Choppy Audio Playback on A2DP Bluetooth Devices

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mike50333
Level 1
Level 1

Choppy Audio Playback on A2DP Bluetooth Devices

Post by mike50333 »

Hello. I should preface this that I am a dirty newb coming from a Windows OS background, using Linux Mint as part of a dual boot configuration as I slowly learn the Linux OS; the machine I'm using is an HP nc8430 laptop from the Windows Vista era.

I use this OS exclusively as a platform to play what few lightweight games are compatible with the OS from my Steam library. Ideally, I'd be using a decent pair of wired headphones/IEMs with the laptop, but since I don't have any on hand, I'm using my LG HBS-900s.

These headphones work flawlessly for audio playback on my Android tablet and phone, and I have no issues with Windows 10. However, I'm struggling with Linux. As many have made mention of before, sound quality is abysmal in the HSP/HFP profile but at least it's stable. However, when I select the A2DP Sink Profile, the sound is frustratingly and consistently choppy. I have linked two audio files recorded by my phone of how it sounds coming from my iFox Bluetooth Speaker for reference; know that the sound is identical when using my BT headset under identical settings. Also, this problem persists regardless of the application used (tested with both music player playback and video game sound playback).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eYeNs ... Y7OnTRTvNi

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RUfiK ... jZ_OmT0S33

Simply put, is there any way to remedy this problem? I've looked for solutions between here and Ask Linux, but most people just have problems getting the A2DP profile to activate rather than with playback using the profile.

For those who choose to help me, know that I understand the barebone basics of terminal commands and system document editing, enough to follow without in-depth explanation of basic commands.

Thank you so much in advance for your assistance.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Choppy Audio Playback on A2DP Bluetooth Devices

Post by MrEen »

Hi mike50333, and welcome to the forum.

I assume this will cover bluetooth as well.

In the terminal type xed admin:///etc/pulse/default.pa (this assumes Mint 19.x, use gksudo xed /etc/pulse/default.pa if using Mint <=18.3) and when the file opens find the line that reads:

Code: Select all

load-module module-udev-detect
and change it to:

load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0
Now save the file, then run pulseaudio -k in the terminal and test your sound. You may need to restart whatever you're using to generate sound before it takes effect.
mike50333
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mike50333 »

Committed the changes and ran the pulseaudio -k command. No dice, still choppy.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Sorry Mike. I had hoped it would work as it usually fixes choppy audio for onboard sound. You can revert that change. I'll try to investigate tomorrow to see if I can find something else to try.
Dale_in_GA
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dale_in_GA »

MrEen wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:37 pm
Hi mike50333, and welcome to the forum.

I assume this will cover bluetooth as well.

In the terminal type xed admin:///etc/pulse/default.pa (this assumes Mint 19.x, use gksudo xed /etc/pulse/default.pa if using Mint <=18.3) and when the file opens find the line that reads:

load-module module-udev-detect
and change it to:

load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0
Now save the file, then run pulseaudio -k in the terminal and test your sound. You may need to restart whatever you're using to generate sound before it takes effect.
This worked perfectly! Thanks Mr. Een!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

You're welcome Dale_in_GA. And welcome to the forum! :D
cmiranda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cmiranda »

Hi guys,

I'm having the same issue with a pair of AirPods 2. Actually, I only see that happening at the beginning of an audio stream, and if I open the bluetooth manager (maybe the scan action interferes with them).
I followed MrEen's solution but couldn't see any change.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Return to “Sound”