MInt and AMD: The desktop freezes almost within 15 seconds

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
etharus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: MInt and AMD: The desktop freezes almost within 15 seconds

Post by etharus » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:45 pm

Yeah, I can confirm it also has the same freezing issue in MATE because I tried it over the weekend.

There is definitely a possibility that things are working but it's just the display that is frozen so there's no way to tell. During some of the freezing I've experienced, I've seen a little bit of artifacts here and there.

I guess at this point, I can install the GTX 750 from my old system and use it until there's a way to use the integrated graphics without any issues.

CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CtrlAltDel » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:47 pm

oldgranola wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:24 pm
etharus wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:07 pm
The desktop freezes almost within 15 seconds after boot up in the latest Kernel 5.0. The mouse cursor can be moved around but can't click into anywhere.
Kernel 5.0 is NOT the latest kernel and is not supported here anyway. Upstream stable is on 5.1.5 but is still not supported here, consider it experimental. Go back to the latest 4.15.0-50 at the time of this writing if you want help.
I do play with Kernels but not on computers I MUST have working. This is not the place to bring up upstream problems. Post bugs for current upstream (again 5.0 is not current) at https://bugzilla.kernel.org/. Nobody cares here for none LM supported stuff. Post problems while running the latest LM19.1 supported kernels which are in the 4.15.0-x series

And do ignore the two posts above, will not help you

I wasn't aware of the latest stipulations required to be able to post here and ask for assistance. This is all new to me.

Thanks for helping out the Mint help forum users, OldGranola. Maybe you should ask the admins to sticky a post for you where you detail the rules and guidelines of being able to ask a question on the Mint forums. Personally, I wasn't aware that if you weren't using the kernel that shipped with your version of Mint, you were not permitted to ask a question in the forum and could expect no help from any contributors.

Talk about feeling stupid. I should have never asked a question here, period, because I've never used the correct kernels. Anyway, thanks for the update on the guidelines for posting and for being so nice and helpful. Are stupid questions still allowed?
Intel i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720
8 GB Memory - 2x1 TB HD's
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

deepakdeshp
Level 14
Level 14

Post by deepakdeshp » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:56 am

There are no stupid questions. All experts were newbies once and all newbies will start helping other users after some time. That's what I believe.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

deepakdeshp
Level 14
Level 14

Post by deepakdeshp » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:00 am

Please try the latest kernel 5.2.x series. Though not supported by Mint, it's worth a try.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

etharus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by etharus » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:21 pm

I installed the ukuu utility to install the 5.2.7 kernel. The freezing is even worse but more predictable. The two times I rebooted without editing grub with nomodeset, it froze right after the loading logo disappears. All I see is an underscore at the top left of the screen. Basically, I can't even get to the desktop.

I tried using nomodeset to get into the desktop and install the oibaf graphics drivers but the few times I've tried it including this time, it always ends up saying dpkg or something encountered too many errors about gconf2.

I'm going to give up here.

etharus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by etharus » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:55 pm

Good news! I installed the latest alpha version (9.1.002) of LibreElec and the system has been running rock solid for the past 3 days. I believe there was an issue initially when I was trying to install it but after I disabled CSM Support in bios, it was all good from then on.

Here are what this version has:
Kernel: 5.1.16
OpenGL vendor: X.Org
OpenGL version: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 19.1.2

Is it possible to get this same setup in Mint?

MarkTheMorose
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MarkTheMorose » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:28 pm

etharus wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:55 pm
Good news! I installed the latest alpha version (9.1.002) of LibreElec and the system has been running rock solid for the past 3 days.
Keep us posted!

trytip
Level 10
Level 10

Post by trytip » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:57 am

deepakdeshp wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:00 am
Please try the latest kernel 5.2.x series. Though not supported by Mint, it's worth a try.
INFO:
to have amdgpu-pro-19.20-812932 work on my system mint 19.2 cinnamon ryzen3/vega8 i had to do the following: if you start fresh and want the amdgpu-pro drivers
1: apt install linux-generic
2: download https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous ... rx-vega-64 <<< select the ubuntu then on download button rightclick and save as
3: download Script to modify packages to be able to use with ubuntu 19.04 from the first post attachments https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=110795 <<< rightclick and save as
4: make the script executable then extract drivers and put the script in the amdgpu-pro-19.20-812932-ubuntu-18.04 folder
5: open amdgpu-pro-19.20-812932-ubuntu-18.04 folder in Terminal and paste this to install:

Code: Select all

./install-amdgpu-pro-19.20-812932-on-ubuntu19.04-v05.sh
6: wait for install finish, reboot into kernel 4.15 ONLY
7: information on drivers

glxinfo | grep -i opengl
lspci -k
lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'
DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
your amdgpu will not function if you are not booted to kernel 4.15 default ubuntu kernel
mint03@mint03:~$ glxinfo | grep -i opengl
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon Graphics
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6.13564 Core Profile Context
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.6.13564 Compatibility Profile Context
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: 4.6.13564 Compatibility Profile Context
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL ES profile extensions:
mint03@mint03:~$
install the latest 1.1.114 release of the LunarG Vulkan SDK

wget -qO - http://packages.lunarg.com/lunarg-signing-key-pub.asc | sudo apt-key add -
sudo wget -qO /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lunarg-vulkan-1.1.114-bionic.list http://packages.lunarg.com/vulkan/1.1.114/lunarg-vulkan-1.1.114-bionic.list
sudo apt update
sudo apt install vulkan-sdk

Return to “Newbie Questions”