Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mattlach
Level 3
Level 3

Ryzen 5 2400g (Raven Ridge) Intermittent Hard Freezes in 19 and 19.1

Post by mattlach »

Hey,

I have been fighting with this system I built for my fiance for some time now. Does anyone NOT have intermittent hard freezes with their Raven Ridge builds?

First I installed LM 19(Cinnamon Edition) last year. With Kernel 4.15 the freezing issue was obnoxious, and very frequent.

To help address this I installed the Ubuntu Cosmic kernel builds, in order to get something a little newer with better hardware support. This helped, reducing the occurrence a good deal, but still hard freezes occurred regularly (every couple of days, if not daily)

So, I started installing the 4.19 mainline kernels manually. Little by little things improved with every point release of 4.19. Then wehn LM19.1 came out I had high hopes this would help, so I immediately upgraded her. It might have helped a little, not sure, but freezes still happened.

Most recently we were on LM19.1 and mainline 4.19.11 and it went a couple of weeks without a hard freeze. I thought and hoped the problem had finally been solved, until today when it froze in the middle of her working on something.

So, today I am updating kernels again. Just installed the 4.20 build (the AMD64 versions of 4.20.1 and 4.20.2 failed to build for some reason, so the newest one available was 4.20) and I'm hoping this will improve things, but I am starting to lose my patience. Raven Ridge is almost a year old now. Back in the day, that would have mean t it is almost obsolete. :p I feel like hardware support should be working by now.

Does anyone have a Raven Ridge system that is NOT intermittently hard freezing? Is there something else I should try using newer builds of, rather than just the kernel? Xfree? Mesa? Something else?

I'd appreciate any input.
Desktop: Threadripper 3960x, Gigabyte TRX40 Aourus Master, 64GB DDR4-3600 CL16, 2TB Sabrent Rocket Gen4, Nvidia Titan X (Pascal)
Proxmox (NAS, Mythbuntu, etc.): 2x Xeon E5-2650v2, 256GB RAM, 120TB ZFS
ClixTrix
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Ryzen 5 2400g (Raven Ridge) Intermittent Hard Freezes in 19 and 19.1

Post by ClixTrix »

Check your motherboard for BIOS setting "PSU Idle Control" and change it to "Typical Current Idle". That definitely helps one type of Ryzen freeze problem.

If that doesn't help, need more on the system. Please run the following command from Terminal and post back the results.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Linux Mint 19.2 x64 Cinnamon 4.15.0-115-generic
Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H (F20) / Ryzen 5 1600 / Micron Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 2x8GB / Sapphire Radeon HD6450
NVMe-SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB / SATA-SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB + Toshiba OCZ VX500 512GB
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...your question(s) are (in a certain sense) expressed in a somewhat...broad manner.

Mint 19.1 won't really do any actual difference, because it still uses the same underlying LTS stack (from early 2018)...
Running the very latest mainline doesn't necessary mean it will behave better...
chances are that a previous 4.19.x might prove to be more stable after a few days / weeks testing.
Updating Mesa & Xorg theoritically should help up to a certain extent...
Updating the BIOS should again theoritically take care of some errata & underlying core issues...
Updating the AMD firmware blobs should theoritically also take care of some things...

So it's a multi-layered approach involving many parts...the 'whole stack' if you will...
there's a reason that most people with recent Ryzen variants use more cutting-edge distros that come with a newer parts.
Even such, a visit to bugzilla is enough to convince you that not necessarily everything will work in a 110% foolproof manner...
although way less than it was in early / mid 2018, it's still a work in progress.

ClixTrix's suggestion is spot on, and hopefully does the trick for you without further fiddling around.
You could also further try out (& which i've seen recommended) passing idle=nomwait to grub's parameters
(i believe it has a relatively similar effect on the processor with ClixTrix's suggestion...but then again i'm not a guru).
I'd certainly try keeping my BIOS up-to-date.
You could try updating the AMD firmware blobs to the very latest ones upstream, the following will do so:
apt install git && git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git && sudo cp -v -u linux-firmware/amdgpu/* /lib/firmware/amdgpu && sudo update-initramfs -uk all
If issues arise, sudo rm /lib/firmware/amdgpu/* && apt reinstall linux-firmware && sudo update-initramfs -uk all,
to install back Canonical's / Bionic's current package instead...
As for Mesa & Xorg, there's plenty of guides around for updating such via ppas.

In any case, try to approach it from multiple angles, yet without trying to apply every possible 'workaround' at once,
it's way far easier getting a grip of what's going on (& why), by doing 1-2 steps at a time.
Start with ClixTrix's suggestion...test a few days, then...etc etc.
And do check the logs after the lock-ups occur - chances are they will lead you to the appropriate bugzilla / launchpad reports...
mattlach
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mattlach »

ClixTrix wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:24 pm
Check your motherboard for BIOS setting "PSU Idle Control" and change it to "Typical Current Idle". That definitely helps one type of Ryzen freeze problem.

If that doesn't help, need more on the system. Please run the following command from Terminal and post back the results.

inxi -Fxz
Thank you for the suggestion.

Took a while to find where they hid it, but it is under "Advanced/D CBS/NBIO Common Options:

Keeping my fingers crossed that this solves it!
Desktop: Threadripper 3960x, Gigabyte TRX40 Aourus Master, 64GB DDR4-3600 CL16, 2TB Sabrent Rocket Gen4, Nvidia Titan X (Pascal)
Proxmox (NAS, Mythbuntu, etc.): 2x Xeon E5-2650v2, 256GB RAM, 120TB ZFS
bigbruise
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bigbruise »

mattlach wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:10 pm
ClixTrix wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:24 pm

inxi -Fxz
Thank you for the suggestion.

Took a while to find where they hid it, but it is under "Advanced/D CBS/NBIO Common Options:

Keeping my fingers crossed that this solves it!
I've been dealing with this issue as well. Also a Ryzen CPU.

Just went through this thread... http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp ... 4-freezing
Plenty of discussion concerning this same exact issue... do you have an ASRock board?

Return to “Hardware Support”