Back Up a Hard Drive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kylerickards
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:39 am

Back Up a Hard Drive

Post by kylerickards » Sun May 19, 2019 6:23 am

Hi

I am trying to back up an external USB connected HDD to another externally connected HDD, although this one is a network drive.

I had been using Grsync but it seems to time out after a while and just freeze.

I thought I would go into the command line and use rsync the "proper" way but I can't locations of the drives to work in terminal - is there anything I can check? This is the command I was trying to use to get it working (copied from grsync). I should point out that some data is on there already hence the "/" switch.

rsync -r -t -v -u -p --progress --ignore-existing --omit-dir-times /media/studio/My Book/ /run/user/1000/gvfs/ftp:host=personalcloud.local/kyle/

(EDIT: I also get loads of these warnings in grsyc:

rsync: failed to set times on "/run/user/1000/gvfs/ftp:host=personalcloud.local/kyle/ISO/GIMP/fonts temp/.blazed.zip.l1LrQE": Operation not supported (95)

pbear
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1365
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Back Up a Hard Drive

Post by pbear » Sun May 19, 2019 1:02 pm

FWIW, I use rsync as my data file backup tool in Mint. My form of backup command is simple, but works well. Here's an example:

Code: Select all

rsync -avn --delete-after /mnt/Data/Documents/ /media/pbear/Data/Documents/
Breaking that down,* a means archive (preserving timestamps and such), v means verbose (showing what's being done) and n means dry run (so I can see what the command will do). If that looks good, I run again removing the n switch, i.e., just -av. Doubtless there's a way to make this a script or chron job, but doesn't take long to do manually (I have command strings like the above for all the folders I want to back up), so I've never bothered.

* For details, run man rsync in Terminal. Also available online. Kind of a tough slog, though, as written by system administrators for other system administrators. For a less technical discussion, see How-To Geek. Many more articles available by internet search, if you're interested.

Important to know. In a network environment (the one for which the app was primarily designed), it only backs up differences in files. This reduces transfer load. It means, though, that restore is something of a reconstruction process. In a local environment, which is what you and I have (USB drives count as local), the default is to copy the entire changed file (though, of course, only changed files), so each backup file stands independently.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Before that, try converting your backup string to my format and see what it looks like when run. Notably, because it's a dry run, you won't actually be changing anything yet. Would be just a demo.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

kylerickards
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:39 am

Re: Back Up a Hard Drive

Post by kylerickards » Sun May 19, 2019 1:07 pm

Thank you pbear, I am trying it now (basically I have so many dupes over the years I am just starting again with a clean copy of the data)

Grsync seems to grind to a halt whereas rsync seems to just complete the job fully - I was having trouble getting the exact path to the network drive but I think I have solved that one now

Actually that was the biggest issue, getting the right path between the devices, I seem to get really confused when trying to do using gvfs?

kylerickards
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:39 am

Re: Back Up a Hard Drive

Post by kylerickards » Sun May 19, 2019 3:35 pm

Actually I've left Rsync running and it's just slowed down to a complete stop again - I must be doing something wrong? I don't mind the initial time to do the back up but its having to keep restarting it - would a straight copy for the initial lot be easier?

(Edit - The straight copy didn't work so I guess I will persevere with rsync)

User avatar
phd21
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8722
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Back Up a Hard Drive

Post by phd21 » Sun May 19, 2019 5:44 pm

Hi kylerickards,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

If you are not set on using a syncing application, you could use "gparted" or boot to "gparted live" on CD/DVD or USB stick and copy a partition from one drive to the other drive which is very fast. Then, if you wanted you can use gparted to adjust partition sizes, etc...

You can also try these syncing applications "FreeFileSync" and "LuckyBackup" if you cannot get rsync work well.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

kylerickards
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:39 am

Re: Back Up a Hard Drive

Post by kylerickards » Sun May 19, 2019 6:02 pm

    phd21 wrote:
    Sun May 19, 2019 5:44 pm
    Hi kylerickards,

    I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

    If you are not set on using a syncing application, you could use "gparted" or boot to "gparted live" on CD/DVD or USB stick and copy a partition from one drive to the other drive which is very fast. Then, if you wanted you can use gparted to adjust partition sizes, etc...

    You can also try these syncing applications "FreeFileSync" and "LuckyBackup" if you cannot get rsync work well.

    Hope this helps ...
    Thanks phd21 - I’ve actually just been monumentally stupid! (Although I didn’t fix the problems outlined above!)

    I completely forgot that I can connect the two hard drives with a usb cable, so I’ve done that, fired up the Seagate software browser in a webpage and managed it that way, bypassing the data going through the PC (if that makes sense?)

    User avatar
    phd21
    Level 18
    Level 18
    Posts: 8722
    Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 pm
    Location: Florida

    Re: Back Up a Hard Drive

    Post by phd21 » Sun May 19, 2019 6:05 pm

    Hi kylerickards,

    You are welcome from all of us that replied...

    Yes, it makes sense to clone (copy) the one drive to another using some software like Seagate, or Clonezilla Live, etc...
    Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

    kylerickards
    Level 3
    Level 3
    Posts: 175
    Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:39 am

    Re: Back Up a Hard Drive

    Post by kylerickards » Sun May 19, 2019 9:55 pm

    It’s only one folder I want to copy though, although the folder and it's contents are 500GB

    (Also as per above, one drive is USB and one is a NAS connected drive to the router)

    kylerickards
    Level 3
    Level 3
    Posts: 175
    Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:39 am

    Re: Back Up a Hard Drive

    Post by kylerickards » Tue May 21, 2019 12:22 pm

    Hi

    I'm sorry to ask again - but there must be someway of copying the data to the NAS without the constant hang's and time outs? I have an old Windows system, is it worth booting into that to avoid the problem? (I tried FileSync and the other one suggested and get the same problems - there is nothing wrong with either drives file systems)

    Thanks
    Kyle

    pbear
    Level 6
    Level 6
    Posts: 1365
    Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 pm
    Location: San Francisco

    Re: Back Up a Hard Drive

    Post by pbear » Tue May 21, 2019 12:40 pm

    Sounds like a network problem. Earlier you said you could get around that by connecting both drives via USB. What happened?
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

    kylerickards
    Level 3
    Level 3
    Posts: 175
    Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:39 am

    Re: Back Up a Hard Drive

    Post by kylerickards » Tue May 21, 2019 1:51 pm

    pbear wrote:
    Tue May 21, 2019 12:40 pm
    Sounds like a network problem. Earlier you said you could get around that by connecting both drives via USB. What happened?
    Hi pbear

    That seemed to work but then eventually it started coming up with timed out messages on the browser monitor type panel that I can log into to check things :(

    Last night I left it going when I went to bed and woke up this morning to see it had frozen again - I have no idea how to get the data from USB to NAS, either with NAS/USB directly connected or running through the PC

    pbear
    Level 6
    Level 6
    Posts: 1365
    Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 pm
    Location: San Francisco

    Re: Back Up a Hard Drive

    Post by pbear » Tue May 21, 2019 2:00 pm

    How about connecting both drives by USB and using File Manager? That's what I would do. Also, FWIW, when doing large copies, I generally break it up into pieces - even just one folder/directory at a time if large - so no single failure takes down the whole process.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

    kylerickards
    Level 3
    Level 3
    Posts: 175
    Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:39 am

    Re: Back Up a Hard Drive

    Post by kylerickards » Tue May 21, 2019 2:11 pm

    pbear wrote:
    Tue May 21, 2019 2:00 pm
    How about connecting both drives by USB and using File Manager? That's what I would do. Also, FWIW, when doing large copies, I generally break it up into pieces - even just one folder/directory at a time if large - so no single failure takes down the whole process.
    Thanks pbear - my USB external is USB3 but the NAS doesn't have a USB connector (although I can plug a drive into it), just an ethernet port.

    User avatar
    WharfRat
    Level 21
    Level 21
    Posts: 12879
    Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

    Re: Back Up a Hard Drive

    Post by WharfRat » Tue May 21, 2019 2:34 pm

    kylerickards wrote:
    Tue May 21, 2019 2:11 pm
    pbear wrote:
    Tue May 21, 2019 2:00 pm
    How about connecting both drives by USB and using File Manager? That's what I would do. Also, FWIW, when doing large copies, I generally break it up into pieces - even just one folder/directory at a time if large - so no single failure takes down the whole process.
    Thanks pbear - my USB external is USB3 but the NAS doesn't have a USB connector (although I can plug a drive into it), just an ethernet port.
    Shouldn't you be using cifs to mount a nas drive like this :?:
    ImageImage

    deepakdeshp
    Level 13
    Level 13
    Posts: 4975
    Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:00 am

    Re: Back Up a Hard Drive

    Post by deepakdeshp » Tue May 21, 2019 2:42 pm

    kylerickards wrote:
    Sun May 19, 2019 1:07 pm
    Thank you pbear, I am trying it now (basically I have so many dupes over the years I am just starting again with a clean copy of the data)

    Grsync seems to grind to a halt whereas rsync seems to just complete the job fully - I was having trouble getting the exact path to the network drive but I think I have solved that one now

    Actually that was the biggest issue, getting the right path between the devices, I seem to get really confused when trying to do using gvfs?
    Install fslint to remove file duplicates
    If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
    I am using Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

    kylerickards
    Level 3
    Level 3
    Posts: 175
    Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:39 am

    Re: Back Up a Hard Drive

    Post by kylerickards » Tue May 21, 2019 5:34 pm

    deepakdeshp wrote:
    Tue May 21, 2019 2:42 pm
    kylerickards wrote:
    Sun May 19, 2019 1:07 pm
    Thank you pbear, I am trying it now (basically I have so many dupes over the years I am just starting again with a clean copy of the data)

    Grsync seems to grind to a halt whereas rsync seems to just complete the job fully - I was having trouble getting the exact path to the network drive but I think I have solved that one now

    Actually that was the biggest issue, getting the right path between the devices, I seem to get really confused when trying to do using gvfs?
    Install fslint to remove file duplicates
    Thank you, I would like to make sure the data is safely copied before removing dupes to be honest

    kylerickards
    Level 3
    Level 3
    Posts: 175
    Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:39 am

    Re: Back Up a Hard Drive

    Post by kylerickards » Tue May 21, 2019 5:37 pm

    WharfRat wrote:
    Tue May 21, 2019 2:34 pm
    kylerickards wrote:
    Tue May 21, 2019 2:11 pm
    pbear wrote:
    Tue May 21, 2019 2:00 pm
    How about connecting both drives by USB and using File Manager? That's what I would do. Also, FWIW, when doing large copies, I generally break it up into pieces - even just one folder/directory at a time if large - so no single failure takes down the whole process.
    Thanks pbear - my USB external is USB3 but the NAS doesn't have a USB connector (although I can plug a drive into it), just an ethernet port.
    Shouldn't you be using cifs to mount a nas drive like this :?:
    To be honest I had no idea that was even possible, I was just logging in though the "Browse Network" button which displayed the drive and let me put my log in details in, I will try and follow that post but I may ask for more help, thank you.

    Also to add, I have just connected the External USB to the NAS to only copy small chunks across and I'm getting timed out every time for some reason.

    kylerickards
    Level 3
    Level 3
    Posts: 175
    Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:39 am

    Re: Back Up a Hard Drive

    Post by kylerickards » Tue May 21, 2019 5:41 pm

    kylerickards wrote:
    Tue May 21, 2019 5:37 pm
    WharfRat wrote:
    Tue May 21, 2019 2:34 pm
    kylerickards wrote:
    Tue May 21, 2019 2:11 pm


    Thanks pbear - my USB external is USB3 but the NAS doesn't have a USB connector (although I can plug a drive into it), just an ethernet port.
    Shouldn't you be using cifs to mount a nas drive like this :?:
    To be honest I had no idea that was even possible, I was just logging in though the "Browse Network" button which displayed the drive and let me put my log in details in, I will try and follow that post but I may ask for more help, thank you.

    Also to add, I have just connected the External USB to the NAS to only copy small chunks across and I'm getting timed out every time for some reason.
    Sorry, I am completely confused by that thread, I don't understand it at all :(

    I am sorry - I cannot even find smbfs to install

    User avatar
    WharfRat
    Level 21
    Level 21
    Posts: 12879
    Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

    Re: Back Up a Hard Drive

    Post by WharfRat » Tue May 21, 2019 5:58 pm

    kylerickards,

    What is the IP address of your nas device :?:
    ImageImage

    kylerickards
    Level 3
    Level 3
    Posts: 175
    Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:39 am

    Re: Back Up a Hard Drive

    Post by kylerickards » Tue May 21, 2019 5:59 pm

    I honestly don't know what I am doing here - if there is a different place to ask, I will go there and try. I tried entering this as a wild guess but (as I say openly and honestly) I don't know what I am doing.

    studio@studio-Centurion-CQ9204:~$ sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.64/

    mount: /etc/fstab: parse error at line 10 -- ignored
    mount: //192.168.0.64/: can't find in /etc/fstab.

    Post Reply

    Return to “Newbie Questions”