Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Re: totally lost, Linux Mint doesn't boot after installing

Post by lsemmens » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:02 pm

I second (or third, or....) the notion of downloading a windows ISO, in case you never need it. Given that all is backed up. I'd be starting from scratch and booting from the Linux stick, once you are running in the live environment, select install, and use the option to install Linux as the only OS. With your windwoes disk, if it all goes horribly pear shaped (but it won't) you can then re-install windwoes if you have to. (no product key needed with w10)
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Kgk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kgk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:00 am

Hi Athi,
Your comment, “Before you make the final decision to get rid of Windows, make sure that you can install and use wifi, ethernet, Skype,...” was really important, as I learned that I cannot use Skype. :( It does not appear to be supported by Mint, though it is supported by Linux. I can attach a screenshot of what it told me. I keep getting from Windows going through all of this. If I shut down more than twice in a half hour it locks me out for two hours, which is ridiculous. Is there a way to turn this off?

After seeing that Skype literally did not work, it was sort of a wakeup call that I should not be so careless with Windows. Windows is horrible, but at least it (sort of) works.

You were correct that I am able to extract the ISO from the MediaCreationTool. It is currently in the process of downloading, and then I will use that Linux etcher to burn it to a flash. I will let you know when I have it.

I think what makes the most sense at this point is what you recommended earlier, of trying to get a clean install of Windows on the computer and then going from there. A lot of these issues I am having might simply be from all of the crapware and other things with the computer, which might be fixed with a clean install.

Then after that we can start working on the dual boot idea, as after Skype, a clean Linux only system is apparently risky. Especially since I am so new to it, and Skype is a pretty significant issue since I work on Skype.

Your comment, “I suggested legacy bios for Mint only installation because it is a bit simpler,” makes me like the idea of legacy bios, as simpler is good.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-13 um 20.57.19.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-13 um 20.57.19.png (51.87 KiB) Viewed 313 times

athi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by athi » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:17 am

Kgk wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:00 am

Your comment, “I suggested legacy bios for Mint only installation because it is a bit simpler,” makes me like the idea of legacy bios, as simpler is good.
For Win10/Mint dual boot, you will have to use UEFI with secure boot disabled. This is actually simpler with Win10 installed first, since Win10 will create the EFI partition that Mint can also use. Not to worry, it is not as hard as you think to setup dual boot. Bigger worry is Mint hardware support for your Atheros QCA9377 wifi.

Below is a link for how to install Win10 for your reading pleasure:
https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to ... indows-10/
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core2duo.

Kgk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kgk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:37 am

Hi Athi,
I used Rufus and transferred the ISO to the flash drive.

According to that link you sent me, it appears that I now need to restart the computer with the USB plugged in.

I think I have three further questions how to do this before I actually restart.
1) I assume like “normal” when the ACER screen appears I need to press F2. Correct?

2) The article stated, “Restart your computer with the USB drive or DVD inserted, and boot from that device. This may require you change a setting in the BIOS, access a boot menu, or use the “Use a device” option in the advanced startup options on a modern Windows 8 or 10 device that includes UEFI firmware instead of the traditional BIOS.” To be frank, I don't understand what it is saying. When I press F2 and select the USB drive, do I need to change the Boot to UEFI? Currently I did not have the chance to have the login not secure. If I do not have the option to make it unsecure would that be something we can do after it installs?

3) The article stated, “(When) you see the “Which type of installation do you want?” screen. Select the “Custom” option to ensure you’re performing a clean install and not an upgrade install. Partition your system drive however you like.” If I have this option, do I create two sections which are 50/50? Or is there something specific I should give Windows if it gives me this option?

I certainly hope you are correct that it is not as hard as I think to set up a dual boot. I am not super concerned about the wifi, in part because Mint connected to wifi without a problem in live mode, and also, since I will apparently be still in Windows for Skype, which is what I truly need Windows for. Even though other versions of Linux apparently support Skype, Mint is said to be the best for beginners, and it seems important to keep this as clear as possible until I have a grip on how Linux functions.

Ultimately once Windows and Linux are both there, the way I can go back and forth is to shut down and press F2 to select which OS. Is that correct?

athi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by athi » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:05 am

Setting up O/S sounds intimidating with all the steps that must be performed in sequence. But once you learned the sequence/patterns, it is relatively simple. For dual boot, simpler option is to let Windows use the entire SSD now and resize Windows partition later to make room for Mint installation.

In your case, you can set the BIOS to UEFI and Disabled now so you can install Mint later without changing the BIOS.
1. Repeatedly tap F2 to enter BIOS setup.
2. When BIOS setup screen appears, use the arrow key to slide right to the Boot tab. The top 2 items should be Boot Mode [UEFI] and Secure Boot [Enabled].
3. Use the arrow key to slide down to highlight [Enabled]. Press Enter and a menu will appear with Enabled and Disabled. Use the arrow key to highlight Disabled.
4. Press Enter key to exit menu. Verify that second item is now Secure Boot [Disabled]. If not, repeat steps to change to [Disabled].
5. Use arrow key to slide right to Exit tab. If needed, use arrow key to highlight Exit Saving Changes.
6. Press Enter key to open Setup Confirmation screen. If needed, use arrow to highlight [Yes] and press enter to save settings, exit BIOS setup and reboot.

You would now select USB for temporary boot device, same as when you boot into Mint liveUSB.
1. Repeatedly tap F12 to enter BIOS Boot Option Menu.
2. Use arrow key to slide down to select item with USB.
3. Press Enter to exit Boot Option Menu and reboot. Laptop should now boot from Windows Installation USB.

Once laptop boot into Windows 10 Installation screen, you will delete all partitions and let Windows 10 installer do all the partitioning and setup. Some of the options/screen can be different but the items should be the same. When prompt for information, either select from pull down menu (down arrow key to right of box) or type information into box as appropriate.
1. If given a choice, select Windows 10 Setup (64 bits)
2. If asked for Windows activation key, select "I don't have a product key". Window 10 will auto activate later.
3. When asked "Which type of installation do you want?”, select the “Custom” option to allow you to delete all partitions.
4. In the Where do you want to install Windows screen, select each partition and select Delete until all partitions are gone and unallocated space is left. Then select the Unallocated Space and click Next to start Windows 10 installation
install-Windows-10-from-USB-7-400x227.jpg
install-Windows-10-from-USB-7-400x227.jpg (18.09 KiB) Viewed 256 times
5. Installation could take a while and you may be prompted for information. Take your time and read through the prompts before answering or input informations. Most important is the password, use a password that you can remember and password is case sensitive (you will be asked for password during login or to make changes to Windows).

After installation, install antivirus, perform all updated, install the software you need and test to make sure all is working before trying to dual boot with Mint.

Edit: After dual boot with Mint is completed, you can select O/S from GRUB menu during boot without having to change boot order in BIOS.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core2duo.

Kgk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kgk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:46 pm

Hi Athi,
Thank you very much for the detailed instructions, I am afraid I might have done something wrong though.

After that initial failed Mint install, the only way I can get to the boot screen with F2 is with a flash drive. So I left the flash in, and when I restarted the computer and pressed F2, I expected the normal boot screen, but instead it asked me to install Windows as my only option. My only two options were to preserve settings and such, or start over with a custom install. So I pressed that and received this screen.

The issue is that I am getting a warning that the drive is too small to install Windows. Compared to your picture, it certainly is, as it says the ACER drive is 17.3GB and your picture is 48.7GB. Attached are all the partitions it showed me.

I had used a different flash for the Windows install compared to the Mint install. I am thinking I should exit out of this, take out the flash, and then restart it with the Mint flash to prevent windows from trying to install right away. Is this correct?
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-14 um 09.42.02.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-14 um 09.42.02.png (124.81 KiB) Viewed 237 times

athi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by athi » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:10 pm

Picture in instruction is just one that I found online, definitely does not apply in your case. Does installer allow you to select and delete partitions?
Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-14 um 09.42.02.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-14 um 09.42.02.png (124.81 KiB) Viewed 213 times
From the picture in your post, partition 1 is EFI partition, partition 2 is Windows system partition, partition 3 could be the Win10 partition, cannot tell what partition 4 or 5 are (picture does not show type of partition).

athi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by athi » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:00 pm

Kgk wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:46 pm
Hi Athi,
Thank you very much for the detailed instructions, I am afraid I might have done something wrong though.

After that initial failed Mint install, the only way I can get to the boot screen with F2 is with a flash drive. So I left the flash in, and when I restarted the computer and pressed F2, I expected the normal boot screen, but instead it asked me to install Windows as my only option. My only two options were to preserve settings and such, or start over with a custom install. So I pressed that and received this screen.

The issue is that I am getting a warning that the drive is too small to install Windows. Compared to your picture, it certainly is, as it says the ACER drive is 17.3GB and your picture is 48.7GB. Attached are all the partitions it showed me.

I had used a different flash for the Windows install compared to the Mint install. I am thinking I should exit out of this, take out the flash, and then restart it with the Mint flash to prevent windows from trying to install right away. Is this correct?
You have done nothing wrong, looks like Mint liveUSB must be installed for you to enter BIOS setup with F2 key. Inability to enter BIOS setup without liveUSB drive inserted is an annoyance but not a show stopper as long as you can still access the BIOS setup screens. This may not be an issue after Win10 is installed anyway.

You booted from Win10 install USB so you will only have options on how to install Win10, this is normal.

The warning about drive size is most likely due to insufficient unallocated space on the SSD as it is currently setup. This will not be an issue once you delete all the partitions. BTW, the Acer partition is 98.2GB with 17.3GB used.

You can install Win10 first and skip the disabling of the secure boot part of the instruction. You just have to disable secure boot before setting up Mint.

Kgk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kgk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:53 pm

Hi Athi,
Ya, I know that picture I uploaded was really small. I kept needing to make it smaller and smaller to even be able to be uploaded.

Yes, I am able to delete partitions. Below is what the screen says. A dash means it did not say anything in that section:

Driver 0 Partition 1: ESP System
Driver 0 Partition 2: --- MSR (reserv)
Driver 0 Partition 3: Acer Main
Driver 0 Partition 4: --- Main
Driver 0 Partition 5: --- reconstituted (or something like that)

Under this it gives me the following options:
Update, Delete, Format, New, Load Driver, Expand

Under this there is a warning which says that the free space on the selected driver (partition 3) is smaller than the recommended 26064 MB. ON the picture I uploaded, the first column of numbers it the total space, and the second column is the remaining free space, I believe.

Is it clear what I should press at this point?

athi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by athi » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:23 pm

Kgk wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:53 pm
Hi Athi,
Ya, I know that picture I uploaded was really small. I kept needing to make it smaller and smaller to even be able to be uploaded.

Yes, I am able to delete partitions. Below is what the screen says. A dash means it did not say anything in that section:

Driver 0 Partition 1: ESP System
Driver 0 Partition 2: --- MSR (reserv)
Driver 0 Partition 3: Acer Main
Driver 0 Partition 4: --- Main
Driver 0 Partition 5: --- reconstituted (or something like that)

Under this it gives me the following options:
Update, Delete, Format, New, Load Driver, Expand

Under this there is a warning which says that the free space on the selected driver (partition 3) is smaller than the recommended 26064 MB. ON the picture I uploaded, the first column of numbers it the total space, and the second column is the remaining free space, I believe.

Is it clear what I should press at this point?
Start with selecting partition5, then select Delete after you select the partition. As each partition get deleted, there will be a new listing for unallocated space (free space). Continue deleting partition in reverse order (5-1) until all partition are gone and you only have the single listing for unallocated space. Then select the unallocated space (to tell Win10 installer to install there) and click Next at bottom of screen to continue installing Win10.

Edit: Yes, first column is the total size of partition and second is the size used. Partition 4 looks to be the partition created during the failed Mint installation. No clue what partition 5 is.

Kgk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kgk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi Athi,
I selected Partition5 and pressed delete, and when I did, a warning came up saying that this partition potentially contains important data from the computer manufacturer and that when I delete the partition all the important data from the computer manufacturer will be lost.
So I am concerned since I don't know what sort of data from the manufacture it is referring to, as it does not seem to be referring to Windows. Is this warning box normal or could this delete important stuff?

athi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by athi » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:52 pm

Kgk wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:43 pm
Hi Athi,
I selected Partition5 and pressed delete, and when I did, a warning came up saying that this partition potentially contains important data from the computer manufacturer and that when I delete the partition all the important data from the computer manufacturer will be lost.
So I am concerned since I don't know what sort of data from the manufacture it is referring to, as it does not seem to be referring to Windows. Is this warning box normal or could this delete important stuff?
Partition 5 must contain some Acer recovery data, you will most likely get some warning when deleting some of the partitions which is normal. If you want to leave partition 5 be, that would be fine since it is <1GB. Just delete 1-4, Win10 installer will create all the partitions required for a Win10 installation from the unallocated space that results from deleting partition 1-4.

Kgk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kgk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:02 pm

Hi Athi,
I clicked on partition 4 to delete it and got the same message about it losing potentially important data from the manufacturer. So I cancelled it and clicked on partition 2, and I got the same message.

I just realized though that partition5 is the recovery section. Should I delete 1-4 despite the warning box, and even though 3 actually says Acer next to it?

athi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by athi » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:10 pm

Kgk wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:02 pm
Hi Athi,
I clicked on partition 4 to delete it and got the same message about it losing potentially important data from the manufacturer. So I cancelled it and clicked on partition 2, and I got the same message.

I just realized though that partition5 is the recovery section. Should I delete 1-4 despite the warning box, and even though 3 actually says Acer next to it?
Yes, delete partittion 4-1. That message must be the standard warning when you try to delete any partition, otherwise why would it warn you about partition 4 which have 0 data. Partition 1 is EFI, partition 2 is Windows reserved, partition 3 (Acer) is where Win10 is currently installed, partition 4 was created during the failed Mint installation when you resized the Win10 partition.

Kgk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kgk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Hi Athi,
I am really confused. I left partition 5 alone and deleted the rest of the partitions. As you said, it created this new free space.

It said:
Free space 237.6 GB / 237.6 GB
Disk partition1 874.0 MB /467.0 MB (recovery)

I selected the free space and told it to install Windows. It said it was installing, and after doing so I got the Acer logo, and then when it booted up it asked me to confirm the language and time. I thought that was weird since I had already done that, but I pressed continue. (I did not need to fill in anything as Windows did it for me).

When I pressed continue though, it asked me where I wanted to install Windows. That was weird enough since it had JUST done that.

What was even weirder though, is that it is asking me WHERE to install it, and it showed the following partitions:

Disk0 Partition1: 529.0 MB / 515.0 MB Recovery
Disk0 Partition2: 100.0 MB / 69.0 MB System
Disk0 Partition3: 16.0 MB / 16 MB MSR (resrv)
Disk0 Partition4: 237.0 GB / 228.3 GB Main
Disk0 Partition5: 874.0 MB / 467.0 MB Recovery

So I don't understand where the partitions came from, or why it is asking me where to install windows after I JUST did this. I almost wonder if I should x out of it, or delete the partitions again and do it again. I don't know. Before it only had one recovery, and now it has two. The numbers seem to look even worse then the screenshot I posted of it before, but maybe this is normal. I don't know.

athi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by athi » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:59 pm

Kgk wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:42 pm
Hi Athi,
I am really confused. I left partition 5 alone and deleted the rest of the partitions. As you said, it created this new free space.

It said:
Free space 237.6 GB / 237.6 GB
Disk partition1 874.0 MB /467.0 MB (recovery) Left over partition from previous installation

I selected the free space and told it to install Windows. It said it was installing, and after doing so I got the Acer logo, and then when it booted up it asked me to confirm the language and time. I thought that was weird since I had already done that, but I pressed continue. (I did not need to fill in anything as Windows did it for me). You already specified the language and time, installer just want you to confirm.

When I pressed continue though, it asked me where I wanted to install Windows. That was weird enough since it had JUST done that. You told Win10 installer where to create the partitions but installer want you to confirm what partition to install the actual Wind10 files.

What was even weirder though, is that it is asking me WHERE to install it, and it showed the following partitions:

Disk0 Partition1: 529.0 MB / 515.0 MB Recovery Win10 system partition
Disk0 Partition2: 100.0 MB / 69.0 MB System Win10 system partition
Disk0 Partition3: 16.0 MB / 16 MB MSR (resrv) Win10 system partition
Disk0 Partition4: 237.0 GB / 228.3 GB Main Tell installer to install Win10 here
Disk0 Partition5: 874.0 MB / 467.0 MB Recovery Left over partition from previous installation, same as partition 1 above.

So I don't understand where the partitions came from, or why it is asking me where to install windows after I JUST did this. I almost wonder if I should x out of it, or delete the partitions again and do it again. I don't know. Before it only had one recovery, and now it has two. The numbers seem to look even worse then the screenshot I posted of it before, but maybe this is normal. I don't know.
Partitions 1-4 were created by Win10 installer from the specified free space. Partition 1, 2, 3 are Win10 system partition, partition 5 was the one that was not deleted to created the free space. You want to install Win10 on partition 4. Win10 installer may be confused by the presence of partition 5, which it did not create. Additional comments in red above.

Edit: please let me know if these explanation make sense to you.

Kgk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kgk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:41 pm

Hi Athi,
Ok, so if I am understanding correctly, when I selected the unused space and pressed continue, and it said it was installing windows, restarted the computer, and then asking me again, that is all normal. Is this correct?

I selected the partition you said, and when I did I got a warning box which said, “If the partition you selected contains files from a previous Windows installation, those old files and folders are moved to the “Windows.old” folder. You can access “Windows.old”, but you can't use the previous version of Windows.”

Does that seem normal? Should I just say ok and continue? It appears to not be deleting Windows and reinstalling it, but just moving Windows to a special folder and creating another version. Is this as odd as it sounds? Should I just press ok and continue?

athi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by athi » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Kgk wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:41 pm
Hi Athi,
Ok, so if I am understanding correctly, when I selected the unused space and pressed continue, and it said it was installing windows, restarted the computer, and then asking me again, that is all normal. Is this correct?

I selected the partition you said, and when I did I got a warning box which said, “If the partition you selected contains files from a previous Windows installation, those old files and folders are moved to the “Windows.old” folder. You can access “Windows.old”, but you can't use the previous version of Windows.”

Does that seem normal? Should I just say ok and continue? It appears to not be deleting Windows and reinstalling it, but just moving Windows to a special folder and creating another version. Is this as odd as it sounds? Should I just press ok and continue?
The multiple reboots during Windows installation is typical and normal. Win10 installer is telling you that if there are data on partition 4, it will move it to Windows.old folder, but partition 4 was just created and should have no data. This all seems kind of weird and annoying, but whoever wrote the installer seems to want confirmation at every step.

Yes, press OK and let Win10 installer continue.

Kgk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kgk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:19 pm

Hi Athi,
So I pressed continue and the exact same thing happened and it is asking me to install Windows. I have a thought though. When I had first installed Mint, when it needed to restart it said “please remove drive” or something, and it would not restart until I removed the USB. Windows never said that, so I did nothing. I think when it is restarting it is recognizing the USB with Windows on it and responding. I could cancel out of this, but I am not sure what would happen if I did. Should I do the same thing a third time and remove the USB when it restarts? Or do I do that now? It is the identical screen and asking me to install Windows, even though a second ago it said Windows was installed and so it was restarting as a result.

athi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by athi » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:30 pm

Did you select partition 4 before continuing Win10 installation? You should be seeing these 2 screens when Win10 installer is actually setting up Win10. After restart, installer will prompt you for user information or the Cortana screen will appears (depending on version).
6_Install_Windows_10.jpg
7_Install_Windows_10.jpg
When I install Windows, I just leave the DVD/USB installed until Windows boots into the Windows login screen. Mint liveUSB is different from Windows installation DVD/USB in that it will prompt you to remove the DVD/USB before reboot or shutdown.

Return to “Installation & Boot”