Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bigal
Level 4
Level 4

Making Lightning work in Mint 19.1

Post by bigal » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:13 am

Making Lightning work in Mint 19.1

I have just completed a fresh install of 64 bit Mint 19.1 Cinnamon and was surprised to find that the calendar add-on ‘Lightning’ is not compatible with the default version of Thunderbird email client. Obviously I had miss-understood somewhere along the way as I thought that it had been integrated into Thunderbird. The default Mint 19.1 installation has Thunderbird 60.2.1 (64 bit) included. So what to do about it? There are a lot of posts around concerning this problem so I thought I would write this brief ‘How – to’ to help.

With Thunderbird closed go to

Code: Select all

menu>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager
and enter your password. Once it has opened enter

thunderbird
in the search bar and click on

Search
Once the list has appeared scroll down until you can see a green (on my machine it is green) box to the left of thunderbird and the version 60.2.1. Click on thunderbird to highlight it. Next go to the ‘Package’ menu at the top of the page then scroll down to

Force version
and click on it. A new sub menu appears with a drop down box to enable you to select the version you require. On mine, other than the installed version I only had one other choice. 1:52.7.0+build1-0ubuntu1 (bionic). I selected this. If there are others available I suggest that you stick with this version. Finally, click on ‘Force version’ at the lower right of the sub menu. You will see that the version number has changed in ‘ Synaptic’ and now agrees with the version you have just selected. Click on ‘Apply’ in the top menu to make the change and once done, close ‘Synaptic’ and reboot just to make sure.

There is one final step to take and that is to stop ‘Update Manager’ from attempting to install the current and now unwanted version of Thunderbird. To do this open ‘Update Manager’ either by clicking in the icon in the task bar or using the

Menu>Administration>Update Manager
option. Once open

Edit>Preferences
and select

Blacklist
Click the ‘+’ (plus) sign then type thunderbird in the text box and click

OK
Close the ‘Preferences’ box, then close ‘Update Manager’.

NOTE Use lower case here. The selection is case sensitive. If you mistakenly capitalise the letter ‘T’ in thunderbird the software will not associate your instruction with the software and will carry on attempting to upgrade your version.

Close the ‘Preferences’ box, then close ‘Update Manager’.

All that is left is to install

Lightning
Fire up Thunderbird and go to

Tools>Add-ons
For some obscure reason, despite there being a tab entitled ‘Get Add-ons’ you will not find any search facility here. You need to select the next menu item below, the one entitled

Extensions
Here you can search for the

Lightning
Add-On. On my machine it was top of the list. Select it and click

Install
Once installed; only a second or two, Restart Thunderbird and your calendar should be up and running.

All the best.

bigal

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Making Lightning work in Mint 19.1

Post by karlchen » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:35 am

Thanks for confirming what was posted by silfox2000 in November 2018:
silfox2000 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:54 am
I just installed xul-ext-lightning from the software manager without any problems.
Oh. It was even confirmed in the Mozilla support forum: Thunderbird v60.2.1 (64bit with LinuX MinT) :wink:
--
P.S.:
Oops, post below clears up that I had read bigal's post carelessly and misunderstood his approach completely. :oops:
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 64-bit
Ubuntu 18.04.1 32-bit Mate Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 32-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

bigal
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bigal » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:09 pm

Hi karlchen ,

Yes I saw both of those but opted to stay with Lightning rather than going to xul-ext-lightning which seemed to me to be a different package.

You seem to indicate that I am wrong. I bow to your superior knowledge.

bigal

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:27 pm

Hi, bigal.

Seems as if I have misinterpreted your steps. :oops:
You force your system to stay with an old Thunderbird 52.7, which still supported the Lightning plugin from the Mozilla addon page.

Thunderbird 60 and above do not accept and support the old plugin from the Mozilla addon page any longer.
When Thunderbird 60 was released, the Ubuntu package xul-ext-lightning got published in their software repositories.
This package to me looks like a Lightning plugin modified in such a way that it works under Thunderbird 60.2.1.
It came into existence, when the Lightning plugin from the Mozilla addon webpage stopped working on Thunderbird 60 and higher.

Therefore, instead of locking an outdated Thunderbird, the recommendation is clearly switching to the package xul-ext-lightning, which will give you Lightning on Thunderbird 60 and higher.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 64-bit
Ubuntu 18.04.1 32-bit Mate Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 32-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

bigal
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bigal » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:05 pm

Hi Kark,

Many thanks for the explanation. It is a bit late in the evening for me so I'll look at this again tomorrow.

Cheers

bigal

bigal
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bigal » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:17 am

Hi again karlchen,

I am sorry its been a long time. My excuse is that I have had a major problem with our septic tank and underground sewerage pipework. Made worse as it was over a weekend.

Still, now back to Lightning. I was concerned that uninstalling the old and now not compatible version of Lightning would cause me to loose all of my diary entries. After some more reading the penny dropped and I realise that that problem had not been mentioned anywhere. I am sure it would have been should that have occurred. So, I went ahead and undid the changes I had made to prevent TB from being updated, then updated it to the current version – 60.2.1 (64 bit). Then I went ahead as you suggested and installed xul-ext-lightning

$ sudo apt install xul-ext-lightning
When I restarted TB, just as you said, there was my calender with all entries intact.

Thank you for the guidance. This is one Mint user who is very grateful.

So now the technical questions.

In what way is the old lightning extension incompatible with the current TB. What is causing the incompatibility?

Return to “Software & Applications”