[Solved] how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
reptilezone2002
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:27 am

[Solved] how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by reptilezone2002 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:28 pm

hi
i have redirector.gvt1.com virus. fortunately my pi-hole is blocking it. im using vivaldi browser with only popup blocker for chrome, ublock origin for addones.. how can i remove this virus. clamav tells me that my system is clean. but still im geting this blocked on my pi-hole every time i open my browser

so how can i clean it or remove it?

linuxmint 19.1 64bit
Last edited by reptilezone2002 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
trytip
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4004
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by trytip » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:43 pm

um, delete your history and change your homepage
Image

User avatar
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21
Posts: 13442
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by WharfRat » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:43 pm

According to this site you should be able to open Add-ons and remove it.
ImageImage

reptilezone2002
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:27 am

Re: how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by reptilezone2002 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:49 am

did everything purged & deleted every vivaldi & firefox file i can find ..

now firefox is clear & i reinstall vivaldi.. now i found when ever i searched redirector.gvt1.com appears on the pihole blocked list..
have done a full scan with sophos found no viruses

do i have to format & reinstall mint i have a separate /home partition do i have to format that too

reptilezone2002
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:27 am

Re: how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by reptilezone2002 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:50 am

trytip wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:43 pm
um, delete your history and change your homepage
did everything purged & deleted every vivaldi & firefox file i can find ..

now firefox is clear & i reinstall vivaldi.. now i found when ever i searched redirector.gvt1.com appears on the pihole blocked list..
have done a full scan with sophos found no viruses

do i have to format & reinstall mint i have a separate /home partition do i have to format that too

reptilezone2002
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:27 am

Re: how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by reptilezone2002 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:50 am

WharfRat wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:43 pm
According to this site you should be able to open Add-ons and remove it.
did everything purged & deleted every vivaldi & firefox file i can find ..

now firefox is clear & i reinstall vivaldi.. now i found when ever i searched redirector.gvt1.com appears on the pihole blocked list..
have done a full scan with sophos found no viruses

do i have to format & reinstall mint i have a separate /home partition do i have to format that too

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21
Posts: 13867
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by Pjotr » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:33 am

Did you also delete the user profiles of Firefox and Vivaldi, in your personal folder? Because apt doesn't do that for you.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

User avatar
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21
Posts: 13442
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by WharfRat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:44 am

According to the link I gave you it says
The most likely way that Redirector GVT1.Com Virus ended up in your PC is through some sort of infected executable file you started yourself without realizing what was hiding inside. Please be careful when installing .exe files – if they are obtained from unsafe sources like random mirrors, advertisements, torrents or storage sites these .exe files may be modified to include additional programs inside of them
So I don't understand how it infected a Linux system unless there's a yet unreported Linux variant lurking out there.

Can you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing :?:
ImageImage

reptilezone2002
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:27 am

Re: how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by reptilezone2002 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:53 am

WharfRat wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:44 am
According to the link I gave you it says
The most likely way that Redirector GVT1.Com Virus ended up in your PC is through some sort of infected executable file you started yourself without realizing what was hiding inside. Please be careful when installing .exe files – if they are obtained from unsafe sources like random mirrors, advertisements, torrents or storage sites these .exe files may be modified to include additional programs inside of them
So I don't understand how it infected a Linux system unless there's a yet unreported Linux variant lurking out there.

Can you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing :?:
those are the pihole screenshots. thers no indication of a virus on the browser is behaves normally ah i noticed some thing 192.168.151.1 is my pfsense. it has squidclam installed how can it query for redirector.gvt1.com?
Attachments
Screenshot at 2019-02-17 19-20-47.png
Screenshot at 2019-02-17 19-19-35.png

User avatar
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21
Posts: 13442
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by WharfRat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:21 am

I don't use those applications and I see that pi-hole will take some time to install and setup.

The only thing I can say here is if you removed the .mozilla/ folder that should have cleared all FF local storage.

I'll try looking into pi-hole over the next few days and see what kind of results I get.
ImageImage

reptilezone2002
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:27 am

Re: how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by reptilezone2002 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:01 am

WharfRat wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:21 am
I don't use those applications and I see that pi-hole will take some time to install and setup.

The only thing I can say here is if you removed the .mozilla/ folder that should have cleared all FF local storage.

I'll try looking into pi-hole over the next few days and see what kind of results I get.
tx i removed my squid cache & rebuild it its still there when i open vivaldi.. but nothing when open firefox may b ill do a clean install mint tonight without formatting my /home partition but deleting everything exept for default folders in /home partition

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2307
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA

Re: how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:16 am

OP said,
how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus
who said it is a virus?...DAMIEN

https://www.systemtek.co.uk/2017/08/what-is-gvt1-com/

https://security.stackexchange.com/ques ... a-file-how
ORDO AB CHAO

User avatar
trytip
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4004
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by trytip » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:58 am

to be in the clear i would delete all the browser user folders, if you use pihole i'm sure you know how to find them and also delete everything in the .cache folder. i regularly make a habit of deleting everything in cache anyway it's a good practice
Image

User avatar
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21
Posts: 13442
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by WharfRat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:59 am

reptilezone2002 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:01 am
tx i removed my squid cache & rebuild it its still there when i open vivaldi.. but nothing when open firefox may b ill do a clean install mint tonight without formatting my /home partition but deleting everything exept for default folders in /home partition
I can't phantom this thing penetrating any system files :?
ImageImage

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2307
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA

Re: how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:06 pm

also to be clear...those 2 links i provided in previous post point to gvt1 as belonging to google video...vivaldi is chromium based, hence a google chrome/chromium influence...you report it to not be, or no longer be in firefox which is mozilla based...read the links... as i again say, "who says this is a virus"?...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

reptilezone2002
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:27 am

Re: how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by reptilezone2002 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:47 pm

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:06 pm
also to be clear...those 2 links i provided in previous post point to gvt1 as belonging to google video...vivaldi is chromium based, hence a google chrome/chromium influence...you report it to not be, or no longer be in firefox which is mozilla based...read the links... as i again say, "who says this is a virus"?...DAMIEN
that explains everything coz i just clean installed mint with full format. the minute i open vivaldi the redirector site gets blocked.. so its a legit site..

tx for all for clearing this .. ill mark this as SOLVED

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2307
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA

Re: [Solved] how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:18 pm

hi reptilezone2002...just as a side note here...i really need to tell you to not rely on Windows crutches known as anti-virus scanners...yes, they are needed in Windows and Mac systems because of their structure, but are not needed in Linux home user systems...they decrease your system security.
Linux is built in such a way as they are NOT necessary, recommended, or required unless your system is being used as a mail server to Windows or Mac OSs etc....i am providing 2 links below for you to read and discover for yourself from one of our members here at Linux Mint Forum by name of pjotr, a very knowledgeable contributor here in the forums...the first is his main opening page, the second is specifically about security and virus scanners...i would bookmark in your browser, the first one for future reference, as it has the table of contents for almost anything you could ask for with linux operating systems...i see you are not a newcomer in the forums as your date of joining shows but i, myself, still find it useful from time to time...DAMIEN

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... urity.html
ORDO AB CHAO

reptilezone2002
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:27 am

Re: [Solved] how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by reptilezone2002 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:23 pm

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:18 pm
hi reptilezone2002...just as a side note here...i really need to tell you to not rely on Windows crutches known as anti-virus scanners...yes, they are needed in Windows and Mac systems because of their structure, but are not needed in Linux home user systems...they decrease your system security.
Linux is built in such a way as they are NOT necessary, recommended, or required unless your system is being used as a mail server to Windows or Mac OSs etc....i am providing 2 links below for you to read and discover for yourself from one of our members here at Linux Mint Forum by name of pjotr, a very knowledgeable contributor here in the forums...the first is his main opening page, the second is specifically about security and virus scanners...i would bookmark in your browser, the first one for future reference, as it has the table of contents for almost anything you could ask for with linux operating systems...i see you are not a newcomer in the forums as your date of joining shows but i, myself, still find it useful from time to time...DAMIEN

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... urity.html
ah i know this page i used to do tweeks from this page for my SSD
Tx DAMIEN

reptilezone2002
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:27 am

Re: [Solved] how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by reptilezone2002 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:23 am

So to confirm what redirector.gvt1.com thing is its not a virus. I asked from the vivaldi team what this is. They told me its better to file a bug report with chromium. A search on the cromium bug report site i found this https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... 20Modified

& A post there said

redirector.gvt1.com is a redirection service used by Google for a variety of purposes, including download of updates, etc.

Post Reply

Return to “Other topics”