[SOLVED] Feature Request: In taskbar, enable switching between running app windows via mouse wheel scroll

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Wolf359
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Feature Request: In taskbar, enable switching between running app windows via mouse wheel scroll

Post by Wolf359 »

My feature request is as follows :

Scrolling the mouse wheel over the icon of a running program should restore that windows (if it's in the background, otherwise do nothing).

Modern Desktop Layout

In modern desktop layout, icons in the taskbar are grouped into one icon.
Hovering over a (grouped) icon of a running program shows preview(s) of the running window.

While hovering over the icon, scrolling the mouse wheel should actually restore one of the windows of the program. Scrolling again should restore the next window of that program a.s.o.

Example

Let's say there are currently 3 windows of Nemo file explorer open :

Location of Window 1: /usr
Location of Window 2: /home
Location of Window 3: /var

Let's open a maximized Firefox browser window so that all 3 Nemo windows are in the background or minimized.

The taskbar would show a grouped icon of Nemo with a "3" as a badge.

- Hovering over the Nemo icon and scrolling one time via mouse wheel would restore Window #1 (/usr).
- Scrolling again would restore Window #2 (/home)
- Scrolling again would restore Window #3 (/var)
- Scrolling again would restore Window #1 again
- Scrolling back would restore the previous window (Window #3 in this case)
- if a window is on another desktop, switching through scrolling would also switch to that desktop

Why?

- Because It is super convenient.
- Also, it would eliminate the steady waiting for the preview to appear, choosing the right preview, moving the mouse over it and clicking it.
- It would eliminate millions of mouse clicks! In a study, scientists found out that hearing mouse clicks does actually increase stress levels !! (so I've heard)

I use Docky, which has this feature. Once one gets used to it, it's hard to live without it!
Last edited by Wolf359 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Feature Request: In taskbar, enable switching between running app windows via mouse wheel scroll

Post by smurphos »

The feature is already implemented. Right click on grouped-window-list > Preferences > Configure > General > set Mouse wheel scroll action to Cycle windows.

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Wolf359
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Feature Request: In taskbar, enable switching between running app windows via mouse wheel scroll

Post by Wolf359 »

I only looked in panel settings. :oops:

Works like a charm.

Thanks!
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Re: [SOLVED] Feature Request: In taskbar, enable switching between running app windows via mouse wheel scroll

Post by smurphos »

No worries - you can also access individual applet configuration GUIs via the Applets settings module (in the menu) as-well as via the right click method outlined.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”