Solution: Installation hangs/freezes/stuck "Preparing to install Linux Mint" third-party software screen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Dho
Level 1
Level 1

Solution: Installation hangs/freezes/stuck "Preparing to install Linux Mint" third-party software screen

Post by Dho »

My install of 19.1 was hanging at this screen. I got past this after disconnecting my secondary hard drive with a gpt NTFS partition. Thought I would share since I spent hours troubleshooting and googling with no luck.

Keywords:
Install third-party software
Preparing to install Linux Mint
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Solution: Installation hangs/freezes/stuck "Preparing to install Linux Mint" third-party software screen

Post by deepakdeshp »

Is your secondary drive bad?
Have you successfully installed Mint?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
Dho
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Solution: Installation hangs/freezes/stuck "Preparing to install Linux Mint" third-party software screen

Post by Dho »

Yes, successful install.

Drive works from a fresh install of both win 10 and Linux mint 19.1. not sure by the installer got hung up on this drive being connected.I let it sit overnight so it had over eight hours being hung at that screen.
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Do you want to use 2nd drive and are you not able to use it?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

Dho
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dho »

2nd drive works just fine now. Theonly reason I made this post is because having the second drive connected at the time of installation resulted in the installer hanging so I wanted to share I experienced in case other people run into the same problem.
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Dho wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:08 am
2nd drive works just fine now. Theonly reason I made this post is because having the second drive connected at the time of installation resulted in the installer hanging so I wanted to share I experienced in case other people run into the same problem.
I don't think anybody else faces this.
Regards,
Deepak

Vrai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vrai »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:50 pm
Dho wrote:
I may be facing this very same issue.
Been trying to install Linux Mint 19.1 on my computer which has Linux Mint 18.3 on one hard drive and Windows on a second hard drive.
The installer hangs on the partitioning screen or the Install Third Party Software screen.
Tried unchecking third party software - still no joy :(
Mouse clicks and keyboard become inoperative. It just sits there and will not go any further.

I am going to try disconnecting the second hard drive with Windows installation and see if that works. Wish me luck! :)
I have installed Linux Mint many, many times but have never run across this issue before.
Thanks for the 'heads up' Dho.
Miseris Succurrere Disco
Linux User # 440357 - Ubuntu User # 11205
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Vrai wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:22 pm
deepakdeshp wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:50 pm
Dho wrote:
I may be facing this very same issue.
Been trying to install Linux Mint 19.1 on my computer which has Linux Mint 18.3 on one hard drive and Windows on a second hard drive.
The installer hangs on the partitioning screen or the Install Third Party Software screen.
Tried unchecking third party software - still no joy :(
Mouse clicks and keyboard become inoperative. It just sits there and will not go any further.

I am going to try disconnecting the second hard drive with Windows installation and see if that works. Wish me luck! :)
I have installed Linux Mint many, many times but have never run across this issue before.
Thanks for the 'heads up' Dho.
I dont have a 2nd HDD so cant test it. But it may be a bug and needs to be reported to the developers if many are facing this problem
Regards,
Deepak

Dho
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dho »

Probably yes. The 2nd drive with the NTFS partition was working fine with an older dual boot install and worked with no issue when I plugged it back in after completing the current Mint OS install .

The only reason I reinstalled was to replace my prior primary HDD with a SSD.
mscroggi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mscroggi »

I don't know if this will help but I thought I would share something that affects me.

On my computer, I can not get through the install process for the Cinnamon version.. It would hang at different times.. I would have to reset to get things back to try again.. A couple of times, the install seemed to finish.. but after the post install reboot, it would hang trying to finish up.. I could never figure out what the deal was.. I had the same issue with past versions too. I finally figured out, I could install the mate version - which installs without a hitch, and then add the cinnamon desktop. Once I get cinnamon installed and configured.. its great.. rock solid.. no hangups or anything .. I know there isnt a whole lot of info that could be of use in the above.. but at least the info about installing mate first and adding cinnamon could help someone.
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

please post the output of command: sudo parted -l

This way, maybe someone can see an issue with the particular hardware or something. And if there's a bug it can be dealt with.

might as well post this info too: inxi -Fxxxz
bozzchem
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bozzchem »

I am attempting to install 19.1 Cinnamon on an HP laptop that I previously had version 18 Cinnamon on.
I bought this laptop specifically to test Linux vs Windows to see if I can make the switch on my other computers so it's somewhat of a toy.
I made a bootable Gparted USB and wiped the drive.
I then made a bootable USB of the Cinnamon 19.1 and attempted to install.
It will not get past this third party software screen during the install.
I had no issues whatsoever installing the last version of Linux Mint. I don't know how to get past this.
Any help would be appreciated.
I now wish I just would have left it alone since version 18 was running rock solid.

The above is no longer an issue. I made a bootable USB this time with Pendrive USB installer and it's actually working. Rufus and Etcher wouldn't work for me.
Last edited by bozzchem on Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry78723
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Larry78723 »

bozzchem, please start a thread of your own since your situation may be different than the OP's. After describing your problem in detail, please post an inxi -Fxz report. This will give us a concise overview of your hardware and on how Mint sees it.

Here is how to generate the report and post it:

Open a terminal window. Make it fullscreen to avoid unneeded linebreaks or chopped lines. Execute the command

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxzd 
exactly as it has been typed here.

Mark the complete text output which the command will display with your mouse.
Press the keyboard shortcut <Shift><Ctrl>C to copy the marked text into the clipboard.
Enclose the results between the code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply then paste <Ctrl>V them in your reply between the code markers.

The results will help us to help you.

Larry
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

As a general thing, sometimes the installation will hang here due to internet connectivity, so an easy solution is not checking the 3rd party option, but then instead installing that once the hard disk installation is done. Use the Welcome screen option to install the extras, software manager or terminal the package name is 'mint-meta-codecs' and you can use the driver manager for drivers.
bozzchem
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bozzchem »

Larry78723 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:49 am
bozzchem, please start a thread of your own since your situation may be different than the OP's. After describing your problem in detail, please post an inxi -Fxz report. This will give us a concise overview of your hardware and on how Mint sees it.

Here is how to generate the report and post it:

Open a terminal window. Make it fullscreen to avoid unneeded linebreaks or chopped lines. Execute the command

inxi -Fxzd 
exactly as it has been typed here.

Mark the complete text output which the command will display with your mouse.
Press the keyboard shortcut <Shift><Ctrl>C to copy the marked text into the clipboard.
Enclose the results between the code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply then paste <Ctrl>V them in your reply between the code markers.

The results will help us to help you.

Larry
I got the install to continue by using a different means for generating a bootable USB.

If I have further issues, I'll be sure to start a new thread.

Thanks!!!
mscroggi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mscroggi »

zcot wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:37 am
please post the output of command: sudo parted -l

This way, maybe someone can see an issue with the particular hardware or something. And if there's a bug it can be dealt with.

might as well post this info too: inxi -Fxxxz
Here is the parted -l output:

Model: ATA OCZ-AGILITY3 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 60.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  60.0GB  60.0GB  primary  ext4         boot

Model: ATA WDC WD40EZRZ-00W (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 4001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name  Flags
 1      10.5MB  3969GB  3969GB  ext4
 2      3969GB  4001GB  32.1GB  linux-swap(v1)  swap

Model: ATA Corsair Force GT (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 90.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  90.0GB  90.0GB  primary  ext4

Here is the inxi output:

System:    Host: groucho Kernel: 4.15.0-54-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.10 
           Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte Tecohnology model: X79-UD3 serial: <filter> BIOS: American Megatrends v: F7 
           date: 12/26/2011 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-3820 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Sandy Bridge rev: 7 L2 cache: 10.0 MiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 57595 
           Speed: 1200 MHz min/max: 1200/3800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1200 2: 1199 3: 1202 4: 1196 5: 1200 6: 1200 7: 1200 
           8: 1200 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GF116 [GeForce GTX 550 Ti] vendor: ZOTAC driver: nvidia v: 390.116 bus ID: 02:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nvidia resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 550 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.116 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel C600/X79 series High Definition Audio vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:1b.0 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GF116 High Definition Audio vendor: ZOTAC driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.1 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-54-generic 
Network:   Device-1: Intel 82579V Gigabit Network vendor: Gigabyte driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f040 bus ID: 00:19.0 
           IF: eno1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 3.78 TiB used: 1.99 TiB (52.7%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: OCZ model: AGILITY3 size: 55.90 GiB temp: 30 C 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Western Digital model: WD40EZRZ-00WN9B0 size: 3.64 TiB temp: 40 C 
           ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Corsair model: Force GT size: 83.85 GiB temp: 37 C 
           Optical-1: /dev/sr0 vendor: ASUS model: DRW-24B1ST c rev: 1.05 dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw 
           Features: speed: 48 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running 
           Optical-2: /dev/sr1 vendor: HL-DT-ST model: BD-RE BH16NS40 rev: 1.00 dev-links: N/A 
           Features: speed: 48 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 54.77 GiB used: 20.87 GiB (38.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 53 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 30% 
Info:      Processes: 289 Uptime: 2d 19h 01m Memory: 15.62 GiB used: 5.01 GiB (32.1%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: 
           gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: zsh v: 5.4.2 inxi: 3.0.2

It was mentioned that someone had success creating an install USB.. I did not thinnk to try that.. My install was using the DVD image.
I also had tried the install in compatibility mode, but it failed that way too. Once I got the OS installed with Mate and added Cinnamon, everything has been top knotch.. It appears to only be an issue with the Cinnamon install package.
Last edited by karlchen on Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added [code] tags
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

But there are a ton of users including me for whom cinnamon install worked very well. I am using the Cinnamon installed system for 4 years now without a hitch.
Regards,
Deepak

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

I have experienced the same thing. My solution was to disable the third party software option during the install. Just as Zcot already mentioned before.

This seems to be a bug which has been reocurring for quite a while now in Ubuntu. Many people have complained about it. But the solution is simple:

disable the third party software option

and if that doesnt work:

disconnect from the internet during the initial install.

This method has been succesful for users with similar problems.

Reboot after the first clean install WITHOUT third party and/or internet connection.
Afterwards you can still successfully install all the extra updates and the multi media codecs.
mscroggi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mscroggi »

Another workaround that worked for me is to install using the mate version.. You can do all the third party stuff as you would in the install.. then afterwards, install the cinnamon desktop environment, and switch to it..

Hope this helps

Return to “Installation & Boot”