Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jonndoe47
Level 1
Level 1

Differentiating between Xed & Gedit

Post by jonndoe47 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:10 am

I installed Gedit, mainly because it has sort, line numbers etc etc.

Problem Nemo. Text files open with just says 'Text Editor' both for Xed & Gedit. Same for Menu -> Accessories both Xed & Gedit show up as text editors.

Just found a fix. /edit the /usr/share/application/xed.desktop and /usr/share/application/gedit.desktop files and change the name.

gm10
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Differentiating between Xed & Gedit

Post by gm10 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:31 am

jonndoe47 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:10 am
I installed Gedit, mainly because it has sort, line numbers etc etc.
I'm no fan of xed but it has those features as well. It's a fork of pluma which is a fork of gedit after all. ;)

As to your solution: Changing it there will get overwritten when the application updates. Easier to change in the menu itself. At least in MATE you can just right click a menu entries and select to edit its properties. Otherwise if you right click the menu you should get access to a menu editor in all desktop environments.

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Differentiating between Xed & Gedit

Post by Flemur » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:13 am

jonndoe47 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:10 am
Problem Nemo. Text files open with just says 'Text Editor' both for Xed & Gedit. Same for Menu -> Accessories both Xed & Gedit show up as text editors.
Just found a fix. /edit the /usr/share/application/xed.desktop and /usr/share/application/gedit.desktop files and change the name.
Good idea; that dumb naming convention applies to a lot of file types, not just text. Once upon a time I had a script that would set the "Name" field to "Name" concatenated with the "Exec" statement.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox/pulse-less
Lubuntu LXDE/fluxbox/pulse-less

Return to “Software & Applications”