MrGrimm
Level 4
Level 4

Appimage, Appimage Launcher, Appimaged, And Others

Post by MrGrimm » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:16 pm

phd21 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:54 pm
Hi MrGrimm,

The original post is about installing and using the excellent Krita image application which does have an AppImage option that I and others use.

It might be better to create another post for discussing AppImages in general.

The people who created AppImages and related applications (AppImage Helper Launcher, AppImageD, etc...), and who maintain them have been very helpful in most cases, so everyone should try to behave as you would want others to treat you (the maxim "the golden rule"). They have even gone through the extra effort to help various software developers create AppImages so that Linux users can easily install and use their software.

AppImages have always just worked well in my KDE systems and other Linux Mint systems that I test and use without using the AppImage Helper Launcher application, and or AppImageD, but I have to manually change the permission to run the AppImage file, then manually create menu and desktop shortcut launchers if that software did not include a desktop integration installer which is where the AppImage Helper launcher helps out.

I personally think that the AppImage helper launcher automatically moving a downloaded AppImage file into an Applications folder underneath a user's Home folder, and automatically changing the permission to run the AppImage, is a reasonable and good thing to do; I was manually doing that anyway before there was an AppImage Helper Launcher application.

I just quickly read your GitHub post and their replies. I would have to boot into my Cinnamon version to further test this. It looks like people can change the default folder location where the AppImage launcher will move AppImages if they wanted to do that.
so if i read the last part of your post correctly there is no reason i can edit the one file to just copy the appimage to the folder in the home directory land leave the original where it's att, so every time i use appimage launcher it will just copy the file, right?
Mint Cinnamon 19.1 Tessa 64 Bit

AMD FX 6300, Asus 970 Gaming/Aura, Samsung 120 Gig 850 EVO, 16 Gig DDR3,
USB 3.0 Card, AOC 29" Ultra Wide At 2560x1080.
SATA 500 & 500 Gig Hitachi drives, USB 3.0 1 TB WD & 2 TB Seagate Expansion

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Appimage, Appimage Launcher, Appimaged, And Others

Post by phd21 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:11 pm

Hi MrGrimm,

As I mentioned before, I rarely use the AppImage helper launcher and I have not used "AppImageD " because I can already run AppImages and it does not bother me to manually create shortcuts. The AppImage Helper Launcher works just like they said it would including "moving" the AppImage file to the Applications folder. From what I read the AppImageD does not move the AppImage file.

After rereading your GitHub post and replies, it looks like you can change the AppImage Helper Launcher application's default action of moving the AppImage file to wherever you want even to more than one place at once like to the Applications folder and another folder like perhaps your Downloads folder. If it were me and I wanted to save all AppImages I downloaded, I would create a /Downloads/AppImages folder and change the AppImage Helper Launcher's configuration file to allow it to move the AppImage files to their default running location (Applications) and to this folder. But, since the AppImages are already in the Applications folder that seems redundant.

As for whether or not you can keep the original downloaded AppImage file in the location you originally downloaded it to, I do not know the answer to that. As an ex-software developer and programmer, I would think that the developer(s) of the AppImage Helper Launcher or maybe the users could just change the code where it now "moves" the AppImage file to use the copy command instead of the move command thus leaving the original AppImage file wherever it is, or if the program removes the original file after copying or moving it to not include that remove original file function code, perhaps giving the user the choice to keep it or not to keep it. This is the developers choice and decision to make.

I think the AppImage Helper Launcher application is programmed in QT and the code that controls the moving or copying and or retaining the original AppImage file looks like it is in the file "/src/shared/shared.cpp" which means the application would have to be recompiled after making changes for those changes to work.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

MrGrimm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MrGrimm » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:33 pm

folder structure is where we differe big time. mine:

Partition = Downloads

Subfolders = Linux Torrents, Moto Sd Card, Torrents, Windiw's Downloads

Both Linux Downloads and Window's Downloads have these subfolders
Browsers - Internet Tools - Plugins
Desktop Tweakers
Games = Game Demos - Game Utilities
General Utilities(my miscellaneous folder)
Graphics - Printers - Word
ISO's
Monitors - Sound - Video
Wallpaper & Things

everything i download gets automatically downloaded to my torrents folder. from there it's test and if safe used and then filed away. lets take Monitors - Sound - Printers for example:

DuckieTV-1.1.5-ubuntu-x64.deb
DuckieTV-201811280130-ubuntu-x64.deb
emby-server-deb_3.5.3.0_amd64.deb
HandBreak
mkvtoolnix-64-bit-29.0.0-setup.exe
MKVToolNix_GUI-29.0.0-x86_64.AppImage
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-415.13.run
Plex_Media_Player_2.24.0.924-63fcaa8e_x64.AppImage
plexmediaserver_1.14.1.5488-cc260c476_amd64.deb
'QMMP Music Player'
RenameMyTVSeries2.0.0-Linux64bit
SMPlayer

as you can see it's pretty straightforward. the items you see without file extensions are text files with instruction for installing the item via terminal, or what to look for in synaptic cause not everything is name the way it should be. as for items not listed there i have a master list of all installed software. i learned a long time ago not to keep anything on the os drive i cannot or do not want to lose.

as for

"I think the AppImage Helper Launcher application is programmed in QT and the code that controls the moving or copying and or retaining the original AppImage file looks like it is in the file "/src/shared/shared.cpp" which means the application would have to be recompiled after making changes for those changes to work. "

the one guy made it sound like it's pretty easy to edit the code.

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Post by phd21 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi MrGrimm,
MrGrimm wrote:everything i download gets automatically downloaded to my torrents folder. from there it's test and if safe used and then filed away. lets take Monitors - Sound - Printers for example

as you can see it's pretty straightforward. the items you see without file extensions are text files with instruction for installing the item via terminal, or what to look for in synaptic cause not everything is name the way it should be. as for items not listed there i have a master list of all installed software. i learned a long time ago not to keep anything on the os drive i cannot or do not want to lose.
I always recommend using a very good Notes application like CherryTree for putting notes and instructions and web links for everything from Linux Mint to everything else you may want notes of. CherryTree is in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), and also has a PPA and or deb file for newer versions - see link below.
cherrytree – giuspen
https://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/

Software can quickly become outdated, so saving all the installation files is not really necessary except for hard to find software files and may not work with updated Linux Mint versions. Using a good notes application and storing the instructions for custom software installations and PPA's and repositories would suffice. And, that is what backups are for. I download a lot of software and stuff and I have my Luckybackup or FreeFileSync synchronize (sync) my Home folders frequently to my USB external backup drive(s).

FYI: The superb Aptik application can backup Linux Mint customizations including various software sources (PPA's, repositories, etc...)
MrGrimm wrote: DuckieTV-1.1.5-ubuntu-x64.deb
DuckieTV-201811280130-ubuntu-x64.deb
I never heard of DuckieTV but it looks interesting, so I will check that out. Thanks.
I have been using this link for tracking TV shows
TV Calendar January 2019 - Prime Time TV Schedule & TV Episode Calendar: Track your favourite TV shows
https://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/

Release DuckieTV 1.1.5 - Garfield's Saga · SchizoDuckie/DuckieTV
https://github.com/SchizoDuckie/DuckieT ... /tag/1.1.5

DuckieTV - online version
http://duckietv.github.io/DuckieTV/#!/
MrGrimm wrote: RenameMyTVSeries2.0.0-Linux64bit
I have been using "filebot", but this looks interesting too.

Tweaking4All.com - Rename My TV Series 2
https://www.tweaking4all.com/home-theat ... series-v2/

MrGrimm wrote: mkvtoolnix-64-bit-29.0.0-setup.exe
MKVToolNix_GUI-29.0.0-x86_64.AppImage
MKVToolNix Downloads – Matroska tools for Linux/Unix and Windows
- In Addition to having an AppImage, they also have a repository at the bottom that I use.
https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html

MrGrimm wrote:NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-415.13.run
There is a PPA for the best and most current nVidia drivers.
Easy Linux Tips Project: NVIDIA: how to install the latest video card drivers
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/nvidia.html

Install And Test Vulkan On Linux - LinuxConfig.org
https://linuxconfig.org/install-and-tes ... n-on-linux

* good read- How to update Open Source graphic driver in Ubuntu - Unreal Tournament Forums
https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournam ... -in-ubuntu
MrGrimm wrote:Qmmp
'QMMP Music Player' - which can also use some WinAMP skins
There is a PPA for Qmmp which updates it with new features (install "qmmp-plugin-pack" too).

Qmmp Audio Player 1.2.1 Released with FFmpeg 4.0 Support
http://tipsonubuntu.com/2018/04/25/qmmp ... 0-support/
MrGrimm wrote: SMPlayer
Both SMplayer and MPV have established PPA's that I have been using for years.

SMPlayer 18.2.2 Released, Install In Ubuntu/Linux Mint Via PPA - NoobsLab
https://www.noobslab.com/2018/02/smplay ... ll-in.html

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste ("Shift+Insert" or "Ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rvm/smplayer

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mc3man/mpv-tests

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install mpv smplayer smtube  youtube-dl
or for added smplayer themes and skins

sudo apt-get install mpv smplayer smtube smplayer-themes smplayer-skins youtube-dl

phd21 wrote:I think the AppImage Helper Launcher application is programmed in QT and the code that controls the moving or copying and or retaining the original AppImage file looks like it is in the file "/src/shared/shared.cpp" which means the application would have to be recompiled after making changes for those changes to work.
MrGrimm wrote:"the one guy made it sound like it's pretty easy to edit the code.
It is easy to change their user configuration file if you want to change the default location of where AppImages are copied or moved to, or to add more than one folder. Changing the application to not remove the original AppImage is not so easy by users from what I gathered.

To change the location of the AppImage Helper Launcher application using the gedit text editor

gedit ~/.config/appimagelauncher.cfg

Original configuration

[AppImageLauncher]
# destination = ~/Applications

to a custom configuration copying the AppImage to 2 different locations. The location paths are separated by a space, remove the "#" in the front of the line to activate this feature, save the text file.
[AppImageLauncher]
destination = /home/YourUsername/CombinedPartitions/MrGrimm /home/YourUserName/Documents/MintBackups

Personally, I would leave the original default folder and just add another for whatever backup purpose you want.
[AppImageLauncher]
destination = ~/Applications ~/Downloads/AppImage_Backups

You could even use other mounted partitions on local or external drives.
[AppImageLauncher]
destination = ~/Applications /mnt/ssd480/Downloads/AppImage_Backups

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

MrGrimm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MrGrimm » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:24 pm

actually for notes i have two. notpadqq for creating notes and if i'm opening multiple notes aka a session i use kate. kate does better at remembering the actual created sessions.

from windows if i do a fresh install i check to see if there is a newer version available before installing anything. in windows having the installers is a must, linux more of a placeholder / reminder of what i want installed. i know from experience even ppa's get outdated cause someone has changed the location, or decided that they want to use a different install method. ran across that a few times already.

qqmp i tried even though it's not supported and went back to audacious.

smplayer for linux or windows can't be beat in my book. i'll def be copying your instructions for smplayer.

after some consideration i think i'd be better off with "appimageD" cause from the sounds of it it leaves my file where it is, does everything "appimage launcher" does, plus makes the newly installed appimage updateable.

thought this is true.

"Personally, I would leave the original default folder and just add another for whatever backup purpose you want.
[AppImageLauncher]
destination = ~/Applications ~/Downloads/AppImage_Backup
s"

cause just like everything i download i can send a second copy to my torrents folder and refile it from there. nice point.

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Post by phd21 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi MrGrimm,

You are welcome...

Kate is a great text editor, but it is not as good as CherryTree for taking notes. CherryTree can also be encrypted, can export and import into various formats, you can copy and paste entire web pages or portions of them including Mint forum web pages, create links to folders and files on your system, etc...

Although I prefer Audacious (qt) over "Qmmp" Qmmp has some features that Audacious does not have including a very good list of streaming stations. Audacious also did better with WinAMP skins than the older Qmmp; I'll have to test the WinAMP skins with the newer Qmmp. StreamTuner2 is still the best for streaming stations...

"SMplayer" is a great multimedia player. Change its Options-> Preferences-> Multimedia Engine to use MPV.

Hope this helps ...
CherryTree1.jpg
CherryTree2_copy.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrGrimm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MrGrimm » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:55 pm

o.k. i'll def checkout cherry tree since a lot of times when i go looking for a tut and find what i want i do save everything from the page for future use locally. now what's this mpv?

EDIT:

https://www.smplayer.info/en/mpv

side note filebot doesn't always like to play nice so i found that to replace it. the mpv drops the sound through the floor.

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Post by phd21 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:30 pm

Hi MrGrimm,

I updated my last reply.

I just checked my smplayer with mpv and its working very well. There are various options and sound audio options. It also has its own volume control.

I already added the apps you mentioned and will try them out.

MrGrimm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MrGrimm » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:43 pm

that list was just to give you an idea of how i organize thing, but if some of them work out for you great. now about the copy and paste with cherry tree?

https://vimeo.com/311454520

robertjsullivan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robertjsullivan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:43 pm

I never heard of DuckieTV but it looks interesting, so I will check that out. Thanks.
I have been using this link for tracking TV shows
TV Calendar January 2019 - Prime Time TV Schedule & TV Episode Calendar: Track your favourite TV shows.

Return to “Software & Applications”