Debian 10 "Buster" was released

Chat about Linux in general
JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Debian 10 "Buster" was released

Post by JoeFootball » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:39 am

After somewhat close to 26 years since version 0.01 was released, Debian has hit double-digits with its latest release. I may have to play with this one, as I have a soft spot for venerable Debian, as it was technically my first home Linux system (20 years ago!).

Anyway, here's to another noteworthy achievement in a worthy legacy.

https://www.debian.org/News/2019/20190706

Joe

smurphos
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Debian 10 "Buster" was released

Post by smurphos » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:44 am

Folks have release parties for Debian....geekier than geek :roll: :D :mrgreen:

https://wiki.debian.org/ReleasePartyBuster
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JoeFootball » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:51 am

smurphos wrote: Folks have release parties for Debian....geekier than geek :roll: :D :mrgreen:
Oh yes, one must have a proper release party. :) After I complete the day's chores and errands (which I'm now avoiding), I shall hoist a beverage with admirable acknowledgement and recognition of Debian 10's release. I just may do so tomorrow as well. And the following day.

Joe

151tom
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 151tom » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:45 am

Yep Debian Wheezy was my first experience with Linux.

I then tried Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr and still use Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver.

I use LMDE 3 and prefer LMDE 3 over the Linux Mint standard versions which are OK.

Yeah seems like a good enough reason to toss back a few double shoots of Wild Turkey 101 for recognition of Debian 10's release.

smgordon1259
Level 3
Level 3

Post by smgordon1259 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:49 pm

why does there have to be a reason to drink?
ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
AMD FX-4350 (4.2gHz)
ASUS GTX 660 - 2gb / Driver Nvidia 390.116
Linux Mint 19.1 MATE amd64 / Kernel 5.0.0-20-generic x86_64
Primary: Seagate 1TB SSHD, Secondary: Seagate 500GB SSHD, Tertiary: Hitachi 750GB HD

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:05 pm

151tom wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:45 am
Yep Debian Wheezy was my first experience with Linux.

I then tried Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr and still use Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver.

I use LMDE 3 and prefer LMDE 3 over the Linux Mint standard versions which are OK.

Yeah seems like a good enough reason to toss back a few double shoots of Wild Turkey 101 for recognition of Debian 10's release.
Same here - running LMDE 3 Cindy - running Debian 10 Buster LXQt in a VM
I'm kind of spoiled by Cinnamon though so not really enthralled by LXQt.

mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:55 pm

I was excited to try the new Debian in Cinnamon to see if it's a good LMDE3 replacement (while waiting for LMDE4), but...its implementation of Cinnamon is not as good as LMDE3. I have gotten spoiled with the ease of network sharing of folders using Mint Cinnamon. Anyways, I do like the Xfce in Debian more than the Xfce in Mint though. :)
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:47 pm

Debian Buster actually has GIMP 2.10 in their software offering... I am very close to a fling :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:35 pm

I am a dedicated Mate user. When Ubuntu dropped Gnome2 I went looking.

Stayed with the holdouts that used Gnome2,,, Pinguy and Solus mostly.
Mint had a offering of Mate that was useable, so I migrated.
LMDE was my cup of tea, Mate of course... then that got super funky and finally died.

Jessie Mate was great, an eye opener... having ALL of the Mate tools and apps.
Stretch was better, especially with Mate 1.20 via Testing repos.
On one machine we used testing for nearly 2 years (now Buster), it was solid, still is.

Now, Buster really rocks.

The Buster transition to Stable was smooth. Debian is to be admired for that.

Wayland is still an issue, damn those Gnome people for their persistence without follow through on stabilizing Wayland.
Mate team has been working on a Wayland move, but it is a moving target... maybe the dust will settle for Bullseye.

I continue try other desktops, none have fit me as well, nor the office staff.
Debian does Mate the best.

I still have a soft spot for Mint, but mintstick is the only app I still use.

PS: SID is a fun adventure, new stuff, kinda rolling, but a tiny bit buggy
Peter
Mate desktop https://mate-desktop.org/
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... -firmware/

MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MurphCID » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:17 am

I am excited enough that I might try it on my extra Linux laptop (the 15" HP I got from the Spouse Unit when she got her new one).

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:10 pm

I'm playing with it in a VM with Cinnamon - I tried LXQt for a few days . . . . I don't know the "light" DEs just do not appeal to me when compared to Cinnamon and I have enough resources on this old 8 year old HP Pavillion (AMD 8 core Bulldozer CPU and 16G of RAM) to run Cinnamon just fine, at least for what I use it for - i.e. not a gamer - same with my T430s (i5 and i7 8G of RAM) I just don't see a BIG performance boost with the lighter DEs, at least not enough to make them worth giving up Cinnamon.

I am going to research what the actual differences are between Debian vs. LMDE. I know LMDE is Mint base on Debian sans Ubuntu and I kinda of come across the differences playing around but I wish I could find at least a more detailed description of what is different (being a "hack" I probably wouldn't understand most of it but I would like to try) other than more stable older packaging rolling release etc. . . . working on it though.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:29 am

I'm doing a first test install for somebody that wants Debian. I'm sorry to say but I feel let down by lack of attention to detail.

Tried switching the repository mirror to one in the Netherlands. Afterwards can no longer update. Switch the repository back to the main repository. Still can't update. Found the error to be Debian's software properties program sets 'debian' instead of 'debian-security' on the URL for the securities updates repository, which breaks that repository :| I had to take the sources.list example from https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList#Exa ... urces.list to repair the sources.list file.

Don't get me started on the pile of useless stuff the installer installs for a system selected to install in Dutch. Thai terminal? Multilingual terminal? Anthy [Japanese] dictionary? Mozc setup? Dictionary packages for over 40 languages other than Dutch or English? Why :shock:

After removing Gnome Software, because the user just wants automatic updates without prompts and won't be installing software themselves, APT now says I can go ahead and remove Xorg as it's no longer needed :lol: This is such a mess.

I think I'll try again the console installer.

DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:36 am

hi xenopeek...if your friend wants "debian" try "sparkylinux" which is a debian distro...they have a few different versions of sparky including not just rolling releases but also stable ones as well...ive been playing with 2 different ones for the past couple of weeks, their "game over" edition rolling release as well as their base stable version...so far so good, smooth sailing, very easy installer etc...DAMIEN

PS...i already tried Deb 9 and Deb 10...not the most user friendly thing ive ever dabbled with.
ORDO AB CHAO

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:57 am

Thanks for the recommend. As I understand it Sparky use LXDE/LXQt. I'm sticking with Gnome, Cinnamon or MATE (users' choice) on installs I do for others. I don't want to saddle anybody that will call on me for support with a DE I'm not very familiar with. While I enjoy experimenting and taking a look at say LXQt that will just lead to same frustration as having to support people on Windows :)

sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:07 am

xenopeek: that's unfortunate
Can you tell us what ISO you are using?
Installer, the Debian or Calamaris?
Desktop?

I obviously am having the opposite experience, but I use default language and mirrors.
Peter
Mate desktop https://mate-desktop.org/
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... -firmware/

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:26 am

I used debian-live-10.0.0-amd64-gnome.iso and just used the installer in the menu. Don't know if that is calamaris or something other. How can I tell?

Which installer I use doesn't play a role in the bug found in the Software Properties program.

Let's not turn this into a support topic though :)

Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Portreve » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:44 pm

For my money, Debian is more appropriate for server and business workstation roles, though my experience with the Debian 10 beta suggested to me it could make an effective fall-back for me if for some reason I needed to stop using Linux Mint.
I have to leave so I can get home by the time I arrive.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.1 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

ColdBootII
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ColdBootII » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:20 pm

Not the most user friendly in the sense that there are more things to dabble with from a text editor. Sometimes I'm not sure if that is a handicap. :mrgreen: From a different perspective, it is very user friendly looking at the level of details covered in their wiki pages, should you ever need some info. Only Gentoo and Arch can compare.

Cheers :D

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:30 am

I started Debian 10 Buster MATE (the version with all non-free drivers...) on my MacBook 2009.
Works - except for the stupid WiFi Broadcom driver: exactly that one wasn't there...
Via Ethernet / cable it should work without any problems.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Return to “Chat about Linux”