USB recognition (solved)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hondo
Level 1
Level 1

USB recognition (solved)

Post by hondo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:04 pm

have mint 19.1. inserted a new 64 GB PNY usb and system does not recognize it. ran lsusb and not there. does recognize my sandisk usb. Maybe it is a special dvr for the PNY? I want to install kali on the thumb drive.
Last edited by hondo on Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: USB recognition

Post by Lord Boltar » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:02 pm

On your new PNY USb is it 3.0 or 2.0 and does your machine do 3.0?

USB 3.0 Connectors are different from USB 2.0 Connectors and the 3.0 connectors are usually colored blue on the inside in order to distinguish them from the 2.0 connectors
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:24 pm

There are also USB "2.5" chips that are incomplete USB 3 chips. There are several posts about them. Look for error messages in the system log to see if the OS starts to recognise the drive then fails. If there is no message in syslog, it is a hardware failure. A message in syslog indicates the wiring is working and the USB interface chip may be faulty.

hondo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hondo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:59 pm

The USB is 3.0 and my slots are blue on the inside.

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:37 pm

Are your USB slots side by side if so does changing it to the other slot do anything - also does your PNY have an all metal case if so are the two holes that are on every USB are they on the top or bottom Because I have seen the all metal PNY USB sticks with the 2 holes on the bottom, I have to remove the outer metal case and turn it over to make it work.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

hondo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hondo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:58 pm

My USB has the square holes on both the top and bottom of the metal jacket. I have tried it in all my USB slots. I do have a USB XHCI controller so it will interface with USB 1, 2 or 3.

hondo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hondo » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:37 pm

Returned the PNY USB and got a sandisk 2.0/3.0 USB, red colored, plugged in and it was detected right away.

Return to “Newbie Questions”