Two audio outputs at the same time?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Paul001
Level 1
Level 1

Two audio outputs at the same time?

Post by Paul001 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:36 pm

Hello guys,
i have a simple question.
Is it possible to configure two audio outputs?
I wanna listen to music on my external audio device and talk to someone via Skype on my headset.
Skype is configured right.. But the sound is on the external audio device.

Thanks in advanced!

Regards

MrEen
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Two audio outputs at the same time?

Post by MrEen » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:00 pm

Hi Paul001, and welcome to the forum.

If your headset and ext audio device are using separate sound cards, then yes, this is easy to set up. Install and run PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) and on the Playback tab, each sound source can be sent to separate devices. It'll make sense I'm pretty sure once you see it.

For example, I just tested by turning on my Bluetooth headphones and starting a video on my hard drive. I sent the Media Player output to the BT headphones by clicking on the box that had Built-in Audio Analog Stereo and selecting them. Then I started a YouTube video in Firefox, and that started on the Built-in card automatically.

If your ext audio device is using the Line Out port and your headphones are using the Headphone port all on the same audio card, what you want wouldn't be possible I'm pretty sure. The closest you could get is having everything output to all ports by installing paprefs and going to the Simultaneous Output tab. I doubt this would be of much use in this case

Hope that helps.

Paul001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Paul001 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:37 pm

Oh well, pavucontrol did it. I don't even have to run it.
Thank you!

MrEen
Level 11
Level 11

Post by MrEen » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:32 pm

That's great, Paul001! Glad I could help! :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”