Integrity check after LM 18.3 installation

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
darkwolf
Level 2
Level 2

Integrity check after LM 18.3 installation

Post by darkwolf » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:38 pm

Hello guys. I have installed LM 18.3 Cinnamon on my pc some times ago, but i haven't done the integrity check when i did live boot from usb, lately i have read some worryfying article regarding to linux isos where it was stated that even if the checksum was correct the iso could still be modified inside, so you should always do the integrity check, so do i have to do it after installation? and if yes, how can i do that? is there any way to do it? i mean, everything works fine and i haven't noticed any weird behavior until now but i'm just worried.

pbear
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Integrity check after LM 18.3 installation

Post by pbear » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:52 pm

Please link to the article you read. Either you misunderstood or it's wrong. That is, verification is important, but doesn't work as described. Indeed, the file of which you verify the signature is the one giving you a checksum, rather than the ISO directly. As for verifying post-installation, the most you can do is verify the ISO you used, assuming you still have it. Same steps as described on the website and in the Installation Guide.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Running Mate 18.3 64 bit (by upgrade from 18.1-2)

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Integrity check after LM 18.3 installation

Post by JoeFootball » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:02 pm

darkwolf wrote:... even if the checksum was correct the iso could still be modified inside ...
Not to dissuade you from your integrity, but that would require the checksum file to be compromised as well as the ISO. Technically possible, but unlikely.

Regardless, that's what the authentication of checksum file is, in conjunction with the verification of the ISO. Read here for more information.

As to a post installation check, I doubt that's possible especially if it was some time ago since you did the install.

Joe

Return to “Newbie Questions”