gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Get involved, create or participate in a project.
gm10
Level 18
Level 18

gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Post by gm10 » Sun May 12, 2019 5:08 pm

Backstory - why this PPA?:
As some of you will know, for 9 months I had been contributing to Linux Mint directly, at the end as a member of Linux Mint development team. A number of the changes to LM 19.1's tools (and other parts of the system including the installer) were mine and nearly all of the changes to the tools in LM 19.2 other than the x-apps will be mine.

At the time I left I had - as per GitHub's count - 409 contributions to the Linux Mint project. However, without as much as a thanks Clem kicked me off the team a month ago for lack of team spirit because in a forum post I had clarified that I wasn't getting a share of the donations (I did not like people thinking that I did). Following that I stopped all upstream contribution activity and will not take it up ever again, but what I did was create a PPA a few weeks ago.

PPA:
The PPA contains my personal versions of some of the tools, i.e. these are the versions how I am using them (it's not all tools that I modified because I do not want to maintain some of them in that PPA). My versions contain all the changes to them that will be in LM 19.2 but because I am freed from the restrictions of official Linux Mint development they have a ton of additional features and changes and should have less bugs.

Enough talking, here's the link, please read the description there for further info, but also see below:
https://launchpad.net/~gm10/+archive/ub ... mint-tools

Currently the PPA supports any version of LM 19.x. LM 18.x is not supported.

Features/Changes/Fixes:
Literally too many to list. Check the changelogs, and even those aren't always complete. In several cases the official code was completely rewritten. I actually had started writing down some highlights of only changes that will not be in LM 19.2 but noticed that it quickly reached a screen length so I erased it all again, this post is too long already. So have fun exploring the changes on your own instead. I'll just say that the most changes are in mintupdate (one major feature to mention here is full mainline kernel support), mintsystem (apt), mintsources and mintmenu, probably in that order.

Warning for users of automated updates:
Speaking of automated updates, those are configured via the GUI in my version and do not use cron anymore, so if you are currently using automated updates and did customize your cron job consider making a backup of it in case you want to go back to the official version of mintupdate. If your cron job is in the location where the official version creates it then updating to my version will remove it automatically. And if it's in a different location you may want to remove it yourself or at least verify that it still works.

Feedback, bug reports and feature requests:
Post it all below I suppose. I would appreciate feedback if you're using it all all by the way just so I know if anybody is or whether I should close the thing down again.
Last edited by gm10 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

ajgringo619
Level 6
Level 6

Re: gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Post by ajgringo619 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:34 pm

Thanks for continuing to support Mint, gm10; your posts/replies are always ones I pay strict attention to. I was wondering why the color of your username had changed.
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
kernel 5.0.0-25-generic
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 960 w/2GB RAM (430.40)

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:38 pm

Hey gm10,
Mint continues to lose important contributors over petty disagreements. Sad though.
Thank you for your contributions, especially to the Update Manager.
Hope you will still hang out with us.

trytip
Level 10
Level 10

Post by trytip » Mon May 13, 2019 9:39 am

dude, that's rough. i haven't been active in a bit, i bought some new hardware and for the life of me could not make bootable drives since i have no clue about UEFI and motherboard options, but did finally manage.
sad thing is Cinnamon desktop is just too weak for a Ryzen 3 and Mint is lacking in new hardware support. scaling is way off, and i get a lot of crashes and freezes. Arch Deepin was a much stronger candidate, but Deepin would not let me edit root text files so i tried Mint 19.1

i don't see myself staying with mint unless i only use my old computer from 2007 which i haven't used since i started working on this one.

thanx for the kernel removal tool, i used it quite a lot in this new attempt to install the best kernel for Ryzen 3 with Vega 8 Graphics. i noticed the same kind of bickery at the Antergos forums where community developers are thrown under the bus by mainstream developers.

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Tue May 14, 2019 6:04 am

However, without as much as a thanks Clem kicked me off the team a month ago for lack of team spirit because in a forum post I had clarified that I wasn't getting a share of the donations (I did not like people thinking that I did).
And it's' true you hadn't, and you still haven't, and you will (and as I explained in PM you would have also without joining the team). The reason I asked you to leave had to do with team spirit indeed. It had nothing to do with the quality of your changes and it was a tough decision because the changes you were making were interesting and were making their way into 19.2 (and they still are, I've a backlog on this, and they still will I hope). I feel extremely thankful that you came along and of all the changes we got in, not only for 19.2 but also for 19.1.

Regarding how things went and how people imagine it got heated within the team. I'm reading things like "bickery" and "petty disagreements"... I remember us getting mixed up and arguing over how to rebase PRs on git and then agreeing not to ever talk about it again :) I think it's the only time we argued with each other. And anyway, even if we did.. say we disliked each other's company, would it be anyone's business why things don't click? I don't think so. It's my role to invite new people when I think we can enjoy working together and it's also my role to ask people to leave when I don't think it will work in the long run. When someone leaves a team, it doesn't make that team a bad team. When someone is asked to leave, it doesn't make that person a bad developer or a bad person. I find it very childish to think like that. In the case of gm10, let me assure you he (or she) is a very good developer, and I'm very happy I invited him (or her) in the team. The fact that it didn't work out doesn't negate that, we tried, we achieved while trying and that's very positive.

We're all smart and responsible. We can disagree as adults and agree to stop a relationship which wasn't going to work in the long run without feeling vexed or bitter. From my point of view, it's never an easy decision to make when asking someone to leave a team and the reason it was made in the end (as opposed to just taking the easy way out and letting things be) was to improve things in the long run.

I also don't look at it as me "kicking" people off the team. We can always work things out, or try to work things out, but it's not always the best thing to do. We talk about it and see what's best for both parties. I respected gm10's decision to stop working on the tools when he (or she) reacted this way and that was OK. I've asked another developer not so much to leave lately, but to consider leaving the team, and again, it's difficult, and the work done benefits the project, and there has to be vexation and frustration involved but we don't need to look at it as a failure, or some sort of clash, and I certainly don't need to depict people I ask to leave in a negative light just to make my team look better. It's a good thing we try to bring new people in, and it's also a good thing we talk and ask people to leave if something doesn't click.

In our case gm10 I think it happened fast, maybe I didn't get the opportunity to tell you what I enjoyed (I do miss your humour) and what I didn't like, maybe it went fast precisely also because we're both proud and responsible and so we reached an outcome very quickly without having to talk much about it. I'm always here to talk to you, and not about you to anyone else. I'm also open to working with you more and I hope we'll get the opportunity. We did in the past, outside of the team, we've a slack for that and donation money isn't only for team members.

PS: Talking about the other slack, I assumed you were still on it. I shared a link with you there. GNOME addressed the issue you flagged in relation to mate-terminal: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/merge_requests/795.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Tue May 14, 2019 6:34 am

It always makes me sad to see two good guys fight. Especially when I highly respect them both. :(

But that's life, we're all human, and sh** happens. Fights have to take their course; c'est la vie.... I can only hope it won't damage the project we all love. Such damage would be the saddest possible outcome.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Tue May 14, 2019 7:00 am

as I'm an tinkerer with my PCs - I'm usually interested in /stuff
- - there can be a long list of things in my /stuff folder.
:lol:

this one didn't work, though
Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.hUxUIi57ai/gpg.1.sh --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 9300EDB7
gpg: keyserver receive failed: No data
pierre@Tara:~$

so - - will PM to gm10 - see just why - - yes - it's on Tara
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:08 am

Pierre wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:00 am
this one didn't work, though
Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.hUxUIi57ai/gpg.1.sh --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 9300EDB7
gpg: keyserver receive failed: No data
pierre@Tara:~$

so - - will PM to gm10 - see just why - - yes - it's on Tara
:)
Responding here before you do because this is quite funny - that error wouldn't be happening if you had my PPA installed, but now you cannot even get to it. :D Try this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-key adv --recv-key --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 69f13d232fa2cd4596037d75ddab900a9300edb7

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:27 am

Didn't have your PM at the time. Will answer there. ;)
clem wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:04 am
I'm always here to talk to you, and not about you to anyone else. I'm also open to working with you more and I hope we'll get the opportunity. We did in the past, outside of the team, we've a slack for that and donation money isn't only for team members.

PS: Talking about the other slack, I assumed you were still on it. I shared a link with you there. GNOME addressed the issue you flagged in relation to mate-terminal: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/merge_requests/795.
I appreciate the words you found today, I do, but it came down to a question of respect at end, or the lack thereof. Team spirit goes both ways. Besides, you know I never asked for any money. I wish you guys the best of luck further but I don't expect you and I to be working together again.

As to Slack, according to my chat logs the last thing I ever said and read on there was: "I'm having trouble figuring out how to remove myself from slack so I'll leave that to you". I deleted the slack account on my end then. Cheers for the headsup on the GNOME merge though, surprised they went with that workaround now (after all this time that it was broken).

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Tue May 14, 2019 7:48 am

Hi gm10,

Absolutely. I can't remember whether you had left the github team(s) and the slack or if I admin'd it at the time, I remember I waited a week or so after we talked and then either you were gone or I removed you. Either way, what I mean by slack is the "linuxmint-development" slack (the other one, not the team one, the one you joined much earlier), we use it to get in touch with active people on github, you're still part of that one and you're still very welcome to stay if you're happy to keep in touch.

About GNOME, I was surprised too, and so was Monsta (who pointed me to it).

thx-1138
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thx-1138 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:03 am

...the following is for people who are currently on Mint 18.3 (and who enjoy tinkering...)

Mainly due to Python 3.6 dependencies, most of gm10's PPA tools won't work under such (at least not on an 'as-is' basis).
But - at least some scripts work just fine under 18.x as well, thereby i'm having pretty good time examining them,
and whenever easily applicable, replacing things around... ;-)

Finally i don't have to fire-up Synaptic for this...
thx-1138@Lenovo ~ $ ./gm10-mint-apt-recommends.py smplayer
The following missing recommended packages were found for smplayer:

smplayer-themes
smtube

You can install them by running the following command:

apt install smplayer-themes smtube

thx-1138@Lenovo ~ $ /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintsystem/mint-apt-recommends.py smplayer

The following missing recommended packages were found for smplayer:

libwacom-bin
qttranslations5-l10n
smplayer-themes
smtube
update-motd
xml-core

You can install them by typing the following command:

apt install libwacom-bin qttranslations5-l10n smplayer-themes smtube update-motd xml-core
thx-1138@Lenovo ~ $ ./gm10-mint-apt-recommends.py tlp
The following missing recommended package was found for tlp:

tlp-rdw

You can install it by running the following command:

apt install tlp-rdw

thx-1138@Lenovo ~ $ /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintsystem/mint-apt-recommends.py tlp

The following missing recommended packages were found for tlp:

network-manager-pptp
tlp-rdw
update-motd
xml-core

apt install network-manager-pptp tlp-rdw update-motd xml-core
thx-1138@Lenovo ~ $ ./gm10-mint-apt-recommends.py quickhash
No missing recommended packages were found for quickhash

thx-1138@Lenovo ~ $ /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintsystem/mint-apt-recommends.py quickhash

The following missing recommended packages were found for quickhash:

xml-core

apt install xml-core
...mint-apt-recommends.py + xml-core = LFE :heart:
Because from what i see over at github, gm10 had corrected such, but this hasn't been merged under 19.x either.
The version from mintsystem_8.4.9~gm10_all.deb is thereby what someone wants...
=====================================================

Also the following one also further used to annoy me lots...
gm10, you appear to have went on full Python 3.6 (f-Strings as i understand it?) in your latest PPA version above :P
But luckily, a previous revision of it was merged for 19.x, AND it also works just fine under 18.3...
At some latter moment, i'll probably also cannibalize /usr/local/bin/apt to call it directly,
but for now, i simply just copied such in the path... :)
thx-1138@Lenovo ~ $ ./gm10-apt_changelog.py mpv
mpv (2:0.29.1+git1~xenial) xenial; urgency=medium
* git-5370069
...etc...etc...

thx-1138@Lenovo ~ $ apt changelog mpv
E: mpv is not an official Ubuntu package, cannot display its changelog.
thx-1138@Lenovo ~ $ ./gm10-apt_changelog.py mintsystem
mintsystem (8.3.4.1) sylvia; urgency=medium
...etc...etc...

thx-1138@Lenovo ~ $ apt changelog mintsystem
E: mintsystem is not an official Ubuntu package, cannot display its changelog.
All in all, even under older 18.x, pretty great stuff & fun fixing/tweaking to be had - as always, thank you gm10 :)
gm10 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:08 pm
...or whether I should close the thing down again.
...(guilty of idealism possibly, but) i generally think that it's both more fun & also beneficial, if all options somehow remain open...
Pretty much as software itself. :wink:

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:32 am

thx-1138 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:03 am
gm10, you appear to have went on full Python 3.6 (f-Strings as i understand it?) in your latest PPA version above :P
Oh, that's true, LM 18 is on Python 3.5, right? So much for my statement that it might work on LM 18. ;) But yes, this wasn't written with any thought for backwards compatibility at all I'm afraid. Actually that's not entirely true even, for the PPA I had to bring some features back to the versions in LM 19 because personally I'm running on a newer base and had written for that.
thx-1138 wrote:
At some latter moment, i'll probably also cannibalize /usr/local/bin/apt to call it directly,
It's actually /usr/sbin/apt in my package. Placing files into /usr/local like the official Mint packages do is against Debian's packaging policy and I preferred to do it right. ;)

You might be better off using my release versions and installing python3.6 btw, I had fixed/changed a few things since. Since you shouldn't replace your system-default python version you'd have to keep it optional and adjust the shebang in my executable scripts to point to python3.6 instead of just python3 though.

Also just to say that I enjoyed your post although I'm not sure anybody else understood a word of what you were saying. :lol:
thx-1138 wrote:
gm10 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:08 pm
...or whether I should close the thing down again.
...(guilty of idealism possibly, but) i generally think that it's both more fun & also beneficial, if all options somehow remain open...
Pretty much as software itself. :wink:
Sure, but it's a little bit of extra effort to maintain a public release so if it wasn't getting used I wouldn't invest that effort. Besides, clem seems to be hard at work today to commit my closed pull requests to official Mint, so let's see where that goes, maybe he'll end up pulling all the stuff from the PPA in, too, and make it redundant that way (he'll have fun with mintupdate in particular if he tries that). ;)

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Tue May 14, 2019 10:51 am

I'm going through the backlog, it's going to take a few days and I might forget a few. It's not ideal but that part of your work isn't lost. I didn't anticipate the loss of the PR branches. I understand that you wanted to clean up, I just didn't think of it at the time. I'll get through it and it will be in 19.2.

The PPA is different. I don't know what's in it, what goes into it, your rebase strategy if any. It's not something I'll keep an eye on. It's basically a hard fork we can learn from and hear from when it shows cool new features or ideas. It will take somebody to say "hey look, how about that cool thing over there?" for a dev to have a look.

PS: sbin is a neat idea. Isn't it behind bin in LMDE's PATH though?

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Tue May 14, 2019 11:22 am

clem wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:51 am
The PPA is different. I don't know what's in it, what goes into it, your rebase strategy if any. It's not something I'll keep an eye on. It's basically a hard fork
That's what I meant when I said you'd have fun if you tried cherry-picking from there. It's a hard fork indeed with in particular mintupdate having a very different file structure.
clem wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:51 am
PS: sbin is a neat idea. Isn't it behind bin in LMDE's PATH though?
I think so, but it's not like you couldn't easily change the order on LMDE if you wanted to adopt my solution.

trytip
Level 10
Level 10

Post by trytip » Sat May 18, 2019 12:48 pm

hey gm10,
not a pressing issue, i will use timeshift to go back before these changes, but ca not get mintmenu installed

mint03@mint03:~$ dpkg -l mintmenu
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii  mintmenu       5.9.1        all          Advanced MATE menu

mint03@mint03:~$ apt install mintmenu
[sudo] password for mint03:       
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
mintmenu : Depends: gir1.2-matemenu-2.0 (>= 1.22) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

mint03@mint03:~$ apt install gir1.2-matemenu
Building dependency tree       
Note, selecting 'gir1.2-matemenu-2.0' for regex 'gir1.2-matemenu'
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  gir1.2-matemenu-2.0
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 8,660 B of archives.
After this operation, 31.7 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 gir1.2-matemenu-2.0 amd64 1.20.0-2 [8,660 B]
Fetched 8,660 B in 0s (22.3 kB/s)              
Selecting previously unselected package gir1.2-matemenu-2.0:amd64.
(Reading database ... 300798 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../gir1.2-matemenu-2.0_1.20.0-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking gir1.2-matemenu-2.0:amd64 (1.20.0-2) ...
Setting up gir1.2-matemenu-2.0:amd64 (1.20.0-2) ...
mint03@mint03:~$ apt install mintmenu
Building dependency tree       
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
mintmenu : Depends: gir1.2-matemenu-2.0 (>= 1.22) but 1.20.0-2 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
mint03@mint03:~$ 

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:10 pm

trytip wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 12:48 pm
hey gm10,
not a pressing issue, i will use timeshift to go back before these changes, but ca not get mintmenu installed
To quote my installation instructions:
PPA Installation Instructions wrote:The mintmenu package you can see below will only be offered if you have MATE 1.22 installed - I won't add that to this PPA, but you should get it with LM19.2, for example (MATE and Cinnamon users that is).
If you need to re-install the Mint version of the menu you can apt install mintmenu/tessa (or /tara depending on your release). Maybe I can tweak the apt pin for the PPA or something like that to have that happen automatically, I'll have to look into it. edit: after looking into it I think the only good solution for this would be to add a separate PPA. I could also make the MATE 1.22 version a separate package that the user has to install manually. Neither solution is really appealing to me, so unless someone comes up with a better idea I think I'll leave it as is. I'll add a note to the installation instructions.

pizzadude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pizzadude » Fri May 31, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi gm10, thanks for this PPA. I was always a fan of your contributions.

I'd like to report a few bugs in your version of mintsources.

First off, if I select "delete cached repository indexes", it deletes them, but it can't refresh the cache as it is waiting for a non-existant package manager to close that it thinks is "running".

"Remove unavailable packages" doesn't work, it spits out this error if I run mintsources from the terminal.

mintsources 
Building dependency tree       
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSources/foreign_packages.py", line 190, in <module>
    foreign_browser = Foreign_Browser()
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSources/foreign_packages.py", line 103, in __init__
    self.model.append([pkg.name, False, f"<b>{pkg.name}</b>", pkg.current_ver.ver_str, "", pkg.name])
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py", line 971, in append
    return self._do_insert(-1, row)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py", line 962, in _do_insert
    row, columns = self._convert_row(row)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py", line 862, in _convert_row
    raise ValueError('row sequence has the incorrect number of elements')
ValueError: row sequence has the incorrect number of elements
Thanks for your hard work!

Edit: Also, the authentication keys section is blank.

E: Unhandled exception while listing keys
Visit my blog LinuxSurge if you like websites that haven't been updated in over 2 years

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:02 am

pizzadude wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:09 pm
I'd like to report a few bugs in your version of mintsources.
Excellent, thanks for that. Sent you a PM regarding the second issue.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

dancer_69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dancer_69 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:54 am

I also have found a bug in mintsources. The "remove" button for removing a ppa doesn't work. Running mintsources from terminal I get this error when I'm trying to remove a ppa:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSources/mintSources.py", line 1660, in remove_ppa
    yes_no=True):
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSources/mintSources.py", line 1799, in show_confirmation_dialog
    image.show()
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'show'

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:12 am

dancer_69 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:54 am
I also have found a bug in mintsources.
That is by design, so nobody can get rid of my PPA again. :lol:
Just kidding, I only just broke that, will be fixed in next version (just waiting to hear back regarding the other issue above). Apologies and many thanks for the report!
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Return to “Community Projects”