Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Qurcus
Level 2
Level 2

ISO verification not working

Post by Qurcus »

I haven't downloaded a new version of Linux Mint for a while but I decided to try Linux Mint 19 "xfce". I'm unable to verify the Image. I've never been able to verify your image's with your directions. I've always had to look up how verify Linux Mint from other peoples directions but can't find them on the internet right now. Even though i followed (copy and paste) the directions to a tee, I keep getting a message from the terminal "no such file or directory". The GTK hash works to verify integrity but not your instructions for authenticity. I think more people would get Linux Mint if the verification worked.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Re: ISO verification not working

Post by slipstick »

I never can remember how to do that, so I have a script file that does the verification and authentication automatically. This post lists the script (for LM 18.3) and how to use it:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=283174#p1566758

and several posts down in that same thread is the same script modified for use with LM 19.1.

Note - that script only works if you use it in Linux. If you are trying to verify and authenticate from Windows, use this:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=291093#p1614473
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

Hey Qurcus, if you're doing this in Linux, take a look at the Installation Guide. Same instructions as the website, just formatted differently, which sometimes helps. And, well, no, you're not following the directions to a "tee" or you would be done already. The question is, which step are you getting wrong. Hard for us to tell, as we're not there.

ETA: Thinking it over, this might help us figure out where you're going sideways. Open Terminal and run the following command: ls /ISO, which will list the contents of the ISO sub-directory. Copy the output, including the command line (Ctrl-Shift-C in Terminal) then paste here (regular Ctrl-v).
Last edited by pbear on Thu May 09, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Directions for all Mint versions here:

https://linuxmint.com/verify.php

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Qurcus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Qurcus »

Yeah, I'm not very good at Linux even though I've had your Distro's since Linux Mint 18 came out. I'm doing something wrong because i know I've verified them in the past. You guys have the best distro's out there. I've tried all kinds and always end up coming back to Mint. I just bought a HP Slim (the small one) Core i3 with 630 graphics (no card) and thought that XFCE would run games better. I just put in a gtx1030, in MATE 19, and was shocked that it was so easy. I'm running CSGO at medium settings without any lag at all. I have a Windows gaming computer with a gtx1060 i5 8th generation that spins the fan up pretty high when i play it. Granted I play it on high settings with that computer but the Linux machine is so much quieter with less powerful hardware and the game graphics look the same visually to me as the gaming one. You guys are doing a wonderful service to world with your distro's. I going to donating some more money for the work you guys do because i love these distributions so much. :)
Qurcus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Qurcus »

Well, I'm trying to donate, but i don't have a PayPal, I only have a credit card. It shows credit cards but i can't click on them to donate.

Edit: I'm giving away my age. I figured out the PayPal thing. I always wondered why i couldn't find those cards in the stores.
Qurcus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Qurcus »

You Guy's ever think about doing a Youtube channel ? Other people are making money showing Linux distros (and your stuff), you would make some money for Mint as well, and boost your donations.
Hendrick
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hendrick »

Hi there,

After downloading the ISO file, you might want to use the program K3b to create an installation DVD.
This program is also fit to verify the ISO file before burning starts. Is this perhaps what you are looking
for?

Hendrick / Amsterdam
Mint 19.3 Xfce - Win10 Pro

Return to “Installation & Boot”