Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
drjim
Level 1
Level 1

Dual boot installation not giving a choice Win 10 or Mint

Post by drjim » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:13 pm

I just did a dual boot installation on my Dell computer, originally running Windows 10. When I've done this in the past, on a Win 7 computer, whenever I started the computer, I'd get a choice of OS to start up. Now only one OS will boot and there is no choice offered. I can hit F12 on startup, go to "change boot mode settings" and choose one marked "legacy" that will make Mint the default boot (still no choice) or choose a boot marked "UEFI" that will make Windows 10 the default startup OS.

This kind of works but it's pretty inconvenient. I'm guessing I did something wrong or left something out while installing Mint in dual boot. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks,

Jim

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Dual boot installation not giving a choice Win 10 or Mint

Post by JeremyB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:16 pm

Sounds like Mint might have been installed in Legacy mode rather than UEFI, check this command in Mint

Code: Select all

mokutil --sb-state

drjim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drjim » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:44 pm

JeremyB wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:16 pm
Sounds like Mint might have been installed in Legacy mode rather than UEFI, check this command in Mint

mokutil --sb-state
JeremyB wrote:

mokutil --sb-state
I did as suggested and got the message "EFI variables are not supported on this system" whatever that means.

drjim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drjim » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:06 pm

drjim wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:44 pm
JeremyB wrote:

mokutil --sb-state
JeremyB wrote:

mokutil --sb-state
I did as suggested and got the message "EFI variables are not supported on this system" whatever that means.
On the other hand, I think you're right about the "legacy" mode. I didn't know what that meant when I was installing despite following directions closely. If it was installed in "legacy" mode what does that mean? Is it fixable? Do I need to reinstall Mint? If so, any tips on the re installation?

Thanks,

Jim

hcentaur13
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hcentaur13 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:53 am

W10 installs in default in UEFI-Mode.
Mint up to 18.3 install installs in default in compatible (msdos) mode.
Mint 19 and up installs in default in UEFI mode.

The mode the installed system boots up is defined through the mode the install medium is booted in.

It makes no sense to boot one OS in compatible and another in UEFI mode. Decide which mode all OSes have to boot. UEFI is the future all manufacturer will use in future. compatible mode will go away!

Any installation media are able to boot in compatible AND UEFI mode. The BIOS will list both modes together and lets you decide which one to use yet un ther BIOS settings. So use the same for all.

When UEFI is your choice you can simply boot always to linux. grub will let you the choice to boot windows instead. So no need to use BIOS to get windows up.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:47 am

drjim wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:13 pm
This kind of works but it's pretty inconvenient.
I think you should keep this setup because M$'s forced auto-upgrades twice per year in Win 10 will definitely bork the "correctly installed" Grub bootloader = only Win 10 will boot = requiring the manual reinstall of Grub to recover dual-boot.

drjim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drjim » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:54 pm

michael louwe wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:47 am
drjim wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:13 pm
This kind of works but it's pretty inconvenient.
I think you should keep this setup because M$'s forced auto-upgrades twice per year in Win 10 will definitely bork the "correctly installed" Grub bootloader = only Win 10 will boot = requiring the manual reinstall of Grub to recover dual-boot.
Hmm. Good point. Also, since I'm using Mint most of the time, it may be more convenient not to have to choose my OS every time I restart my computer. It's not really that big a deal to redo the boot when I want to change the OS.

Jim

Return to “Installation & Boot”