Chat about just about anything else
Moem
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Things that suck...

Post by Moem » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:50 am

Pjotr wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:00 am
Renault is an abbreviation: Roest En Narigheid Achtervolgen U Lange Tijd ("rust and misery will haunt you for a long time"). :wink:
Ah, we're digging out old jokes now. That is one of my favourites, though, because it rymes. And it used to be true. Cars last a lot longer than they used to! Even French cars :twisted: :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:54 pm

old one: FORD (Fix Or Repair Daily)

DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:08 pm

Also for Ford...(Frigged Over Rebuilt Dodge) or (Frigged Over Rebuilt Disaster), Yugo = You Go (no where) along with , "what do you call a Yugo at the top of a hill? = "A Mirage", 2 Yugos at the top of a hill? = A frikkin miracle, and a Fiat? = Fix It AGAIN Tony...DAMIEN

EDIT for Yugo...you know there has to be something wrong with a car that has a spare starter and alternator in the rear deck when you buy it brand new and when you pull down the sunvisor, there is a printed warning not to exceed 45 MPH.
ORDO AB CHAO

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slipstick » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:28 pm

Another one for FORD - Found On Road, Dead. (Hasn't happened to mine, yet, knock on wood). :)
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Portreve » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Moem wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:04 am
Portreve wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:11 pm
(Some number). Having to buy a new car.
(+1). Having to buy a new car at short notice.
Or (similar problem) being able to keep the current car, but it does need an unexpected and fairly expensive repair. :?
At the risk of hijacking my own thread, here's a brief story about one of the ongoing affairs in my life right now...

My car is having wear and tare issues, coming up as it is on 160,000 mi (~270.000 km) and one of my coworkers suggested looking into Mitsubishi because they're fairly inexpensive and they evidently make good deals on trade-ins.

Well, a friend of mine heard I was looking at their cars and she was like, hey, hold on. Check Consumer Reports and other places first.

I'm guessing she already did because when I talked to her, she told me a lot of what I had just read (noisy, kind of underpowered, questionable durability, etc.) and she suggested I look at Hyundai. Another friend has suggested looking at Toyota.

Mind you, I have a limited budget and so I'm trying not to spend more than about $13,000 (~11.520 €).

If anyone here would like to offer up thoughts about it, I'm happy to listen.
I have to leave so I can get home by the time I arrive.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.1 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:39 pm

We are very happy with our Hyundai i45 premium - (Sonata in other parts of the world, I believe). done over 200.000ks so far.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:09 am

Portreve wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:22 pm
If anyone here would like to offer up thoughts about it, I'm happy to listen.
Toyota is always a good choice. Haven't owned anything but a Toyota for just over 20 years. Camry is a nice midsize car and if you want something smaller with better mileage, Corolla is great as well. Yes, Hyundai has come a long way since their first cars and they are quite good. I don't know how good a used Hyundai is but a used Toyota is recommended.

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:17 am

A Toyota will never die.

The car fanatics on Top Gear drove a Toyota into the sea and it still worked. They drove that same Toyota into a wall and it still worked. They set the same Toyota on fire and it still worked. Then they put that same Toyota on top of a 20 storey building, which was about to be demolished by explosives. Guess what: after the explosive demolition and the tons of rubble and the fall from a 20 storey high building the Toyota still worked!

But I am off topic, because a car that wont die, no matter what you throw at it, definitely does NOT suck...
At an endnote: it was a Toyota pickup truck, used in many third world countries, for that very particular reason: it wont die...

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:53 am

I also only drive Toyota's.... Best cars in the world. Pricey on the second-hand market, but worth every cent.

Note that for highest quality, you want a Toyota that has been built in Japan and not one that has been built in some overseas factory. Definitely not one that has been built in France. :shock:

These guys agree that it's the car that can take the heaviest punishment:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Moem
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Moem » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:58 am

carum carvi wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:17 am
it was a Toyota pickup truck, used in many third world countries, for that very particular reason: it wont die...
Yup, the famous Hilux. I've seen them all over Chad, Sudan and so many other countries. Out there, they really know what works and what doesn't!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:03 am

Moem wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:58 am
carum carvi wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:17 am
it was a Toyota pickup truck, used in many third world countries, for that very particular reason: it wont die...
Yup, the famous Hilux. I've seen them all over Chad, Sudan and so many other countries. Out there, they really know what works and what doesn't!
They sure do. Here you see some local relief workers on their way to delivering food to the poor:
Is that you behind the wheel, Moem? :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Moem
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Moem » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:02 am

Pjotr wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:03 am
Nope! I've only ever ridden in them as a passenger. But most of the time I was on my motorbike... I liked that even better. :D

Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Portreve » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:04 am

Moem wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:58 am
Pjotr wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:03 am
Pssst... What happens in Chad stays in Chad, Pjotr. :wink:

bob466
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bob466 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:59 pm

majpooper wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:24 pm
bob466 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:45 am
We do have a go at one another...but it's all in good fun :lol: :lol: :lol: but Holden and Ford do suck big time because they both walked away and put many people out of jobs. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Whoa . . . What? - Where are they going to build GM cars for the Pacific Rim ? No more Holden Engineering ? - No No No ! ! ! That is where the High performance Chevys come from. Where will the Chevys that they race in NASCAR be engineered and come from ? I can't believe this - Holden is . . . was??? kind of the tuner version like M or AMG but for lowly Chevys - I say kind of because all they really did is re-badged the high performance Holdens and make the LHD.
As a matter of fact...no cars are now made in Australia...not enough profit. :evil: :evil: :roll: :roll: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotiv ... _Australia You can still buy any brand of car but they now are shipped from who knows where and of cause not cheaper either...anyway Toyota is the best car maker...leaves General Motors (Holden) and Ford for dead. Image :D :D :lol: :lol:
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

RollyShed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RollyShed » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:37 pm

A thing that sucked concerning vehicles - the Toyota LandCruiser had semi floating rear axles and they were hard to change. LandRover had fully floating axles which were easy to change. However you never had to change/replace the Toyota ones but were always breaking LandRover axles. Things might be better now but this certainly related to the LandRover IIA series.

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:53 pm

Interestingly enough, when I was actually working for a living, we had a Nissan Navara ute that we parked at 300,000 km after using, and abusing, it for years tree lopping. we replaced it with a hilux, The Navara was a better ute. Even after sitting for about five years a bloke came in an made an offer on it. poured some fuel down the carbie (remember those) towed it for 100m and then drove it home. The lux did not last nearly as long. I do agree, though, anything Toyota is usually well made and reliable. Korean cars are where the Japs were bout 20 years years ago.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:37 am

You gotta see this IF anyone still doesnt believe Toyota pickup trucks are UNkillable.

After driving it into the sea, setting it on fire, dropping a caravan on top of it etc etc, Top Gear decided to put this Toyota pickup truck on top of a 23 storey building which was about to be blown up.

Below is the first youtube link to the first failed attempts (fire, drowning, wreckingball) of killing the Toyota.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPnIpjodA8

Below is the 2nd youtube link to the spectacular explosion of the 23 storey building which the Toyota still survived!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFnVZXQD5_k

smurphos
Level 11
Level 11

Post by smurphos » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:46 am

Even the baby Toyota's are as hard as nails - I've got one of these currently heading for 190K Miles and still going very very strong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8L3p25flZ0
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

stormryder
Level 3
Level 3

Post by stormryder » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:38 am

smurphos wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:46 am
Even the baby Toyota's are as hard as nails - I've got one of these currently heading for 190K Miles and still going very very strong
I know other people who have had good luck with Toyotas although I haven't, I had one that blew a head gasket while going downhill.
Chevys are the only vehicles I've found that can withstand the punishment I put them through.
My blazer is still going strong at 278k miles:
Its not without problems, but it has a tough job.

Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Portreve » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:51 pm

stormryder wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:38 am
I know other people who have had good luck with Toyotas although I haven't, I had one that blew a head gasket while going downhill.
Chevys are the only vehicles I've found that can withstand the punishment I put them through.
My blazer is still going strong at 278k miles:
Its not without problems, but it has a tough job.
Your Blazer looks a little bit cold there, stormryder. :lol:

Return to “Open chat”