[SOLVED] Linux Mint 19.1 on Ryzen 7 3700U APU uses only software rendering or amdgpu-pro driver crashes Cinnamon

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Hans D
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Linux Mint 19.1 on Ryzen 7 3700U APU uses only software rendering or amdgpu-pro driver crashes Cinnamon

Post by Hans D » Sun May 05, 2019 3:24 am

Hi,

i installed a Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon on a new "HP Laptop 15-db1204ng". Secure boot was disabled for the os and driver installation. After the installation it only uses software rendering mode. The display is not that bright, probably half brightness and the colors are completely flat, gamma missing.

To fix that i tried to install the amdgpu-pro drivers "amdgpu-pro-18.50-756341-ubuntu-18.04.tar.xz" or "amdgpu-pro-19.10-785425-ubuntu-18.04.tar.xz" from AMD. If I modify /etc/os-release lines 3 and 6 to identify as ubuntu 18.04 both installations run through completely. I'm not installing both driver versions at the same time. I've tried both driver version, each on a fresh Linux Mint 19.1 installation.

But every time the system boots, the screen flashes a distorted white pattern, then goes to black for a second and then loads the login screen. After login there is a message that Cinnamon just crashed and if I want to try and start it again. If I try to restart it, it crashes again. The display is at full brightness and the colors look ok. The amdgpu driver seems to be loaded, but i don't think i have hardware acceleration, glxgears won't run. Cinnamon crashes and I can't control the display brightness with the keyboard buttons.

Here is the hardware:
https://termbin.com/x1mn

Here is the .xsession-errors log:
https://termbin.com/xnvl

Here are different other outputs:
https://termbin.com/244x

I think .xsession-errors log hints to the fault at:

Code: Select all

amdgpu_device_initialize: amdgpu_get_auth (1) failed (-1)

Another thing is the display refresh rate of 77Hz, I don't think thats right, but i can't find infos about what the display limits actually are.

hans@ryzen:~$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] driver: N/A 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: ati,fbdev unloaded: modesetting,radeon,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~77Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: N/A v: N/A 
But I can't find a solution. Any suggestions what to do next?
Last edited by Hans D on Sat May 11, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux Mint 19.1 on Ryzen 7 3700U APU uses only software rendering or amdgpu-pro driver crashes Cinnamon

Post by Hoser Rob » Sun May 05, 2019 10:03 am

Lookiing at this ...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... ware-Files

... and this ...

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2412254

... it looks like you'll need a 4.20 series kernel. I don't run 19.1 so I don't know if the 4.20 release is supported by Mint. SO go into update manager > view > kernels. If there's a 4.20 kernel install the newest 4.20 series one.

Hans D
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 19.1 on Ryzen 7 3700U APU uses only software rendering or amdgpu-pro driver crashes Cinnamon

Post by Hans D » Mon May 06, 2019 3:07 pm

Thanks for the conformation, after posting this yesterday I've also read somewhere Vega Mobile Gfx requires at least a series 4.19 kernel. But Linux Mint 19.1 officially only implemented a 4.18 kernel. I spent the last two days trying out different 4.19 and 4.20 kernels, none of them worked out!
Yesterday late at night I got annoyed and just went with the latest one: 5.0.13

And that one worked a treat. But of course 5.1 was released today and i had to try it out and it also works! But looking at graphics performance 5.0.13 is faster and the fan is a lot quieter but i didn't look at the temps yet!

What I did was:

- Disable secure boot in BIOS
- Install Linux Mint 19.1 with Cinnamon without third parties software and no internet connection
- After installation

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

- Install the Ubuntu Kernel Upgrade Utility ukuu:

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ukuu
- Install Linux Kernel 5.0.13:

ukuu --list
sudo ukuu --install v5.0.13
- Reboot and check kernel

uname -r
- Install latest amdgpu drivers from oibaf ppa:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
- Reboot and check graphics performance with

vblank_mode=0 glxgears
- Enabel secure boot in BIOS

In software rendering mode glxgears ran at 1400fps
Messing about with different versions of Linux Mint 18.3 and 19.1, different 4.19 and 4.20 kernels and amdgpu-pro drivers with constantly crashing Cinnamon, best i got running glxgears was 4000fps
Linux Mint 19.1 with kernel 5.0.13 and oibaf amdgpu drivers: glxgears runs at over 8500fps

I'm happy with the performance, my old laptop with an i7-3632QM and AMD Radeon HD 7730M runs glxgears at about 7500fps

But I've also read, one should expect daily random freezes with Cinnamon running on a series 5 kernel. For now, i consider this topic solved. Thanks!
Last edited by Hans D on Sat May 11, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Mon May 06, 2019 3:33 pm

Good that you resolved the issue and thanks for listing the solution here.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

benznt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benznt » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:11 am

Hans D wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:07 pm
Thanks for the conformation, after posting this yesterday I've also read somewhere Vega Mobile Gfx requires at least a series 4.19 kernel. But Linux Mint 19.1 officially only implemented a 4.18 kernel. I spent the last two days trying out different 4.19 and 4.20 kernels, none of them worked out!
Yesterday late at night I got annoyed and just went with the latest one: 5.0.13

And that one worked a treat. But of course 5.1 was released today and i had to try it out and it also works! But looking at graphics performance 5.0.13 is faster and the fan is a lot quieter but i didn't look at the temps yet!

What I did was:

- Disable secure boot in BIOS
- Install Linux Mint 19.1 with Cinnamon without third parties software and no internet connection
- After installation

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

- Install the Ubuntu Kernel Upgrade Utility ukuu:

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ukuu
- Install Linux Kernel 5.0.13:

ukuu --list
sudo ukuu --install v5.0.13
- Reboot and check kernel

uname -r
- Install latest amdgpu drivers from oibaf ppa:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
- Reboot and check graphics performance with

vblank_mode=0 glxgears
- Enabel secure boot in BIOS

In software rendering mode glxgears ran at 1400fps
Messing about with different versions of Linux Mint 18.3 and 19.1, different 4.19 and 4.20 kernels and amdgpu-pro drivers with constantly crashing Cinnamon, best i got running glxgears was 4000fps
Linux Mint 19.1 with kernel 5.0.13 and oibaf amdgpu drivers: glxgears runs at over 8500fps

I'm happy with the performance, my old laptop with an i7-3632QM and AMD Radeon HD 7730M runs glxgears at about 7500fps

But I've also read, one should expect daily random freezes with Cinnamon running on a series 5 kernel. For now, i consider this topic solved. Thanks!
Thank you so much. It works for me!

Return to “Hardware Support”