[SOLVED] How to format a Live Iso usb stick in LinuxMint 18 and 19

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] How to format a Live Iso usb stick in LinuxMint 18 and 19

Post by carum carvi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:27 pm

I had an abondoned Live Iso usb stick lying around.
I wanted to put another bootable Linux distro Iso on it.
But I noticed I could NOT format the former Live Iso usb stick, no matter what I tried.

I could NOT format the Live Iso usb stick with the standard LinuxMint program "Discs".
I could NOT format the Live Iso usb stick with the often suggested "Gparted" program either.

I found a fabulously simple and easy solution though.
I thought it would be good for other newbies to know about this easy step to re format their old Live Iso usb sticks.

I selected my Live Iso usb stick in "Discs".

I pressed "Ctrl+F".

And my usb stick was suddenly available and ready to be formatted again.

It was the fastest and easiest solution I could find.
Last edited by carum carvi on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philotux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] How to simply RE format a formerly used Live Iso usb stick

Post by philotux » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:29 pm

That's great!
Thanks for sharing!

rickNS
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] How to format a Live Iso usb stick in LinuxMint 18 and 19

Post by rickNS » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:58 pm

carum carvi wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:27 pm
I had an abondoned Live Iso usb stick lying around.
I wanted to put another bootable Linux distro Iso on it.
SNIP
It was the fastest and easiest solution I could find.
There's an even easier way to reuse a stick the way you want, that is to skip any intermediate formating steps, they're not needed.
I've reused live USB sticks a few times, and the ISO burning/writing software takes care of that by itself. Remember the warning "all data on stick will be lost".
Mint 18 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

vansloneker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vansloneker » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:28 pm

This issue has been discussed here before, apparently when a DVD bit has been set, Linux refuses a format. I have not run into this before but if everything fails I would try to clone a working disk or partition to it. That worked for me with persistent boot loaded hard disks.

But I am curious what ctrl+F means and does in 'Disks'. I was not aware of shortcut key combinations in 'disks'.
Unless stated otherwise Mint 18.3-64 XFCE

===============================================================================================================================Image

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:53 am

rickNS wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:58 pm
I've reused live USB sticks a few times, and the ISO burning/writing software takes care of that by itself. Remember the warning "all data on stick will be lost".
RickNS, which burning software did you use? My problem with trying to reuse a live Iso usb stick began when the designated Iso burn software in LM18/19 refused to burn a new Iso, because of an older live Iso on that usb stick. I had used the standard LM18 or LM19 usb Iso burn software. Which one did you use RickNS?
vansloneker wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:28 pm
But I am curious what ctrl+F means and does in 'Disks'. I was not aware of shortcut key combinations in 'disks'.
Vansloneker, I read that specific keyboard button combination on an Ubuntu forum. It's surprisingly simple, quick and effective.

Open "Discs" in LM 18 or 19.
Select the usb stick that has to be formatted with your mouse.
Then press the "Ctrl+F" combination and automatically a window will open that gives you the option to format the live usb stick.

rickNS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rickNS » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:06 am

carum carvi wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:53 am
rickNS wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:58 pm
RickNS, which burning software did you use? My problem with trying to reuse a live Iso usb stick began when the designated Iso burn software in LM18/19 refused to burn a new Iso, because of an older live Iso on that usb stick. I had used the standard LM18 or LM19 usb Iso burn software. Which one did you use RickNS?
Well since UnetBootin does not seem to work for me, at least not with persistence, I ashamedly admit to using Lilli (linux live usb creator), works great, never fails.
I don't see why the "good" programs for linux are not in the repos, and have to be installed via PPAs.

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:36 pm

rickNS wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:06 am
Well since UnetBootin does not seem to work for me, at least not with persistence, I ashamedly admit to using Lilli (linux live usb creator), works great, never fails.
I don't see why the "good" programs for linux are not in the repos, and have to be installed via PPAs.
RickNS, your suggested software from a PPA is quite risky, especially when it is software designed for installing a new distro. I dont want to take risks with security when installing a Live Iso on my system, because installation software has got acces to EVERYTHING!

As of now it isnt possible to directly REformat a formerly used Live Iso usb stick with the standard usb disc writer program in LinuxMint 18 + 19. But there is a quick button combination with which one can still use the standard "Discs" software in LinuxMint 18 and 19.

The quickest and most secure solution is still the one that I have found:

Open "Discs".
Select the usb stick one wants to reformat.
Press "Ctrl+F"

And any old Live Iso usb stick CAN BE RE formatted to be used again for whatever purpose.

rickNS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rickNS » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:41 pm

carum carvi wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:36 pm

RickNS, your suggested software from a PPA is quite risky, especially when it is software designed for installing a new distro. I dont want to take risks
Not risky, I don't take risks, Lili is NOT from a PPA, but something like Etcher is. (and Unetbootin don't work for me).
I'm sure that the vast majority of PPAs are perfectly safe, If there were some "bad" code in someone's PPA it would pretty quickly become known. I admit, like you, I avoid them unless necessary.

Return to “Newbie Questions”