Moving taskbar icons

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
egret
Level 1
Level 1

Moving taskbar icons

Post by egret » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:28 pm

I have made a mess of the panels on my desktop layout, and having tried related suggestions posted in the forums, the layout has not improved. The laptop is running kernel 4.4.0-151-generic, Mint 18.3, Cinnamon 3.6.7, 64-bit. The current state is as follows. The desktop has two horizontal panels, one at the top and one at the bottom ("taskbar"). The top panel is empty. The bottom panel has a Menu icon, a calendar icon, a terminal icon, a file system icon, a Firefox icon and several others. These are all jammed at the far right end, and while I can reorder the icons locally at the right end of the taskbar, they always snap back when I try to move them to the left. Panel edit mode does not help.

I would like to be able to:
1. Relocate the icons all to the far left of the taskbar.
2. Remove the top panel entirely.
3. Be able to drag and drop icons to anywhere, in any order, within the taskbar.

Thanks for your help!

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Moving taskbar icons

Post by smurphos » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:42 am

Right click on the top panel > Modify panel > Remove panel

Right click on bottom panel > check panel edit mode.

You should note the panel is highlighted with 3 coloured zones (left / middle / right). These indicate your drop zone targets for drag and drop of individual panel applets They expand as you add applets to them.

Note your launcher icons (terminal, file manager and firefox and any other launchers you have added) are all contained in a single panel-launcher applet by default so in panel edit mode they are moved as a group. If you want those split up you'll need to add additional panel launcher applet instances via right click on panel > add to panel, move the panel launcher applets to the right locations and then turn off panel edit mode the arrange the individual launchers between panle launcher applets.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

egret
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Moving taskbar icons

Post by egret » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:50 am

Thanks smurphos. I had an aha-duh moment before I read your post, and figured out my own answers to 1 (doing a reset) and 2. But your answer goes way beyond that, giving a nice framework.

Return to “Cinnamon”