[Solved] Brother scanner not working, printer OK Mint Cinnamon 19.1

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
kcaldwel
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] Brother scanner not working, printer OK Mint Cinnamon 19.1

Post by kcaldwel »

I have just installed Linus Mint Cinnamon 19.1 on two HP 8300 Ultra Slim desktop computers. One is connected to a Brother MFC-J435W printer/scanner (brscan4) (wireless), and both the printer and scanner work after the Brother driver install, following the directions on the Brother web site.

The other one is connected to a Brother MFC-J265W printer scanner (brscan3), again via wireless. The printer works fine, but the scanner does not show up in either Simple Scan or Xsane. On both, I speciified an IP address since this has worked well previously. This computer is in a different city now, so I have to do everything remotely. I couldn't try it with the printer before I shipped it, so I had done the steps in this blog before I realised the one I have worked without doing this. I don't know if something here messed it up, or?

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... s.html?m=1

The scanner on the J265W printer was working fine on Mint Cinnamon 19.0 on a HP DC7700 desktop, so it is something with the scanner drivers on the new computer.

I have tried removing the drivers and re-installing, re-booting, etc.

It will be a bit slow to try any suggestions because I have to arrange to get connected to the remote computer, but I certainly would appreciate any assistance. I've been happily using Linux Mint for quite a few years, thank you!, but I am still a Linux novice.
Last edited by kcaldwel on Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Brother scanner not working, printer OK Mint Cinnamon 19.1

Post by chiefjim »

On my MFC-j450DW this note buried in the manual solved my problems.

NOTE
If you have previously configured the wireless settings of the machine, you must reset the network settings
before you can configure the wireless settings again.
On your machine, press Menu. Press a or b to choose Network. Press OK.
Press a or b to choose Network Reset. Press OK.
Press 1 (Yes) twice to accept the change.
brian_p
Level 6
Level 6

Post by brian_p »

The essence of the issue is described at

https://wiki.debian.org/Scanner#issue

It is suggested that you open up the brscan3 and brscan4 packages, look in /usr and also read DEBIAN/postinst
kcaldwel wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:30 pm
I have just installed Linus Mint Cinnamon 19.1 on two HP 8300 Ultra Slim desktop computers. One is connected to a Brother MFC-J435W printer/scanner (brscan4) (wireless), and both the printer and scanner work after the Brother driver install, following the directions on the Brother web site.
The postinst makes correct links to enable SANE to find the backend (driver). There is no problem with brscan4.
The other one is connected to a Brother MFC-J265W printer scanner (brscan3), again via wireless. The printer works fine, but the scanner does not show up in either Simple Scan or Xsane. On both, I speciified an IP address since this has worked well previously. This computer is in a different city now, so I have to do everything remotely. I couldn't try it with the printer before I shipped it, so I had done the steps in this blog before I realised the one I have worked without doing this. I don't know if something here messed it up, or?
brscan3 does not install all the correct links in its postinst. You can either do them yourself or (and this could be quicker), copy the files /usr/lib64/sane/libsane-brother3* to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/.
The author of this page is aware that its section 10 requires a rewrite.
The scanner on the J265W printer was working fine on Mint Cinnamon 19.0 on a HP DC7700 desktop, so it is something with the scanner drivers on the new computer.
HP does not mislocate its scanner drivers. It is unknown why Brother chooses to get brscan4 right and brscan3 wrong.
--
Brian.
kcaldwel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kcaldwel »

Thank you Brian P! I'll try copying those files as soon as I can get access to the computer.

Is this something new in Mint 19.1? I have managed to get the brscan3 scanner working, usually with a struggle, on Mint Cinnamon versions 17 through 19.0, and I don't seem to have that in my endless list of things to try.

Thanks,

Kevin
kcaldwel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kcaldwel »

brian_p wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:44 am

brscan3 does not install all the correct links in its postinst. You can either do them yourself or (and this could be quicker), copy the files /usr/lib64/sane/libsane-brother3* to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/.
Thanks so much Brian! That did the trick, my sister's brscan3 scanner is now working again.

Thankfully, all the other the other things I tried didn't screw it up it seems. Copying three files over is a pretty simple solution.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Return to “Printers & Scanners”