[SOLVED] HDMI Audio was working, now not and listed as 'unplugged'?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] HDMI Audio was working, now not and listed as 'unplugged'?

Post by darkstrike »

Hi all,

I have a custom Intel Core 2 Duo desktop I've been using with Mint (currently Mint 19.1 64-bit MATE) for years as a spare PC around the house. I've decided to start using it as a Media Center PC hooked up to my LG TV for Netflix and the like. Prior to now, I've always used it with a 2.1 speaker set plugged into the sound card and an older VGA monitor in the past, which worked perfectly.

Now, fast forward to today...when plugging it into my TV, HDMI video works perfectly - which is great (I'm posting this Thread from the machine as I type this). At first, after setting the output to the right HDMI Audio output in the sound preferences near the clock, the HDMI audio to my TV was working great. After 10 minutes of Youtube watching, though, the sound started to get very fuzzy and echo-y all of a sudden, so I restarted my PC. Upon restart, and now subsequent restarts, the computer lists the HDMI audio as being 'unplugged' in both PulseAudio Volume Control and the 'Sound Preferences'. I never changed anything...?

I tried unplugged and plugging back in the HDMI cable, as well as clearing the HDMI port on my video card, the one on the TV, and both ends of the cable of dust...it seems to have made no difference. It's still listed as unplugged in pauvcontrol. In 'Sound Preferences', it's listed as an output, but if I select it then close the preferences, then go back in to the Preferences to check again, it's jumped back to the default 3.5mm jacks on the sound card again...? Nothing is muted anywhere. Weirdly, though, if I go into Sound Preferences, then to Hardware, selected the HDMI output, and then do a speaker test, I DO hear the normal 'Front Left' and 'Front Right' sound effects coming from the TV....totally bizarre!

I'm at a bit of a loss! Anybody have any suggestions? The machine is an Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz and HDMI is coming from my Radeon HD3850 video card. I've not done any updates in between when the sound on HDMI was working and when it stopped, nor have I switched kernels...?

Screenshots of pauvcontrol and Sound Preferences are attached, for what they're worth. Any help would be appreciated! :)

EDIT - Just an addition - I noticed that if I open a program like Discord, or Clementine and set the PROGRAM'S specific output to the HDMI Audio, that programs audio output will work fine over HDMI! Yet it's doesn't seem to be working on the system as a whole?
Attachments
pref2.png
pref1.png
Screenshot at 2019-06-08 14-49-58.png
Last edited by darkstrike on Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: HDMI Audio was working, now not and listed as 'unplugged'?

Post by MrEen »

Hi darkstrike.

It sounds like pulseaudio got confused. Delete the files in /home/YourUserName/.config/pulse then run pulseaudio -k in the terminal. Now on the Output Devices tab of pavucontrol, click on the check mark next to the HDMI Port to make it the default port. This last step might not be necessary, but if i't going to be the primary way you're using the machine, then it makes sense to set it.

Hope that helps.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

If the above doesn't work, in case you're on kernel version 4.15.0-51, boot into 4.15.0-50 instead (press Esc after the BIOS boot screen, then select the -50 version from the Advanced menu option). The -51 version contained a problematic HDMI audio device change.
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

...gentlemen/women....you two are geniuses! All seems to be well now. I did both just in case, but I am betting it was the kernel update that somehow messed things up. Back on -50 now (deleted -51 for the time being) and my HDMI audio is working fine again, kudos!
MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

gm10 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:30 pm
If the above doesn't work, in case you're on kernel version 4.15.0-51, boot into 4.15.0-50 instead (press Esc after the BIOS boot screen, then select the -50 version from the Advanced menu option). The -51 version contained a problematic HDMI audio device change.
Damn. I already forgot about that stupid commit. Nice catch!
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] HDMI Audio was working, now not and listed as 'unplugged'?

Post by darkstrike »

I'm assuming that problematic change will be reverted on the next kernel, hopefully...?
MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

I doubt it will until people complain. Here's gm10's original post about it:
gm10 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:30 am
JSpeed wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:29 pm
On reboot, my audio was completely dead and could not bring it back up. The audio device was completely missing, it's a RS780 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 3200]

Loaded back 4.15.0.50.52 and erased 4.15.0.51.53 and all is good again.
I'd say the likelihood is high they broke it with this patch in that kernel version:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1827967

Beats me how that issue got "Critical" classification, sounds about as irrelevant as it gets.

You can report the bug: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Bugs and it should get fixed in one of the next versions.
And I love this line from the original report:
[Regression Risk]
Low. We have done many tests on machines with or without this problem,
there is no regression so far.

As long as you don't use HDMI audio, I'm sure the risk is low. Otherwise, not so much. EDIT: I'm wondering if any of their test machines used Radeon graphics.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

I bet their test machines didn't...I'm happy to stick with Kernel 50 for awhile, though, if need be as long as things are working. :)
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

Just adding to this thread because with the update to the -52 Kernel, this issue still persists.If you stick with the -50 kernel, HDMI Audio still works fine!

Thought I would add this in case others are having the same issue!
MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

Another user had theirs resolved, but I'm not sure which kernel did it. If you try 0-54 the issue may be gone.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

Was just on -54....same issue. That's what prompted me to post here again. Back to -50 I go for now!
MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

I just read your OP again. I think your issue is slightly different than the original kernel issue, although it could be related. The issue a few others had was HDMI audio completely disappeared as an option. I strongly suspect we can get yours working properly with the newer kernels, but it could take a bit of work. I'm up for it if you are.

I'll be home from work in just under 18 hours from the time this is posted with plenty of time to troubleshoot if you'd like to try.

If you do want to make the effort, here's what I suggest you do to start. In the terminal enter cd ~/ followed by wget http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh -O alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh

That script will offer the choice of uploading the results or saving locally. You can do either. If uploading, save the URL!

After you have those results, reboot into the -54 kernel then run cd ~/ followed by bash alsa-info.sh to get a new copy of the output so we can see a lot of the changes that have occurred.

There's a very decent chance your issue is with pulseaudio and not alsa, so this may lead to nothing, but it's a good place to start.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

I could be up for trying then...I'll have to see if I am busy! I still think it might be a kernel issue. I've tried kernel -51, -52, and -54 and they all list the HDMI audio as disabled, etc as I stated in my original post, but the second I go back to kernel -50 or older, it works perfectly again...?

Should I try a more up-to-date kernel like the 4.18 or 5.0 series?
MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

darkstrike wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:21 pm
I could be up for trying then...I'll have to see if I am busy! I still think it might be a kernel issue. I've tried kernel -51, -52, and -54 and they all list the HDMI audio as disabled, etc as I stated in my original post, but the second I go back to kernel -50 or older, it works perfectly again...?

Should I try a more up-to-date kernel like the 4.18 or 5.0 series?
I wouldn't bother with the higher kernels as the machine is pretty old, so I doubt it would change anything.

One of the reasons I'm thinking this should be fixable is the Speaker Test works. It's most likely some issue with pulseaudio, or a miscommunication between alsa and pulseaudio. The script outputs might be enough to determine the best method of attack. We'll see when I get home.

More outputs to include that may help is pacmd list-cards and inxi -Fxz.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

I'll try and take a look tonight, but FYI I tried the latest 5.0 kernel for the hell of it and everything worked....except the HDMI audio. Went back to 4 -50 and all was well again!
MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

I may be wrong about it being fixable. Your description is a bit different than the others with the issue, which may simply be a different manifestation of the same issue they had.

Another thing that might very well work is to use a mainstream kernel instead of an Ubuntu kernel, but that's not something I would suggest doing.

Anyway, I'll look through all the info when it's posted and see what I can find to help slay this beast.

Return to “Hardware Support”