on Linux Mint 19.1

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
VampireFox2
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:08 pm

Need Help getting the Touchpad for the Ideapad330-15IGM to Work on Linux Mint 19.1

Post by VampireFox2 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi,

So I recently purchased a new laptop from Best Buy around the beginning of August, the Lenovo Ideapad 330-15IGM. It came with Windows 10 Home which I first replaced it with Ubuntu and now Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon. I'm having a problem, the touchpad does not work, everything else does. I searched around the internet and found some solutions however they are way beyond my understanding. I have never messed with or recompiled the Linux kernel. Can someone help me with this? If I have to do so I'd need some help doing it. Thanks for taking the time to read this :D


My Laptop Specs: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-330 ... Id=6221788


Solutions found:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1049787 ... ot-working

https://www.reddit.com/r/kernel/comment ... apad_330s/

deepakdeshp
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4335
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Need Help getting the Touchpad for the Ideapad330-15IGM to Work on Linux Mint 19.1

Post by deepakdeshp » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:34 pm

Does an external mouse solve the problem, that is use it instead of the touch pad.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Joan_2018
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:51 pm
Location: Barcelona

Re: Need Help getting the Touchpad for the Ideapad330-15IGM to Work on Linux Mint 19.1

Post by Joan_2018 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:57 pm

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Ideapad-330-15IKB and all works perfectly on the Linux Mint 19.1 (Cinnamon). I think the trackpad is the same on the two models, so it could be perhaps a problem with the hardware. On windows, do it worked well ? When you are installing from the usb boot, the trackpad do not work ?

VampireFox2
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:08 pm

Re: Need Help getting the Touchpad for the Ideapad330-15IGM to Work on Linux Mint 19.1

Post by VampireFox2 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:19 pm

deepakdeshp wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:34 pm
Does an external mouse solve the problem, that is use it instead of the touch pad.

Yes I have a wireless usb mouse and it does work. I use the touchpad sometimes just wanted to see if I could get it to work for fun mostly.

VampireFox2
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:08 pm

Re: Need Help getting the Touchpad for the Ideapad330-15IGM to Work on Linux Mint 19.1

Post by VampireFox2 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:26 pm

Joan_2018 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:57 pm
Hi,

I have a Lenovo Ideapad-330-15IKB and all works perfectly on the Linux Mint 19.1 (Cinnamon). I think the trackpad is the same on the two models, so it could be perhaps a problem with the hardware. On windows, do it worked well ? When you are installing from the usb boot, the trackpad do not work ?
The laptop came with Windows 10 Home and it worked fine. It doesn't work on any older Windows version or on any Linux distro even after installing updates.

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10140
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Need Help getting the Touchpad for the Ideapad330-15IGM to Work on Linux Mint 19.1

Post by JeremyB » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:22 am

Please post results for

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep -i elan

User avatar
bbaker6212
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 522
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:35 pm

Re: Need Help getting the Touchpad for the Ideapad330-15IGM to Work on Linux Mint 19.1

Post by bbaker6212 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:30 am

JeremyB wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:22 am
Please post results for

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep -i elan
Yes, you need to know which touchpad device you have and which Kernel version are you running. There have been various touchpad related changes in recent kernels, some specific to Lenovo Ideapad, so you should be running kernel v4.19.xx
Linux Mint Mate 19.1 k/4.15, Windows 10, Manjaro 18.03 Xfce k/4.19.24-1
Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15IKB, Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, Samsung EVO 850 SATA SSD, 14GB Optane M.2 PCIe NVMe, QCA9377 WiFi

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10140
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Need Help getting the Touchpad for the Ideapad330-15IGM to Work on Linux Mint 19.1

Post by JeremyB » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:35 am

bbaker6212 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:30 am
JeremyB wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:22 am
Please post results for

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep -i elan
Yes, you need to know which touchpad device you have and which Kernel version are you running. There have been various touchpad related changes in recent kernels, some specific to Lenovo Ideapad, so you should be running kernel v4.19.xx
I have backported some of the additions for elan touchpads so they will work in Mint with the 4.15 kernel

FenderGuy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:24 pm

Re: Need Help getting the Touchpad for the Ideapad330-15IGM to Work on Linux Mint 19.1

Post by FenderGuy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:04 pm

Joan_2018 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:57 pm
I have a Lenovo Ideapad-330-15IKB and all works perfectly on the Linux Mint 19.1 (Cinnamon).
The Lenovo Ideapad 330 is "on sale" locally and I'm thinking of buying one to replace a recently deceased ASUS laptop.

During the initial Mint install, was your Lenovo able to install wifi and bluetooth drivers without user intervention?

Are you satisfied with the performance of your Lenovo 330?

Thanks for any help.

FenderGuy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:24 pm

Re: Need Help getting the Touchpad for the Ideapad330-15IGM to Work on Linux Mint 19.1

Post by FenderGuy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:18 pm

VampireFox2 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:16 pm
Hi,

So I recently purchased a new laptop from Best Buy around the beginning of August, the Lenovo Ideapad 330-15IGM. It came with Windows 10 Home which I first replaced it with Ubuntu and now Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon. I'm having a problem, the touchpad does not work, everything else does. I searched around the internet and found some solutions however they are way beyond my understanding. I have never messed with or recompiled the Linux kernel. Can someone help me with this? If I have to do so I'd need some help doing it. Thanks for taking the time to read this :D
In the Start menu, there's a "mouse/touchpad" option. Click that option and check the settings; it's possible that the touchpad is simply disabled.

Hope this works for you!

User avatar
bbaker6212
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 522
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:35 pm

Re: Need Help getting the Touchpad for the Ideapad330-15IGM to Work on Linux Mint 19.1

Post by bbaker6212 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:38 pm

Late reply but I just bought the Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15IKB and the touchpad worked out of the box with Mint 19.1, Manjaro, and MX-linux.
Swapped the slow HD for my Samsung 850 EVO SSD. Disabled the Intel Optane feature in the BIOS and was able to install Mint on that tiny 16GB drive.
I use the Refind boot manager not Grub. Everything works so far... audio, brightness, Wifi, etc. Have not tested bluetooth yet.
Linux Mint Mate 19.1 k/4.15, Windows 10, Manjaro 18.03 Xfce k/4.19.24-1
Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15IKB, Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, Samsung EVO 850 SATA SSD, 14GB Optane M.2 PCIe NVMe, QCA9377 WiFi

Joan_2018
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:51 pm
Location: Barcelona

Re: Need Help getting the Touchpad for the Ideapad330-15IGM to Work on Linux Mint 19.1

Post by Joan_2018 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:27 pm

FenderGuy wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:04 pm
Joan_2018 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:57 pm
I have a Lenovo Ideapad-330-15IKB and all works perfectly on the Linux Mint 19.1 (Cinnamon).
The Lenovo Ideapad 330 is "on sale" locally and I'm thinking of buying one to replace a recently deceased ASUS laptop.

During the initial Mint install, was your Lenovo able to install wifi and bluetooth drivers without user intervention?

Are you satisfied with the performance of your Lenovo 330?

Thanks for any help.
Sorry for a little late answer: all is running perfectly. I have bluetooth sound and mouse running, wi-fi without any problem, and few days an external HDMI monitor on test. This lapotop runs Mint 19.1 out of the box, and does not need external drivers. The only issue is the sensitivity of the touchpad, a little higher than desireable for my taste.

User avatar
killinjoe
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:03 am

Re: Need Help getting the Touchpad for the Ideapad330-15IGM to Work on Linux Mint 19.1

Post by killinjoe » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:54 pm

Hello guys,

I have just finished wrestling with a Lenovo Ideapad 330-15AST. After booting on a LM19.1 Tara live USB, I had no wi-fi, no bluetooth, and no Touchpad. Everything worked as a charm on Windoze 10.1

Same after a clean install.

The Wifi problem I solved by using this thread: viewtopic.php?t=276656, i.e. by downloading the required driver from Github and compiling it. The touchpad issue proved to be a little harder to crack and I finally tried to upgrade the kernel to 4.19.1, which gave me back touchpad use at the price of a couple of inoffensive quirks when booting.

However, I can't figure the bluetooth problem. seems ok but refuses flat out to identify any kind of device. I'll take any useful hint you might have... Thanks.

Post Reply

Return to “Hardware Support”